stupid rules

floatingtraders

Featured Posts

i have been reading about the visitor mooring and it occured to me that these rules are stupid and they were writen by the bw executive.when they finaly change the status to a trust can we as licence payers lobby for them to be changed...as nobody really keeps within them which make them invalid we need some common sense guide lines as to what is and isnt exceptable instead of rules that you have to broken in reality.make rules like you can moor up anywhere but it is your responabilty to clean the mooring spot even if its not your rubbish before and after you leave,it wouldnt be long before people on the boats would clean up after themselves in stead of constantly leaving rubbish every where they go every time they moor up.

i have been reading about the visitor mooring and it occured to me that these rules are stupid and they were writen by the bw executive.when they finaly change the status to a trust can we as licence payers lobby for them to be changed...as nobody really keeps within them which make them invalid we need some common sense guide lines as to what is and isnt exceptable instead of rules that you have to broken in reality.make rules like you can moor up anywhere but it is your responabilty to clean the mooring spot even if its not your rubbish before and after you leave,it wouldnt be long before people on the boats would clean up after themselves in stead of constantly leaving rubbish every where they go every time they moor up.

Think you will find that certain people will leave rubbish whatever the rules may tell them.

Ian.

It's the breaking of the small rules that will eventually lead to the breaking of bigger or more significant rules. That's just how it works. There was a time when everyone stopped at the traffic light and almost instinctively knew when it would change. It then got into going through on amber and then accelerating when amber was about to show. Now it's just one can go through on red. Most rules are fairly good ones and are there because there are people who think that stuff like the small rules do not apply to them.

it wouldnt be long before people on the boats would clean up after themselves in stead of constantly leaving rubbish every where they go every time they moor up.

So this is how you perceive your fellow boaters?

Good luck with your website

cheers.gif

A

Edited by Ark Right
  • Greenie 1

So this is how you perceive your fellow boaters.

Good luck with your website

cheers.gif

A

unfortunatly its not how i perceive them its is how they are,we could just bury our heads and pretend that its not us that litter the tow path but in reality it is. does the rubbish just appear from nowhere... thanks for the sinical good luck i am sure i will need it.

Edited by floatingtraders

unfortunatly its not how i perceive them its is how they are,we could just bury our heads and pretend that its not us that litter the tow path but in reality it is. does the rubbish just appear from nowhere... thanks for the sinical good luck i am sure i will need it.

I have never noticed any real problem of boaters rubbish on towpaths. Sure, now and then you see a load of junk left by some R.sole but not often and as has been said there are already rules against that and different rules won't make a difference.

Now what rules in connection with mooring do you suggest we lobby to change?

I think much of the rubbish is dropped by other users of the canal such as walkers and cyclists - everyone has seen the bags of dog poo in the trees!

Yes you do occasionally see a bin bag that has quite obviously been dumped by a boater but the odd bits of rubbish are more likely to be someone not on a boat in my experience

It doesnt give me any pleasure to confirm this fact, but the picture shows the bags of rubbish collected along the towpath from the winding hole on the Puddle banks on the GU up to Bridge 88 on the North Oxford. This was last Sunday - 1st April and I can assure you that 90% + was from boaters. An old Porta potti/old fenders and rope/ a fuel filter ( element and housing)/ large picnic table/ several gallon oil cans containing waste oil and the other more general rubbish. Yes there wasa some rubbish that could be dog walkers or cyclists, but that was a very small part of what we found. There is a lot of room for improvment, but the better news is that the section we cleared from Braunston Tunnel down to the junction a month ago has remained virtually clear. Litter breeds More litter ???

001.jpg

I regularly walk the towpaths of South Northamptonshire. I take bin bags and a litter picker, usually ending up with a few full bags at half distance. The rubbish is a mixture of beer cans,

pop cans/bottles, crisp bags etc. Disposable bbq's and sweetcorn tins too. It could have been dropped by anyone, walkers, cyclists, anglers or boaters. I have found some that is definitely boat related from time to time but it's not a large percentage overall, although it seems to be dumped in the same areas time after time.

It doesnt give me any pleasure to confirm this fact, but the picture shows the bags of rubbish collected along the towpath from the winding hole on the Puddle banks on the GU up to Bridge 88 on the North Oxford. This was last Sunday - 1st April and I can assure you that 90% + was from boaters. An old Porta potti/old fenders and rope/ a fuel filter ( element and housing)/ large picnic table/ several gallon oil cans containing waste oil and the other more general rubbish. Yes there wasa some rubbish that could be dog walkers or cyclists, but that was a very small part of what we found. There is a lot of room for improvment, but the better news is that the section we cleared from Braunston Tunnel down to the junction a month ago has remained virtually clear. Litter breeds More litter ???

001.jpg

We do try and clean where we moor up but you really go for it....thanks

I cant claim all the credit, we are a group working in an arround Braunston to try to improve our environment. Braunston Canal Volunteers is only a few months old but we are up and running, with the help of BW we are trying to put a bit back into the canals that give us so much pleasure.

• Greenie 1

I cant claim all the credit, we are a group working in an arround Braunston to try to improve our environment. Braunston Canal Volunteers is only a few months old but we are up and running, with the help of BW we are trying to put a bit back into the canals that give us so much pleasure.

does this group have a website or a name? i would like to add them to my website links page My links pagei would gladly give you and your group a website and hosting free of charge . i think that you are doing us all a great service keep in touch.

total respect.

dave

My son has 'scavenged' a lot of good 'rubbish' from around the bins where we're moored. He found a nice cat carrying box, just in time to collect his new kittens a few weeks ago, and last week he found a perfectly good Jerry can! Makes up for all the bags of dog poo he finds as well :wacko:

I may be being thick here but what Visitor Mooring rules are we talking about? Is there some rule about not chucking rubbish on the towpath whilst moored at a Visitor Mooring? Or is the OP suggesting that Visitor Mooring rules such as "Don't moor here for longer than 48 (or 24 or 1 etc.) hours" should be abolished?

I may be being thick here but what Visitor Mooring rules are we talking about? Is there some rule about not chucking rubbish on the towpath whilst moored at a Visitor Mooring? Or is the OP suggesting that Visitor Mooring rules such as "Don't moor here for longer than 48 (or 24 or 1 etc.) hours" should be abolished?

Beyond shit-stirring, it's hard to know exactly what the OP is suggesting

Richard

• Greenie 1

Nope not just you (two!)

oh come now, the OP's argument isn't that hard to follow.

He's saying that we should do away with the visitor mooring rules because nobody obeys them.

He then proposes a new rule about clearing up around your mooring. This would make the canal a more pleasant place because everybody will have to clear up around them because it is now a RULE and must be obeyed.

HTH

oh come now, the OP's argument isn't that hard to follow.

He's saying that we should do away with the visitor mooring rules because nobody obeys them.

He then proposes a new rule about clearing up around your mooring. This would make the canal a more pleasant place because everybody will have to clear up around them because it is now a RULE and must be obeyed.

HTH

I see where you are going, but wouldn't it be better if instead it was a

RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone would obey a rule like that

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Shouldn't boaters now be looking for some useful uses of the boater's council group. The IWA.

Has anyone heard wether they intend to surface somewhere soon?

I suppose they have to wait until C&RT are up and running before they can speak with any form of authority, although the first Council meeting was held last week. Don't hold your breath, however, because the start up day seems to be going back and back. It is now scheduled for somewhere between the end of June and late July.

Howard