Info request (NB Type)

smudge837

Featured Posts

Hi all. Had a great weekend poking round boats and found a top 4, that if they are still around in July then jackpot.

The question I have is I saw a NB moored just down from the water point at the Wharf Inn Fenny Compton. Looked to be around 60ft, Trad stern and a black canvas canopy over ish 10ft area forward, green and cream color scheme. I do have a couple of pics but not sure if it's the right thing to post pics of someone else's boat.

I was wondering if there is a particular style type/ name as this seems to be the just right one I am looking for.

Any information on this type of boat or even this one, would be be very welcome.

cheers all

Smudge

If I understand what you're saying correctly, it's a well deck if the covered area is sunken, Ie, you step down into it and then enter through forwards doors? Sometimes with seats round the perimeter.

If it is not sunken and is just a long flat hull at the front, that's a tug deck.

It's more likely to be a well deck cos of the cover.

I am a big fan of both types myself.

Well deck-

shropshire_star_001.jpg

Tug deck-

14420081.jpg

(both taken from google searches.)

Edited by Starcoaster

Hi Star thanks for the reply.

the one I have seen, seems to have a bow cabin area,

A trad stern then ish 30ft accom area, then 10ft of cover area, then 8-10ft of bow.

I didn't have a good look under the cover, but it did seem to go down into a well deck.

I would say normally with a bow deck of that length, under a cratch would generally be a well deck- The exception being moored right next to me right now, a converted working boat with a front cabin extension to about 10' from the bow, then the short front working tug deck under covers.

But you can tell it's a tug deck because it's a cover, not a cratch...

I am not sure on what the etiquette is posting pictures of random boats is but I am fairly sure it's ok if you got a pic... Perhaps others can verify?

Or, pm it to me and I will see if I can tell more (from my very recent and limited amount of gleaned NB wisdom!)

I would say that if you took the photo in a public place and especially if it only shows the boat type rather than identifying any individual boat or location then it would be ok to post it. But it is good to see that some people do have some compunction about this.

Well deck-

shropshire_star_001.jpg

Ah, the well deck of the ubiquitous Norbury Wharf day hire boat. Aptly named because most of the time the hirers are well pissed on the deck! :cheers:

ETA One of the most attractively designed day hire boats around this area.

Edited by Doorman

I would say that if you took the photo in a public place and especially if it only shows the boat type rather than identifying any individual boat or location then it would be ok to post it. But it is good to see that some people do have some compunction about this.

You can post a picture of any boat you like, they're not people.

From Smudge's description, it sounds like either a working boat with a cabin extension, or (more likely in view of its length) one of those modern boats which have a short sheeted-over hold, thereby "suggesting" working boat design.

I will try this and see if it works. If not i will read up laters.

Thanks for the replies guys n girls

forwardpm.jpg

Woo hoo it worked

Edited by smudge837

To these eyes it looks like a modern boat which incorporates working-boat features such as the forecabin, the hold (really a trad-looking cratch cover on this boat) and the grippable flat-bar handrails (an excellent feature, much less danger of falling in than with normal cants). I have seen one very similar but do not know who built her.

To these eyes it looks like a modern boat which incorporates working-boat features such as the forecabin, the hold (really a trad-looking cratch cover on this boat) and the grippable flat-bar handrails (an excellent feature, much less danger of falling in than with normal cants). I have seen one very similar but do not know who built her.

It is 70ft, built by Mike Heywood in 2000, with a Lister JP2M which was hand start only until a few months ago, and original Blackstone gearbox . Under the faux canvas area is the saloon. More pictures here, although the boat name has now changed.

Excellent info, Dominic - and thanks for the phrase "Faux canvas area", I often wondered exactly what that feature should be called!

Yes Dom has such a nice polite way with words. I personaly would call it a " Bullshit Boat " :lol:

Tim

Yes Dom has such a nice polite way with words. I personaly would call it a " Bullshit Boat " :lol:

Tim

Perhaps he was offering it for sale and felt that such terminology migh deter potential customers?

Perhaps he was offering it for sale and felt that such terminology migh deter potential customers?

You probably don't attract many potential clients if you advertise a boat as a "Bullshit Boat", but then again, I may be wrong.

Peter.

You probably don't attract many potential clients if you advertise a boat as a "Bullshit Boat", but then again, I may be wrong.

Peter.

Exactly as I said, yes.

Carl, you're too late with that one, I'm sure it has already been advertised on eBay several times.

He could write up your brochures for you.

"Pig Ugly, Bullshit boat for sale...pump out so it's a worthless heap of junk. £80,000

Perhaps ive missed my way ? Ill give Dom a pm and see if he wants me to compile some brochures for him :D

Tim

Hi Star thanks for the reply.

the one I have seen, seems to have a bow cabin area,

A trad stern then ish 30ft accom area, then 10ft of cover area, then 8-10ft of bow.

I didn't have a good look under the cover, but it did seem to go down into a well deck.

Sounds a bit like our boat. Have a look at my avatar.

Nick

Edited by Theo