Kelvin J4

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

you don't need any more engines Tom, unless we buy the AS3 so we have a 1, 2 and 3 cylinder set ;)

Go on, you know you want to. I'm quite tempted by the three as I have quite a few spares sitting in the shed - but I must resist. If it is the 3 from Walton then it's probably got a spare head with it too which I gave Ade.

Does your AS1 have a gearbox? I've never seen a marine version of the single though I know they exist.

Go on, you know you want to. I'm quite tempted by the three as I have quite a few spares sitting in the shed - but I must resist. If it is the 3 from Walton then it's probably got a spare head with it too which I gave Ade.

Does your AS1 have a gearbox? I've never seen a marine version of the single though I know they exist.

The singles had the smaller 'D' type box. These were also fitted to the earlier twins, but although perfectly capable of handling the engine power they didn't stand up well to heavy use of ahead & astern in the hands of working boatmen (plus probable occasional contact with canal debris didn't help)on the twins & so the change was made to the bigger 'F' type.

Tim

Edit to add that BW did fit a few Armstrong singles into working boats, probably as replacements for 9hp Bolinders, but soon found that they weren't powerful enough.

Edited by Timleech

Agreed, but far too many cylinders in my opinion!

On the other hand the engine room in Reginald is just about long enough....

Maybe, but I'm sure many would be prepared to stretch the argument just to have one of these gracing their engine room. 44bhp @ 1000rpm is not an outrageous amount if a prop could be accommodated to soak up all that torque.

In any case its been done in Pangur Bán

Our AS1 to which Daniel refers has got the D type box and the marine mounts onto the bell housing. It isn't however the later Petter version so it appears that either Armstropng offered the engine as a marine unit or soon after the takeover the AS1 was marinised using the well finished aluminium castings rather than the cheap pressed steel which replaced them. Perhaps it was a case of using up existing stock. Did Armstrong offer these engines as a marine version? Regards, HughC.

Our AS1 to which Daniel refers has got the D type box and the marine mounts onto the bell housing. It isn't however the later Petter version so it appears that either Armstropng offered the engine as a marine unit or soon after the takeover the AS1 was marinised using the well finished aluminium castings rather than the cheap pressed steel which replaced them. Perhaps it was a case of using up existing stock. Did Armstrong offer these engines as a marine version? Regards, HughC.

I don't really understand your reference to the 'Petter Version'? It was Parsons who marinised the Armstrongs, & I'm not aware of a different version of the engine having been made by Petters. Petters did rebadge one of their own engine line as an Armstrong, as a way of trying to maintain the Armstrong dealerships.

Tim

I don't really understand your reference to the 'Petter Version'? It was Parsons who marinised the Armstrongs.

Tim

You are quite right. The Armstrong's were marinised by Parsons. Where I am confused is whether or not the ASJ1M and the ASJ2M which were marketed by Petters after they took over were based on the Armstrong engines. Regards, HughC.

You are quite right. The Armstrong's were marinised by Parsons. Where I am confused is whether or not the ASJ1M and the ASJ2M which were marketed by Petters after they took over were based on the Armstrong engines. Regards, HughC.

I think they were rebadged PJs

Tim