Tesco to pay BW to remove trolleys

MartinClark

Featured Posts

I feel I have to defend the South African Deciduous Fruit Growers at this stage (My Father was one) The English Cox at this stage would be about 6 months old and been stored in warehouses filled with gas to stop them from ageing. If you do not want to eat fruit that has been imported then at this time of year do not buy any fruit or else buy fruit that has been stored in gas and really will have very little taste.

So that is why most apples taste of nothing nowadays!

I think the best way to eat apples and pears is in the fermented juice form. Far easier to store.

Ok, nice start but after boating through Stalybridge in early April the shopping trolleys were the least of the problem. wheely bin, car wheels in the lock by the garage, child's slide. All in the same 2 pounds.

Was talking to a guy who said he worked for the council while we were doing some guerilla litter picking and he told us that the council was at an impasse with BW over whose job it is to pick the crap out of the canal.

And Tescos now sells a value brand balsamic vinegar, which is a crazy level of change since the 90s. Place is like the borg, but really rather good at giving people what they actually want. Reminds me of the episode of South Park where they try to kill the dark heart of Walmart and discover it is a mirror.

I haven't seen that episode, but South Park is superb satire when on form.

I used to buy stuff like cleaning materials and such from the local Coop,

Coop is a consumer, not a worker cooperative. Very different beasts. And as a software contractor I have seen the absolute worst 1970s intimidation driven management practices from the coop.

• Greenie 1

I used to buy stuff like cleaning materials and such from the local Coop, thinking it was better than the big boys, but since reading Laurie's crusade against their employment conditions I've been getting that stuff from Asda (yes, Wal-Mart) only because everyone I know who works there says they are great employers (though that could be their successful brainwashing techniques).

That's nice to know as Asda is our local big bad boy of choice.

Wal-Mart in America was fined millions of $$$ for treating their staff the same way as the Co-Op.

"Walmart has payed out millions in law suits. Most settlements are based on employees getting ripped off on hours they worked. Walmart managers are responsible for reducing expenses every month and the only way they know how to do that is with the employees hours and pay. Aside of their health care issues and poor pay Walmart is known to discriminate against woman in the workplace. Currently Walmart faces one of the biggest suits in America. The company was using illegal immigrants for years to clean their stores for a special low price."

Edited by Laurie.Booth

Wal-Mart in America was fined millions of $$$ for treating their staff the same way as the Co-Op.

"Walmart has payed out millions in law suits. Most settlements are based on employees getting ripped off on hours they worked. Walmart managers are responsible for reducing expenses every month and the only way they know how to do that is with the employees hours and pay. Aside of their health care issues and poor pay Walmart is known to discriminate against woman in the workplace. Currently Walmart faces one of the biggest suits in America. The company was using illegal immigrants for years to clean their stores for a special low price."

As worn by David Byrne in Stop Making Sense

byrne.jpg

And I think that woman who is being discriminated against should just leave!

Presumably fined by the American Government.

I find it astonishing that they found anyone with a clear enough conscience, in the States, to prosecute another for oppression and discrimination.

I can only go on what friends who work for Asda tell me and they say a lot different things to what people working for the other two in Rugby (soon to be three) do.

Edited by carlt

Presumably fined by the American Government.

I find it astonishing that they found anyone with a clear enough conscience, in the States, to prosecute another for oppression and discrimination.

I can only go on what friends who work for Asda tell me and they say a lot different things to what people working for the other two in Rugby (soon to be three) do.

I'm sure Asda UK is OK.

worth pointing out that Asda and Tesco have made the decision not to require a £1 coin purely for commercial reasons - the reason being if it is easy we are more likely to take a big trolley into the shop and more likely to put more into it. I was told by a fairly senior Tesco manager that it costs Tesco £300Million !!!! a year to collect trolleys (staff to push them around the car parks, maintaining them etc.) but they still think 'free' trolleys are in their interests...

I'm all for any shop or supermarket making it easy for us to moor up and buy their goods. I'm constantly amazed by canalside businesses that go out of their way to discourage boaters from mooring up and nipping in to spend money with them...

worth pointing out that Asda and Tesco have made the decision not to require a £1 coin purely for commercial reasons -

Tesco actually introduced a £1 trolley lock a few years ago in Rugby but it didn't last long at all.

I think it's sad that we blame Tesco Etc. for trolleys in the canal when it is yobs not the supermarkets doing it. Why would Tesco want their trolleys in the canal at £100 each.

In Rugby the culprits tend to be boaters who leave the trolleys by the towpath rather than returning them and they are then handy for the vandals to finish the job.

I am militantly anti supermarkets for food. I find it so sad when people say the food is cheap. Maybe, if you want to live on taste-free shit. What is money for if it is not for the ability to eat good food? Supermarket meat and veg is generally of terrible quality. I've just come back from France, where markets and local shops thrive, money is spent on quality produce and people are thin. And not using trolleys, but their own bags. Walk into any West Midlands supermarket and see Britain's obesity problem puffing their trolley loads of crap through the check out. Sad.

In Rugby the culprits tend to be boaters who leave the trolleys by the towpath rather than returning them and they are then handy for the vandals to finish the job.

We will have to pay more for our licences to pay for the boaters who leave the trolleys by the towpath.

:)

I am militantly anti supermarkets for food. I find it so sad when people say the food is cheap. Maybe, if you want to live on taste-free shit. What is money for if it is not for the ability to eat good food? Supermarket meat and veg is generally of terrible quality. I've just come back from France, where markets and local shops thrive, money is spent on quality produce and people are thin. And not using trolleys, but their own bags. Walk into any West Midlands supermarket and see Britain's obesity problem puffing their trolley loads of crap through the check out. Sad.

I agree, sad that they smoke so much though.

:)

I think it's sad that we blame Tesco Etc. for trolleys in the canal when it is yobs not the supermarkets doing it. Why would Tesco want their trolleys in the canal at £100 each.

Whilst it is indeed true that the primary blame must fall on the idiots who throw the trolley in the canal (and in my experience, this is one area of yobbery where blaming kids is wide of the mark, it is usually boozed up morons in their 20s), it is inescapable that the supermarket is being irresponsible by leaving the trolley in a position where it is going to be available for misuse.

The store in question is a 24 hour one, and most nights nothing happens.

Saturday Night and Sunday Night, when the store is closed is when the problems happen, because not all the trollies are secure, and the reason that they aren't secure is penny pinching.

When the store opened, the trolley lads finished half an hour after closing time on Saturday and Sunday, and as a result ALL the trollies were locked up when the store was closed. They cut that to 15 minutes, which means that many trollies aren't back when they knock off.