living with teenagers- storage issues!

Looby Loo

Featured Posts

I brought my two sons up on the basis that 'I' told 'them' how it was going to be. There was always an option to discuss, argue, consider and change, plus an ever watchful eye that no one got hurt. Compromise simply became a habit. They now have families of their own and all relations seem to be good.

They also seem to respect that, having sort of 'done my job' it is now time for me to pursue more self centred interests and they are all for it, except now 'they' are doing the 'watching' :rolleyes: Which is nice but can get a bit frustrating sometimes!!!

I may be getting older but I CAN still think for myself :lol:

I had a relationship a few years ago with a lovely woman and we had great hopes for the future. Sadly, her children had been brought up telling 'her' how it would be, and there was no question of compromise in their vocabulary, and it was obviously never going to change for her, sometimes I am not sure she wanted it to, but that is another story.........

Just life I suppose, different people, different ideas, but there always comes a point when you are either 'free' to now follow your own ideas, or are maybe left waiting to follow the orders of your children, who have moved on but don't seem to think you have right to do the same !!!

Only a few words on a very large subject !!! :unsure:

We have a 13 year old daughter who apparently lives on our boat. She appears from her cabin every now and then to be fed and watered, tells us to shut up, then goes back to her cave.

We have to park up the road from her school when we pick her up so that we are not seen, and have strict instructions not to embarrass her or speak above a whisper in public at any time.

However, sometimes this ease of embarrassment is useful as it can get her to do anything you want otherwise we mis-behave in front of her friends...!

We have a 13 year old daughter who apparently lives on our boat. She appears from her cabin every now and then to be fed and watered, tells us to shut up, then goes back to her cave.

We have to park up the road from her school when we pick her up so that we are not seen, and have strict instructions not to embarrass her or speak above a whisper in public at any time.

However, sometimes this ease of embarrassment is useful as it can get her to do anything you want otherwise we mis-behave in front of her friends...!

Haa

Thats girls for you :lol: they are far more monstrous than boys.....dont worry when she is about 19 she will become bearable again. :o

Am I the only person on this Forum that finds this rather sad?

:) I often play the misbehaving parent bit :rolleyes: and it does work lol have a greenie from me :)

:) I often play the misbehaving parent bit :rolleyes: and it does work lol have a greenie from me :)

It's great fun isn't it? Today I was swarking like a chicken and skipping down the isles of asda to have a laugh with her. She did not seem amused...! :rolleyes:

I used to have a hat shaped like a teapot, with a handle and a spout. When they were teens, if my children misbehaved I could threaten that I would wear the hat and skip down the road with them again, and they'd always behave perfectly for a while.

It's great fun isn't it? Today I was swarking like a chicken and skipping down the isles of asda to have a laugh with her. She did not seem amused...! :rolleyes:

I find that having a few drinks at occasions such as weddings and then dancing to ABBA works every time :lol:

Tim

:lol:

Isn't it great when the kids think they're in control of you, - - - - and you know otherwise!

Am I the only person on this Forum that finds this rather sad?

If you believe it literally - - - yes, I suspect you may be . . . . . . :rolleyes:

:lol:

Isn't it great when the kids think they're in control of you, - - - - and you know otherwise!

If you believe it literally - - - yes, I suspect you may be . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Embarrassing our children/grandchildren is what we were put on this planet for. It's a benign dictatorship after all.

Embarrassing our children/grandchildren is what we were put on this planet for. It's a benign dictatorship after all.

Totally agree, been there, done that, got the T shirt :lol:

Ann & David

Totally agree, been there, done that, got the T shirt :lol:

Ann & David

The big yellow storage thingies are very good. You can hire a "room-sized unit" of your very own for not a ridiculous amount of money. And they accommodate a teenager very well though it can be a bit tricky pushing them in in the first place.

Hello,

Many thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure where the idea came from that I was getting "bad attitude" from the children. That is certainly not the case. I have always put their needs above my own. They are now 2 wonderful semi independent young adults who I am immensely proud of. We've had discussions and their view is that I should just do whatever makes me happy. I'm merely trying to be ready with the best solutions I can find to the more obvious problems that are likely to arise. I'm sure there will still be lots I won't have anticipated. Storage rental seems to be a good idea. I'm afraid own boat/butty isn't an option and neither is keeping the house(which has to be sold anyway)or buying a smaller property to keep one foot on land.

It's been amusing to read of methods for keeping stroppy teenagers in check. I was fortunate that my eldest bypassed this phase completely and it was very shortlived in my youngest. We laugh about it, but teenage years can be a troubled and confusing time. I think the best remedy is for them to feel valued and loved unconditionally.