Tesco to pay BW to remove trolleys

MartinClark

Featured Posts

Wasn't there some history of them being charged anyway?

BW (and EA) has the power to remove trolleys and then charge a supermarket afterwards, but that depends on people making complaints to BW (or EA) and on the supermarket being chased to extract the money from them. Under this agreement BW will call regularly and remove whatever trolleys are there and Tesco has agreed to pay them, rather than be wait until BW chases them. Less hassle all round, I would have thought.

Well my first posting.Since I re-registered as someone else as some members decided to pull me down when I mentioned Malc who no longer is not in this forum,at that time I didn't know.

Well here goes again!!!!!!!!

Where would we be with out these supper markets, they have a big role play to us boater's, cheaper food and not too far to walk.

Most of us can take the trolleys back to our boats and take them back, but what do some do (not just yobs).

Where would we be with out these supper markets,

Buying decent locally produced food from the small retailers that the supermarkets have driven out of business, perhaps?

Why register as "someone else", btw?

It's not a crime to mention Malc. His name crops up now and then, still.

Edited by carlt

Buying decent locally produced food from the small retailers that the supermarkets have driven out of business, perhaps?

Presumably as this is only her second post, she has re-registered as someone else again.

New member with 'Angel' in their name... that rings a bell... Totally innocent of any association I am sure but an unfortunate choice?

OH MY GOD :blink: who was MALC and what on earth did he do? :blink:

Edited by bowten

Where would we be with out these supper markets, they have a big role play to us boater's, cheaper food and not too far to walk.

Cheap but NASTY, poor quality food!!

NO THANKS!!

I would much prefer to buy quality products from local shops and actively support all the small local canalside businesses, not a money grabbing conglomerate!!

I do hope this is the start of a new era when all supermarkets start paying BW for removal of their trolleys from the cut - after all, it's not exactly difficult working out where they'ce come from.

And Malc is so much better off being on a different forum.

Ok, nice start but after boating through Stalybridge in early April the shopping trolleys were the least of the problem. wheely bin, car wheels in the lock by the garage, child's slide. All in the same 2 pounds.

Was talking to a guy who said he worked for the council while we were doing some guerilla litter picking and he told us that the council was at an impasse with BW over whose job it is to pick the crap out of the canal.

And Tescos now sells a value brand balsamic vinegar, which is a crazy level of change since the 90s. Place is like the borg, but really rather good at giving people what they actually want. Reminds me of the episode of South Park where they try to kill the dark heart of Walmart and discover it is a mirror.

Edited by oarfish
  • Greenie 1

Cheap but NASTY, poor quality food!!

NO THANKS!!

I would much prefer to buy quality products from local shops and actively support all the small local canalside businesses, not a money grabbing conglomerate!!

Well said,that man!

Well my first posting.Since I re-registered as someone else as some members decided to pull me down when I mentioned Malc who no longer is not in this forum,at that time I didn't know.

Well here goes again!!!!!!!!

Most of us can take the trolleys back to our boats and take them back, but what do some do (not just yobs).

Was it members who 'pull you down\, or was it a 'pull-over' or even a cardigan maybe?

And why should Malc who is no longer on this forum care where you buy your supper from.

If these supper markets do have a big role for us boaters - shouldn't they move all their supper stores next to the canals, and should we stop other people from using them?

Maybe if we asked they'd sell other things that us boaters need, like boat-bits, and rope and things, and then we could call them supper chandleries?

And now some good news about the Huddersfield Narrow Canal!

Tesco is to pay BW to remove trolleys on a regular basis from the Huddersfield Narrow Canal at Stalybridge. It must be cheaper for them than fitting pound coin slots!

See report on the agreement between BW and Tesco.

Well, it is certainly good news. That much cannot be denied.

Much better news than;

http://menmedia.co.uk/tamesideadvertiser/news/s/507469_yobs_off_their_trollies

It is also spinning so much that it may take off into orbit.

Tesco are legally responsible for any of its trollies that are dumped, so the big news of the day is that after MANY years Tesco have actually decided to live up to its legal obligations.

That really, really sums it up!

I don't understand.

Does this mean that people who prefer quality food that is sourced locally and hasn't been shipped halfway around the world are as bad as the supermarkets that sell intensively farmed food and goods produced by children in slavery conditions?

I find it bemusing to see a South African apple proudly displaying a "shipped by air" sticker, half the price of an English Cox.

I don't understand.

Does this mean that people who prefer quality food that is sourced locally and hasn't been shipped halfway around the world are as bad as the supermarkets that sell intensively farmed food and goods produced by children in slavery conditions?

I find it bemusing to see a South African apple proudly displaying a "shipped by air" sticker, half the price of an English Cox.

No, surely it's a comment on those of us who really hate the idea of Tescos but (being weaker willed than you) then end up still shopping there because it's cheap and easy.

(Not for meat or veg though)

No, surely it's a comment on those of us who really hate the idea of Tescos but (being weaker willed than you) then end up still shopping there because it's cheap and easy.

I used to buy stuff like cleaning materials and such from the local Coop, thinking it was better than the big boys, but since reading Laurie's crusade against their employment conditions I've been getting that stuff from Asda (yes, Wal-Mart) only because everyone I know who works there says they are great employers (though that could be their successful brainwashing techniques).

I don't understand.

I feel I have to defend the South African Deciduous Fruit Growers at this stage (My Father was one) The English Cox at this stage would be about 6 months old and been stored in warehouses filled with gas to stop them from ageing. If you do not want to eat fruit that has been imported then at this time of year do not buy any fruit or else buy fruit that has been stored in gas and really will have very little taste.

I feel I have to defend the South African Deciduous Fruit Growers at this stage (My Father was one) The English Cox at this stage would be about 6 months old and been stored in warehouses filled with gas to stop them from ageing. If you do not want to eat fruit that has been imported then at this time of year do not buy any fruit or else buy fruit that has been stored in gas and really will have very little taste.

It was just an example.

I eat apples off my own ancient tree, usually mixed with blackberries off my own mad bramble patch.

I cannot eliminate all the gas from the freezer they are stored in but it is quite cold in there.

I have no idea what type of apple it is but it is delicious and locally produced.

Edited by carlt