Badgers affecting Oxford Canal water supply

Dominic M

Featured Posts

I thought this might be of interest: circulated to me and others by BW yesterday. I had already heard this as a rumour.

Dear Oxford canal customer/stakeholder,

I am writing to you on a sensitive issue concerning Boddington reservoir which I want you to be aware of directly from myself.

An extensive badger sett was revealed in January after vegetation works were undertaken as part of our feeder clearance programme.

This sett is in a position that impacts on the levels which the reservoir can be allowed to rise to – calculated and agreed with Natural England (who regulate badgers protected habitats) and Environment Agency (who control reservoirs under the Reservoir Act) as -1.5m below weir.

We have subsequently put in place further mitigating measures and plans which allow us to increase the levels at Boddington to 1.0m below weir.

Given the plentiful rainfall over the last week or so we have reached these restriction levels sooner than anticipated and have no option than to release water into the canal as water continues to flow into the reservoir. This is of great concern to us, as I’m sure it is to you , given the considerable efforts we are all making to conserve water as much as possible.

Let me expand on where we are with water and the forward plans we are investigating currently :-

- Currently Boddington is at 69% of capacity (ie the 1m below weir). Wormleighton is full , following previous backpumping into the reservoir and Clattercote (a slow filler) is at 62%. Overall the South Oxford group is at 70%. With rainfall into Clattercote the overall SOX position will be at c 72% of capacity after the weekend

- This compares with a total SOX group holding of 82% at the same time last year (Boddington 79%)

The holdings across Boddington were going down fast however this time last year, and we are confident that we can hold 69% for at least another couple of weeks.

- We are investigating options which in effect involve replacing the feeder that is affected by badgers with a parallel feeder (overall length of 325m) that is cut into an adjoining field. This not only involves discussions with the landowner concerned but also assessment of the topography of the land so we can be sure that we will achieve the necessary fall into the reservoir.

We estimate that it will take 2 – 3 weeks before we know whether the proposed solution is viable.

Rest assured we have a team on standby to undertake works as soon as we have the green light

We are precluded by law from impacting on the badgers habitat and therefore we have no option other than look at radical options that recreate the feed into the reservoir without disturbing them.

I will keep you updated as soon as I have further relevant news, but I would ask for your understanding of the specific circumstances and patience with regards to our efforts to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

I thought the Government were bringing in a trial cull of these creatures to help prevent TB in cattle. It seems odd that on one hand they will allow a cull whilst on the other treating them as protected species.

Boondock

the cull would make sense if they would only do it where the badgers are causing a problem like at wormleighton and at Southland on the wey and arun. we have had so many hoops to jump through with the reconstruction of the lock that its cost a lot of time and money because the furry critters can't be disturbed!!

I'm surprised they are totally 'precluded by law' from affecting the badgers' habitat, I had the impression that there's usually some way round these rules if there's a demonstrable need to do so. Maybe they can't do anything until the end of the breeding season?

Badgers have increased greatly in numbers over the last decade or so, probably one factor in the decline in hedgehog numbers, maybe it's time the rules were loosened a bit.

The culling business is a bit debatable, because there's a strong suggestion that if you cull from one area, badgers move from neighbouring areas to fill the gap & thereby increase the risk of spreading disease. Unfortunately people do get very emotional about it as well, more so than about other creatures for some reason.

Tim

It is widely claimed round here (Oxforshire/Warwickshire/Northamptonshire borders), the most of the badgers you see lying at the roadsides have been dumped there by farmers. I suspect there is more than a grain of truth in it. It does seem a bit unbalanced when a sett of badgers can threaten the supply of a very popular canal, and all the businesses directly and indirectly connected to its fortunes. And the private people who have shelled out no small amount of money for their cruising licences.

Edited by Dominic M

It is widely claimed round here (Oxforshire/Warwickshire/Northamptonshire borders), the most of the badgers you see lying at the roadsides have been dumped there by farmers. I suspect there is more than a grain of truth in it.

It's not the farmers who dump them, they bury them in a corner of a field. The ones on the side of the road have been dumped by the local hill billy lamping mob (shoot first ask questions later). If you ever get the chance to inspect this badger "roadkill" you are more likely to find a entry and exit wound from a .243 or .308 than wheel or bumber impact evidence. All done with the farmers consent of course.

Boondock

I'm surprised they are totally 'precluded by law' from affecting the badgers' habitat, I had the impression that there's usually some way round these rules if there's a demonstrable need to do so. Maybe they can't do anything until the end of the breeding season?

Badgers have increased greatly in numbers over the last decade or so, probably one factor in the decline in hedgehog numbers, maybe it's time the rules were loosened a bit.

The culling business is a bit debatable, because there's a strong suggestion that if you cull from one area, badgers move from neighbouring areas to fill the gap & thereby increase the risk of spreading disease. Unfortunately people do get very emotional about it as well, more so than about other creatures for some reason.

Tim

Licenced exemption:

"A license may be obtained from the appropriate authority in order to interfere with a badger sett for the purpose of agricultural or forestry operations, or to construct, maintain or improve water courses, drainage, and tidal defences."The Protection of Badgers Act 1992 (c. 51) Sec 10 (2) (d).

