Solar panels - again

davel

Featured Posts

Hi Dave

Is it this MPPT controller you're looking for? These have it on an offer reduced to £218.99 but the last day to order is tomorrow!!

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-prodshow/EMPPT4.html

Hope that's useful

Lewis

Cheers Lewis

This is the one I went for.

Did you get the Mt-5 Meter with it. I could not find the Meter on the sunshine solar website.

Cheers Lewis

Did you get the Mt-5 Meter with it. I could not find the Meter on the sunshine solar website.

The meter was temporarily withdrawn last week due to a quality control issue, the fix was completed and they were available again from Friday. Best supplier I have found on e-bay is Domitronic they have the 40A (more than sufficient) for £160 here.

40A tracer

They also do the MT5 for £21

Not wishing to hijack a thread but it is related. I'm one of those boaters who is a sucker for something for least money is good! I wonder if anyone would offer an opinion as to the practical value of the panel shown in the link? I realise its not going to be hard wearing or stand up to rough treatment but it does look as if it might serve a purpose!

Sun Power

Thanks in advance

Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks.

Many thanks to all have contributed to this thread.

I have now installed my Solar panels, this is the kit I used;-

2 x 195w Monocrystaline from SPV Concept Linky £304.20

Tracer 4215 RN with Remote meter from Ebay Linky Thanks Matty40s for the link earlier in the thread. £208.98

1 pair of leads and a pair of three way connectors from Matty40s £28.00

Total £541.18

The panels were collected from Wewyn Garden City by my parents when they visited to help us with the blacking saving us the delivery charge.

I am gong to have them flat most of the time but on occasions plan to prop them facing the sun in the evenings if I need extra charge.

I bought some rubber cabinet feet from Maplins and stainless steel eyebolts wich I will screw into the roof so I can padlock the panels down.

The instruction Manual is a bit hard to understand at times and the only data logging is for load output and appears to be just Ah and Wh consumed.

The Voltmeter on the boat is showing nearly 15v which I've never seen before and when we moved after being put back in the water I was confused for a moment when the ammeter was showing no out put from the alternator until I realised the battery were tippy top full and were not accepting any charge.

Cheers again all and happy solar sunshine.

Dave

You can but its not easy.

Can you tell us how it can be done please?

Just for information...

I've got a100W panel mounted flat with a standard controller. 4 x 110 cheapo (£68 ea.) newish batteries.

We've been on the boat since Thursday morning and came to fully charged batteries. Electric fridge. Radio on most of the day, lap top on frequently, 1800W PSW inverter on most of the time. TV on for a few hours a night.

OK it's nearly midsummer and it's been fairly clear skies, but I haven't had to run the engine and I'm still reading 12.65V now the sun has gone down.

Pretty pleased with that.

I refer you to post number 30.

The Forums are for Outback users only are they not and the Green monitor site makes no mention of Tracer in the systems it supports or am I missing something.

Cheers

Dave

There's a remote panel for it. I would like to know if you can data log with it.

If you just want simple data logging ie volts and amps (and watts...) then one of these is okay although not actually specified for the purpose by the manufacturer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eagle-Tree-MicroPower-RC-Data-E-Logger-V4-150A-Wires-/130553762992?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e659c54b0

I've got the older version (V3) hooked up to 450w of 12v solar on the roof of my barge and its nice to be able to see graphs of power going in and voltage (with my anorak on). It stores over a month's worth of data at a sampling rate of 1 minute when set to record just volts and amps. Then download via USB for graphs, excel file etc. Uses just 20mA.

It will also measure temperature which could be an interesting experiment ie temperature v panel output as solar pv tends to put out less power when it gets hotter one could possibly work out if it would be efficient to run a small pump to run cooling water over the array... :rolleyes:

I use trackers which i made from old motorised satellite dish mounts. I like animated solar rather than boring solar :wub:

Hi Folks.

Many thanks to all have contributed to this thread.

