Battery charger not working (help.) :-(

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Just looked, my 12v fuse box has the pop out of the wall type fuses and there are no blade type ones hanging around...

Mmmm. Have you extracted the bit of old fuse yet? They probably sell blade fuses in the marina's chandlery

No ... both because I am as sure as I can be from what I can see that it's not blown (unless something on the prongy bits outside of the plastic indicates this when the wire inside the plastic bit still looks intact?) and because it is so firmly stuck that I am concerned I will break the fitting holding it if I do so, breaking it irreparably and negating any possibility of it running again if it does indeed turn out to be not fuse related, as I suspect.

Does that make sense? Or is it pretty much fecked anyway so I should stop believing I can save it, and remove the fuse (even without one to put back in?)

Edited by Starcoaster

No ... both because I am as sure as I can be from what I can see that it's not blown (unless something on the prongy bits outside of the plastic indicates this when the wire inside the plastic bit still looks intact?) and because it is so firmly stuck that I am concerned I will break the fitting holding it if I do so, breaking it irreparably and negating any possibility of it running again if it does indeed turn out to be not fuse related, as I suspect.

Does that make sense? Or is it pretty much fecked anyway so I should stop believing I can save it, and remove the fuse (even without one to put back in?)

It looks like its corroded or burnt itself to the holder,and almost certainly lost contact,do the WD40 squirt and keep waggling it like a lose tooth,and it should come free.

once established if it IS dead...an ex-charger...gone to meet it's maker....it should still be under warranty, legally, even if the seller said a rubbish amount of time....'fit for purpose' etc...I don't know the actual legal lines, sure someone will, but a few months is less than you would expect for an electrical item and is therefore not 'fit for purpose'....has it a CE mark on it?

I've got the fuse out.

It appears it was fine (until I twisted one of the pins by yanking it out with the pliers.)

IMG_20120412_225823.jpg

IMG_20120412_225744.jpg

The pics so nice and sharp i can't see if the blades are burnt or corroded. do the holder contacts look clean and in good nick.the fuse doesn't look blown. Clean up the holder contacts and fuse blades scrape them with a tiny screwdriver or similar and put the fuse back and try it.

To me, it looks good... Not corroded etc. I can't get it back in now cos it's bent. :rolleyes:

Will see if the marina shop can provide a new one tomorrow.

Just twist it straight gently with pliers but CLEAN ALL the contacts before putting it back in.

Just a thought if you have no comeback on the seller ....

In my job (Caravan Engineer) I occasionally get power supplies and chargers repaired if the customer can't afford (or doesn't want to pay for) a replacement. Takes a bit longer but costs less too !!

You could give Dave Brannon at Leisure Electonic Repairs a call and see if he can help.

Details on his website HERE

No affiliation at all - just a satisfied customer ....

HTH

Andy :mellow:

no no no and no - never ever replace a higher rated fuse for one that has blown... a fuse blows for a reason

I still think Starry needs to either check her bank with a voltmeter or try her charger on another battery - I think it's goosed personally

Sorry for the late reply.

100% agree that this should be the case for those that do not understand the concept; but I did put foward a valid argument.

I'm very much with you on the "goosed" front. This small charger has probably been working its socks off for every moment it has been switched on; not something it was designed to do.

I suppose that the advice now is; if not a leading brand then at least a recogised brand, and a higher output.

The discussions on power audits and charger output will probably rumble on, but if the OP could stretch to a 30amp to 40amp unit the situation would be improved.

Steve

I think you have already pretty much established it is not the mains 'kettle' lead, and yours may be different, but computer power leads are usually kettle leads, and often the lead to a laptop will have a kettle lead as part of it, although sometimes they are the more rounded 'clover leaf' design.

Kettle leads do fail, and sometimes not completely open circuit, I have had to throw a few chinese ones away in the past.

Just a thought.

I've taken the top off of the thing to have a look if any circuitry was fried or anything obvious was wrong, I can't see evidence of another fuse anywhere.

First of all, see if you can dig out the email from Ebay and google the sellers address, sometimes it's the Ebay account for a regular company.

As the lid is off, look for any capacitors (cylindrical things like mini red bull cans) that are bulging at the top:

2011-10-09_130920_caps_bulged.jpg

If there are, sometimes warming them up with a hairdryer gets things working temporarily.

Make doubly sure the charger disconnected from the mains while the lid is removed.

cheers,

Pete.

with the charger plugged into mains flick the the crocodile clips together quickly a spark will indicate some output from charger dont hold them just a quick tap.

a similar technique can be used to awaken batteries tired from slow discharge.but only try this if supervised by a responsible adult

Starry if it's any help and you still haven't got things sorted, I could pop up to Braunston either early this evening or tomorrow - bringing with me a meter and toolkit, my small spare charger that you can borrow (it's not an automatic one but it'll get you back up to having full batteries), a spare fuse and a lifetime's electrical experience.

I'll send this by PM as well to hopefully trigger an email to let you know

• Greenie 2

Starry if it's any help and you still haven't got things sorted, I could pop up to Braunston either early this evening or tomorrow - bringing with me a meter and toolkit, my small spare charger that you can borrow (it's not an automatic one but it'll get you back up to having full batteries), a spare fuse and a lifetime's electrical experience.

I'll send this by PM as well to hopefully trigger an email to let you know

Well done that man :clapping:

All is good, thank you peeps and thanks for the offer, Allan.

I emailed the seller of this charger on the off chance he would give a crap even though they're now not on ebay, and he told me to do various diagnostics as mentioned here, agreed it was dead, and told me to send it back.

I had, in the interim ordered a cheap replacement one, and also have one being dropped off on loan to me on Saturday, as well as a couple of standby offers to look at this one before the seller agreed to take it back.

Thanks everyone!

All is good, thank you peeps and thanks for the offer, Allan.

I emailed the seller of this charger on the off chance he would give a crap even though they're now not on ebay, and he told me to do various diagnostics as mentioned here, agreed it was dead, and told me to send it back.

I had, in the interim ordered a cheap replacement one, and also have one being dropped off on loan to me on Saturday, as well as a couple of standby offers to look at this one before the seller agreed to take it back.

Thanks everyone!

R E S U L T !! Forum power...

cheers.gif

Nick

Hi Starry,

Bit late with a suggestion here, but when you get the replacement may I suggest you use it at least daily. Two reasons for this; firstly, the batteries will last MUCH longer with regular charging and secondly, the charger won't be working its nuts off every time you connect it up.

Cheers,

Tony

also sent by PM

Hi Starry,

Bit late with a suggestion here, but when you get the replacement may I suggest you use it at least daily. Two reasons for this; firstly, the batteries will last MUCH longer with regular charging and secondly, the charger won't be working its nuts off every time you connect it up.

Cheers,

Tony

also sent by PM

So, what's the current status ??

Nick