secure or not so secure

Pappa Lazarou

Featured Posts

On a recent visit to Shardlow Marina I was amazed to see the lack of security that the boats had.When I was moored at Shardlow all the pontoon gates had to be locked at all times day and night.At our recent visit we could walk to any boat we wished.At a time when mooring fee's are on the spiral, should not the marina owners be doing more to protect our boats. Is this the case at other marina's.

We are very pleased with the security at Calf Heath where we moor. Although it is a single locked gate which everone uses it does seem that people are very vigilant in keeping it locked at all times.

Those marinas where there are individual gates to each pontoon do, on the face of it, offer better security within the marina but people passing through the gates are on foot and often loaded up with things they are carrying to and from a car or using a trolley to take a full cassette or bag of coal to or from their boat and it must be "the norm" for people to leave it unlocked until they have finished going back and forth, then possibly forget to go back and lock it, or forget their keys and be locked out. In time it becomes tiresome and I would imagine if you have spent a few months or years regularly finding "your" gate unlocked then it will lull you into a fals sense of security when nothing goes wrong - then someone gets burgled and lo and behold - the marina refer you to the rules and the fact there is a gate with locks and so it is not their problem.

As much as I would hate ANYONE to experience a problem with theft I suspect until it happens the security will remain fairly lax

Some marinas are not at all secure. We kept our boat at one that had a public right of way through it. Having said that we never had a problem with security.

Do these help deter burglars, or do you brick up the pontoon entrances with them?

oops. :lol:

had no problems to be fair, but security is low at our marina...the pontoons have a piece of rope, to which is attached a 'moorers only' sign, on just a hook...not exactly a high level deterent for a marina with many outside visitors!

had no problems to be fair, but security is low at our marina...the pontoons have a piece of rope, to which is attached a 'moorers only' sign, on just a hook...not exactly a high level deterent for a marina with many outside visitors!

One of the reasons I dislike marinas ( Though I know find myself in one ) is all the poxy security. Do we throw great big fences round our houses that we lock up all the time. I am in Sawley which has an exterior gate I have to open on an evening to get to my boat. Luckily its just the one gate if I was in the bit I call " The Gulag " there is yet another gate to unlock/open before I could get to my LOCKED boat :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should mount machine gun posts also ?

Tim

One of the reasons I dislike marinas ( Though I know find myself in one ) is all the poxy security. Do we throw great big fences round our houses that we lock up all the time. I am in Sawley which has an exterior gate I have to open on an evening to get to my boat. Luckily its just the one gate if I was in the bit I call " The Gulag " there is yet another gate to unlock/open before I could get to my LOCKED boat :rolleyes:

Tim

The Gulag?

Those moorings to which you refer are the equivalent to the Penthouse Suite where the nobs like Grace n Favour and I moor. The extra gates are in place to make us feel superior!

Oh, then there is the extremly nobby Platinum moorings though

Ps. No machine guns but I do have a minefield around my boat. Ok, they might look like swans but they can blow / bire your fingers off

Edited by jelunga

Tim

It's called "a gated community". :P

The Gulag?

Those moorings to which you refer are the equivalent to the Penthouse Suite where the nobs like Grace n Favour and I moor. The extra gates are in place to make us feel superior!

Oh, then there is the extremly nobby Platinum moorings though

Ps. No machine guns but I do have a minefield around my boat. Ok, they might look like swans but they can blow / bire your fingers off

:cheers: I wondered how long you would be :lol:

I used to go to Sawley Marina fairly often to visit the chandlery. I travelled by 'bus. It was irksome that. although there was a gate into the marina almost beside the 'bus stop, it was always locked, so I had to walk along to that pseudo-pub, the Spank And Soddit or whatever, passing another (locked) gate on my way, then turn sharp left through the marina entrance and walk the 300 yards or so to the marina buildings.

It was annoying at the time, but in retrospect although the security arrangements may have been overdone they were obviously properly used by the inmates.

Tim

We rarely lock our boat....dog with a good woof though! I think the difference in a marina that encourages outside visitors is, you can be doing your daily whatever to find some stranger suddenly staring in your doorway at close proximity as if you were an exhibit! Now that IS annoying! The rope and sign generally deter, not always though, and then there are some that don't bother just hooking it back when they go through.

:) The security at my previous marina is very different to my present one, as at the previous one anyone could just walk along and have easy access to any of the boats :( They did have security lights ectera but the only gate that you had to pass through was near the office, and for a car to pass through the barrier you did have to know the password. But that was only on one side of the marina and you could easily just walk through on foot. The other side of the marina was easy to get to, as you could either just walk along to look at the boats or even go over the locks. During the day it was fine as lots of marine staff around and of course other boaters. But at night, ( with me being a bit of a night-owl lol )I would take Fred for a bit of a walk around the site and I would often see people wandering around just looking at the boats, and not all of them were folks based in the marina. I just used to make sure that when I was away from my boat that it was locked up securely :), because sadly in this day and age you do have to be careful with your possessions. But then again they are also brokers and on their site is a cafe and chandlery.

My present marina to me is great:), because to get onto the marina itself, you have to have an electronic card that will enable you to get through the gate :) you obtain this card when you register at the marina. The marina itself is part of a large holiday park complex and has a lot of security on the complex. The other moorers are brilliant and keep an eye out for each other and there is a fantastic community based at the marina :) To enable you to access The Venue complex with free swimming and passes to all the entertainment, you have to fill in a form and show that you paided your fees ectera and have you photo taken to get a pass :)

Some folks prefare the security that some marinas offer and some folks prefer to be out on the 'cut' and towpaths, but its whatever choice we all want to make :), for me to be based in a marina is the right choice for me at the moment as I like the security that it offers, but who knows in the future, that may change ( winning lottery ticket would do it lol) :rolleyes:

Ah, that sounds like good old Pillings.

The best for security that Iv'e been in was Barton Turns. Padlock on the boaters car park & PIN access to the pontoons with the gates closing behind you.

Sawley have put padlocks on their Elsan point and bins near the office buildings. People from other marinas were coming and emptying their cassettes and dumping their rubbish. So now you need the marina key to access then. Should help keep our fwws down

touch wood - here at Bristol marina, close to the centre of the city, I have kept a boat either in the yard or on a mooring for the past 6 years and have never heard of any theft or break-in of a boat, apart from one famous incident when some scallies arrived by boat and tried to steal some outboards. the word went out and the police soon apprehended the oiks.

I have often left tools and materials lying around and they have never been touched.

all down to the community spirit - unofficial neighbourhood watch.

Sawley have put padlocks on their Elsan point and bins near the office buildings. People from other marinas were coming and emptying their cassettes and dumping their rubbish. So now you need the marina key to access then. Should help keep our fwws down

THats absolutely awful, how dare they take advantage........

should I hand my key back?? ;)