Yes, culling is debatable, and the Welsh, in their wisdom, have prohibited it, in preference to vacination. Will the cost of cull or vacination be less than or more than the present cost of livestock loss?

I would rather not have my hobby be the reason for a "cull" of animals going about their business.

If this is a recent discovery then why were there not measures in place deterring a new sett being established?

It isn't rocket science (it's basic civil engineering).

It is widely claimed round here (Oxforshire/Warwickshire/Northamptonshire borders), the most of the badgers you see lying at the roadsides have been dumped there by farmers. I suspect there is more than a grain of truth in it. It does seem a bit unbalanced when a sett of badgers can threaten the supply of a very popular canal, and all the businesses directly and indirectly connected to its fortunes. And the private people who have shelled out no small amount of money for their cruising licences.

Two Questions

Do you notice more dead Badgers on the road on a Sunday and Monday morning than at any other time?

If BW where aware of the Badgers in January why are they only now starting negotiations to cut a new feeder? They could have been surveying the land and talking to landowners 3 months ago.

It's not the farmers who dump them, they bury them in a corner of a field. The ones on the side of the road have been dumped by the local hill billy lamping mob (shoot first ask questions later). If you ever get the chance to inspect this badger "roadkill" you are more likely to find a entry and exit wound from a .243 or .308 than wheel or bumber impact evidence. All done with the farmers consent of course.

Boondock

Not necessarily. I can't comment on your areas of course, but in North Yorkshire there are significant problems with people lamping deer, badger, fox etc without consulting the farmer/landowner. It is effectively poaching, but not for the pot - and can involve use of some very lethal and unlicensed weaponry. As said above, .243 and .308 are commonly used - and not in a responsible manner :(

The police don't seem to be interested, it's all a bit rural and out of reach of the CCTV.

I would rather not have my hobby be the reason for a "cull" of animals going about their business.

If this is a recent discovery then why were there not measures in place deterring a new sett being established?

It isn't rocket science (it's basic civil engineering).

I agree entirely.

Roger

From my experiences in my past career as a highway engineer I know that badger setts can be relocated legally if there is sufficient justification.

Badgers and their habitat are afforded protection on the domestic level through the Protection of Badgers Act 1992. They are also included on Schedule 6 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and Appendix III of the Bern Convention.

To obtain formal consent to disturb or relocate a sett is a lengthy process so probably not feasible for this problem where an immediate solution is needed.

Mick

If they had said nothing - since the sett was hidden by undergrowth - and gone ahead and filled the reservoir the badgers would have relocated themselves and no-one would have been any the wiser

I wonder how tempted they were to do that

If they had said nothing - since the sett was hidden by undergrowth - and gone ahead and filled the reservoir the badgers would have relocated themselves and no-one would have been any the wiser

I wonder how tempted they were to do that

what bazza says is very true

if the water flowed into the set the badgers would relocate themselves without much problem

protection of these animals should be from people with dogs and guns, not from the forces of nature

the actions of BW and english nature is well over the top and unnecessary as well as costly

i was brought up in the sticks and still live there so know a little about this subject,

a little bit like the advice given by chris packham and kate humble on spring watch regarding feeding the

wild birds all year round, its bull s**t, winter, yes, but no longer, they are capable of looking after

themselves

alan

yes, i go along with that, but i am sure the reservoir would have been there long before the badgers

Actually I believe badgers predate the construction of the first reservoir by some millenia but you reinforce the point I originally made...

The arrival of a new badger sett is entirely predictable and it is a simple matter to provide effective deterrents which BW have evidently not done, meaning they now have to spend more money to avoid drowning the occupants.

The arrival of burrowing animals is always likely especially in new ground not colonised before and low water levels create just that opportunity -the lowered water level reveals new ground! Getting waterways refilled may be a problem if the lining is burrowed through in too many places.

:smiley_offtopic:

help, as a new member can someone enlighten me about the "warn status" below my profile

what have i done :unsure:

alan

You are the only person who can see that - apart from site crew of course. I suspect it does not show any warnings at all so do not be concerned - if it does show a warning then you must go and sit on the norty step right away, do not pass go and do not collect £200.

Welcome to the forum

You are the only person who can see that - apart from site crew of course. I suspect it does not show any warnings at all so do not be concerned - if it does show a warning then you must go and sit on the norty step right away, do not pass go and do not collect £200.

Welcome to the forum

phew!!!!!! what a relief, ta

Oxleas Woods off Shooters Hill in South London, once under threat from the proposed East London River Crossing which never materialised was under threat again by the ministry of defence wanting to place SAM sites in the woods as part of an Air Defence program for the Olympics.

The MOD have been told to sod off due to the presence of the rare plants Corky-fruited water dropwort.

so they have decided to site the SAM's on the roof of a residential block of flats in East London instead.

Sod the danger of having High Explosives in a residential area as long as the corky-fruited water dropwort are safe.

Mind you the woods are lovely, I was once posted to the car park to guard a film crew from the local woolwich scrotes as Rick Astley was making a music vid.

Didnt get to see rick and didnt even get a brew off em the tight gets!

Sod the danger of having High Explosives in a residential area as long as the corky-fruited water dropwort are safe.

They're pretty safe, sat on the roof, or in the woods doing nothing.

It's when they're fired and take out an aircraft over the residential area that they become more of a risk.