Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

CRK3 = Beta BD3 wearing a green jacket, I believe.

Yes, same base engine (Fordson Dexta tractor I believe).

Both those engines have been on repeatedly, not sure whether the prices have come down at all though I'm sure he would listen to offers.

Tim

CRK3 = Beta BD3 wearing a green jacket, I believe.

I believe there are quite a few differences beyond the paint. In particular a different injector pump to make a BD3 run slower than a CRK, with a lot more torque. Same basic engine though, yes.

MtB

(Or at least, that's what the bloke at Beta told me!)

What - by painting it Lister marine grey? Most SR engines in boats are that colour

Richard

Well, you have surely seen more of them than I have. Some of the SRs which I have seen look more like Joseph in the Narrowboat Builders' Book - coats of many colours. (Yes, I realise that was a Petter).

But anyway this is far from being an SR, it's the big stuff, and most amateurs such as me would expect them to be outshopped in Brunswick green.

What are the differences between this HW2M and my HRW2M?

It looks identical to my HRW2M, other than mine being JCB yellow! I'm wondering if mine is mis-identified and is actually a HW2M

MtB

(Edit to change PCB into JCB. Weird how my brane works, it said JCB until after I pressed 'Post'!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ah, so THAT's why they chose that colour!

So did any makers paint their engines brownish-black for similar nefarious reasons?

Black has often been used, I've seen RNs and Gardners in (apparently original) black, I can't comment on the reasons why though.

Tim

What are the differences between this HW2M and my HRW2M?

It looks identical to my HRW2M, other than mine being JCB yellow! I'm wondering if mine is mis-identified and is actually a HW2M

MtB

(Edit to change PCB into JCB. Weird how my brane works, it said JCB until after I pressed 'Post'!)

Listers sometimes used just the base engine first letter followed by 'W' for the water cooled version and sometimes they didn't!

The watercooled SR was called an SW, but when they went from the SR to the more powerful ST, they couldn't call that an SW because then there would be two different engines with the same designator, so the watercooled ST was an STW.

IIRC there was a wet development of either the HA or the HB which was designated HW originally so when the uprated HR came along it became the HRW.

Have a look at this http://www.sleeman-hawken.co.uk/suppliers/lister-petter/engine-production-dates.html for production dates of the various Listers which may allow you to deduce ( guess!) some idea of which base engine was the core of the 'W' versions.

N

Ah, so THAT's why they chose that colour!

So did any makers paint their engines brownish-black for similar nefarious reasons?

Gardners are ok in light gray as, aledgedly, they don't leak oil ;)

When my JP stops oozing it's life blood out, it means the sumps empty laugh.png

Gardners are ok in light gray as, aledgedly, they don't leak oil wink.png

My Ruston & Hornsby doesn't leak oil, not onto the floor anyway, that's bone dry, even right under the engine. They were clever with the design and any oil leak, or fuel leak, is caught and channelled into a little bucket..

Casp'

What are the differences between this HW2M and my HRW2M? It looks identical to my HRW2M, other than mine being JCB yellow! I'm wondering if mine is mis-identified and is actually a HW2M MtB (Edit to change PCB into JCB. Weird how my brane works, it said JCB until after I pressed 'Post'!)

This is another site that gives useful spec on the Lister range. As you will see the HW (a watercoooled HB) had bore and stroke of 4" x 4.5" compared to the later HRW's 4.25" x 4.5".