I have now installed my Solar panels, this is the kit I used;-

2 x 195w Monocrystaline from SPV Concept Linky £304.20

Tracer 4215 RN with Remote meter from Ebay Linky Thanks Matty40s for the link earlier in the thread. £208.98

1 pair of leads and a pair of three way connectors from Matty40s £28.00

Total £541.18

The panels were collected from Wewyn Garden City by my parents when they visited to help us with the blacking saving us the delivery charge.

I am gong to have them flat most of the time but on occasions plan to prop them facing the sun in the evenings if I need extra charge.

I bought some rubber cabinet feet from Maplins and stainless steel eyebolts wich I will screw into the roof so I can padlock the panels down.

The instruction Manual is a bit hard to understand at times and the only data logging is for load output and appears to be just Ah and Wh consumed.

The Voltmeter on the boat is showing nearly 15v which I've never seen before and when we moved after being put back in the water I was confused for a moment when the ammeter was showing no out put from the alternator until I realised the battery were tippy top full and were not accepting any charge.

Cheers again all and happy solar sunshine.

Dave

Can you tell us how it can be done please?

Just looking around for solar panels at the moment and trying to pick some hints and tips up. Did you put a shunt in your solar set up and was it on the positive or negative side. Cheers

Edited by lesrollins

The original question from Chris Pink was re an Outback controller & mate hub.

No probs

If you just want simple data logging ie volts and amps (and watts...) then one of these is okay although not actually specified for the purpose by the manufacturer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eagle-Tree-MicroPower-RC-Data-E-Logger-V4-150A-Wires-/130553762992?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e659c54b0

I've got the older version (V3) hooked up to 450w of 12v solar on the roof of my barge and its nice to be able to see graphs of power going in and voltage (with my anorak on). It stores over a month's worth of data at a sampling rate of 1 minute when set to record just volts and amps. Then download via USB for graphs, excel file etc. Uses just 20mA.

It will also measure temperature which could be an interesting experiment ie temperature v panel output as solar pv tends to put out less power when it gets hotter one could possibly work out if it would be efficient to run a small pump to run cooling water over the array... :rolleyes:

I use trackers which i made from old motorised satellite dish mounts. I like animated solar rather than boring solar :wub:

Thanks Magnetman, good to see you popping up now and then.

Just looking around for solar panels at the moment and trying to pick some hints and tips up. Did you put a shunt in your solar set up and was it on the positive or negative side. Cheers

No, the boat had an ammeter and voltmeter already I assume they have shunts (if that is what you are referring to).

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

this has been a really useful thread to read, i think i may buy the same set-up :-)

davel - do you mind filling me in on the cables and connectors you bought to go with the set-up?

this has been a really useful thread to read, i think i may buy the same set-up :-)

davel - do you mind filling me in on the cables and connectors you bought to go with the set-up?

Hi Iain - no problem at all.

The panels come with MC4 connectors, positive and negative on each panel. I had forum member Matty40s make up leads for me in 6mm square - one with a positive MC4 and one with negative MC4. Also he supplied a pair of connectors, one male/male/female and one female/female/male so I could connect the panels in parallel.

Depending on how far away the panels are from the batteries, you could have have 4mm square leads. I'd recommend PM'ing Matty40s to ask him for prices for 6mm or 4mm leads and the connectors.

Hope that helps - any further questions please feel free to ask.

perfect thanks davel. One panel will sit about 5m away, the other a wee bit closer.

when you say running in parallel, does that mean that one panel doesn't connect into the other then onwards, but that there is a separate set of cables from each panel going into the regulator?

Not sure that question made sense :-)

perfect thanks davel. One panel will sit about 5m away, the other a wee bit closer.

when you say running in parallel, does that mean that one panel doesn't connect into the other then onwards, but that there is a separate set of cables from each panel going into the regulator?

Not sure that question made sense :-)

Connect positive leads from both panels to one of the three way connectors and negative leads to the other then connect your positive and negative leads from the other end of the connectors to the controller.

Measure carefully the exact route the leads will take to the controller, it's surprising how much cable it takes to go round the twist and turns of the route.

• Greenie 1