Boat Fire

rallyfan

Featured Posts

The previous owner of our boat had variously stored some of these bits in the storage area under the rear cabin steps and in the battery locker which I wasn't entirely happy about due to the proximity to various bits of electrical gubbins.

So I reckoned on the front locker which is outside the living space and has nothing else inside that could possibly ignite it was the best and safest place and if it did ignite for any reason the fire at least would be outside the main living area. Of course it could be argued that a fire starting in the front cratch area could close off an escape route for us but storage on a boat as we know is inevitably a compromise some where along the line - and at least we could get out the rear.

The safest place has got to be up on the roof,''as heat and flames rise upwards''.Inflameable things could be kept in one of those ugly roof top storage boxes,but an insulated one so that spontaneous combustion doesn't occur when the sun beats on it.

The safest place has got to be up on the roof,''as heat and flames rise upwards''.Inflameable things could be kept in one of those ugly roof top storage boxes,but an insulated one so that spontaneous combustion doesn't occur when the sun beats on it.

Quite possibly - but I'm not a fan of roof top boxes - unless on a car.

They reduce the air draft and depending of course on exactly where they are, get in the way of the centre line(s) and the like.

It's exactly as you imply - it's how far do you take it to be safe??

They reduce the air draft and depending of course on exactly where they are, get in the way of the centre line(s) and the like.

I think they're horrid too.The people with the high ones perhaps chuck them in the water and tow them through bridges and tunnels.But a low flat one no higher than your chimney pot and fixed near the stern end where the roof's usually lower might do the trick.

Here is a tragic example of just how dangerous a petrol generator can be if used in the confines of a boat.

Mike Atherton lost both legs and an arm and his father-in-law a leg.

13 other members of the family suffered various injuries.

Boat Explosion

More happily, Mike Atherton hasn't let it destroy his life, see here:

making a come back

I am overwhelmed with admiration for him!

Joshua

Edited by Joshua

We have a locker in the front cratch where we store these type of items and the anchor/chain and wrap when it's not required to be ready for deployment.

Not an option for you though I guess.

so,according to current safety standards,should WHISKY and other volatile spirits should be kept in a dedicated locker?

so,according to current safety standards,should WHISKY and other volatile spirits should be kept in a dedicated locker?

I'll go with Graham's idea...

I do have a dedicated locker, otherwise know as the drinks cupboard. Which is kept fully stocked from oversea company

trips. There are many foods that could count as a fire hazard in the galley.

Firesprite

In the Fens

I hope not......

Halon has been a banned substance for a few years now.

By my reconing any Halon system must be getting on for 20 years old and would be well past its replacement date

Flood systems were still in use when I retired about 10 years ago maybe 12.

Here is a tragic example of just how dangerous a petrol generator can be if used in the confines of a boat.

Boat Explosion

making a come back

Joshua

Don't forget this line

"Still, investigators said: "The exact cause of the explosion cannot be determined."

Boat Explosion

making a come back

Joshua

Agreed!

What a horrific accident l really feel for them :o

I for one will be checking fuel and solvent containers when next on the boat and double safety measures when dealing with them l hope nobody goes through what that poor family did, really horrendous :(

Edited by Dorman

Flood systems were still in use when I retired about 10 years ago maybe 12.

A total ban on all halon systems was effective end of 2002. All systems had to be decommissioned by the end of 2003.

There was an exemption for some existing civil aircraft and military use

A total ban on all halon systems was effective end of 2002. All systems had to be decommissioned by the end of 2003.

There was an exemption for some existing civil aircraft and military use

I must have finished just before that, then.

Apoligies for going :smiley_offtopic: here but well aware of the ability of an insurance company to wriggle out of paying out on any technicality I recently telephoned my car insurance company to notify them of my name change after our wedding. They told me there would be a £35 administration fee for the change! I argued it was completely ridiculous to charge that amount for a simple change of name - it appears they could change my name without charge but they had to change my marital status to "married" and that affected the terms of the policy so there would be a charge :glare: The fact that "married" couple are actually classed as less of a risk than unmarried would mean the premium should reduce. Thankfully I managed to argue my case and they did it without charging but to say I was annoyed was an understatement!

I had a similar experience with life insurance. Years ago I had a joint policy on me and the wife. When asked if me or the wife had smoked in the last 10 years I truthfully replied "yes, my wife smokes". This loaded the premiums. Soon after, my wife packed up smoking. 10 years after she packed up I contacted the insurance company to see about a premium reduction............NO CHANCE.

Heads they win, tails you lose:-(

George ex nb Alton retired

Maybe off topic, but does anyone know a light weight, low power diesel genset, say 3KW electric output?

We are currently having one of these fitted, Genset VERY compact, light, VERY quiet, comparatively cheap to run, BUT not cheap to fit.

Joshua

Edited by Joshua

I do have a dedicated locker, otherwise know as the drinks cupboard. Which is kept fully stocked from oversea company

trips. There are many foods that could count as a fire hazard in the galley.

Firesprite

In the Fens

And to add the relaxing atmosphere, a few risky oil lamps dotted around :hug:

We are currently having one of these fitted, Genset VERY compact, light, VERY quiet, comparatively cheap to run, BUT not cheap to fit.

Joshua

So being a DC genset you will use your inverter for all your 240 supply? Or do you not use washing machines etc?

Not to mention countering the ballast effect of your boat!

Boat Explosion

making a come back

Joshua

Incredible guy and as you say, one can only have admiration for such a bloke.

The story simply serves as a valuable reminder of how we all should be cautios when dealing with fuel of any kind, but especially petrol. Thanks for posting it.

Mike

I'm not sure that a sprinkler would be the ideal thing for extinguishing a petrol fire.

If it's a dedicated accessory to a standard ABC rated extinguisher, that's installed within the generator enclosure, it should do the trick. But as previously stated, I shall seek the appropriate advice from the relevant experts before carrying out the work.

Mike

I did a double-take when I saw the name of the boat fire victim. He has the same name as me. I checked my limbs to make sure it wasn't me.

They say that you don't realize limbs are missing,it feels like they're still there until you try to use them.

Look at Douglas Bader in Reach for the sky.

They say that you don't realize limbs are missing,it feels like they're still there until you try to use them.

Look at Douglas Bader in Reach for the sky.

Does that apply to brains too? :wacko: