Displaying a licence on a butty

paddy r

Featured Posts

We need some advice on trying to find a way of displaying our licence for our butty when it has no windows. I'm sure it has been covered on here before but can't seem to find the relevant post. The number and the name is painted on the side, so BW would have no problem checking it, but it is a condition that it is displayed. Answers on a postcard please?

Paddy

The byelaws say that the licence should be displayed rather like a car tax disc

However, the fine for non display I think is just over £1 so no need to worry there ! BW check whether a boat is licenced by computer and if anyone sees a boat without a valid one, a check on Waterscape (licence checker) normally shows whether that the boat is licenced

They used to have a cast brass square licence holder with a glass window, I have one on Gazelle which also has no windows. If you put the licence on the glass and seal all the back up with aluminium tape it usually stays dry.

Of cause the numpties went from square licences to round to square or whatever shape they are now.

We need some advice on trying to find a way of displaying our licence for our butty when it has no windows. I'm sure it has been covered on here before but can't seem to find the relevant post. The number and the name is painted on the side, so BW would have no problem checking it, but it is a condition that it is displayed. Answers on a postcard please?

Paddy

I recall asking on here if anybody had ever been fined by BW for not displaying a licence on a licensed boat and no body could give any instances where somebody had.

I asked it because we were in the same situation last year as we are now - the license for 'The Dog House' was renewed this week and it was sent to our home as you would expect, however it won't be until next week that the licenses will be displayed, this being when we are next at the boat.

Last year it was several weeks like this because we kept forgetting to take them.

A patrol officer checking licences when we were moored at Alrewas with the old licences in the window didn't bat an eyelid

- I wouldn't worry about it.

Gazelle has sat around and cruised without a licence being displayed as the licence is sat many miles from the boat, it has never been a problem with BW as they know it's licenced the only trouble I had on the Thames was from that officious sod that run St Johns lock the rest were just great.

Paddy

Place licence between two pieces of perspex, sealed with silicon. Make a clamping device similar to a table tennis net (modified g clamp perhaps) and clamp to boat? Just a thought.

Place licence between two pieces of perspex, sealed with silicon. Make a clamping device similar to a table tennis net (modified g clamp perhaps) and clamp to boat? Just a thought.

While you've got the silicon out to seal the two sheets stick the license holder onto the boat with it. It'll cut off easily enough next year

I display an out of date licence and one of the bonuses is to give the curtain twitchers something to talk about!!!

I only display one, on the towpath side of wherever I am at the time, I keep the other in safe storage.

Curtain twitchers have moved on now, theyre new hobby is timing the 14day / 7day / 48hr moorings to the minute...

"Oh, you're moving on tommorow at 3 o'clock yes??"

I have the same dilema, for the past few years it has only had one licence displayed, what i might do is make a false window for the port side, make up a piece of glass thats painted up to look aged with false condensation and mildew, the insert a piece of paper behind approx the size of a licence but just print on it,

'Eff off don't be nosey' printed so the nosey busybodies need to get real close to read it!

The byelaws say that the licence should be displayed rather like a car tax disc

However, the fine for non display I think is just over £1 so no need to worry there ! BW check whether a boat is licenced by computer and if anyone sees a boat without a valid one, a check on Waterscape (licence checker) normally shows whether that the boat is licenced

Could you indicate where you got that information from? I would be interested, as I have never seen any reference to any fines in any BW legislation.

Edited by David Schweizer

While you've got the silicon out to seal the two sheets stick the license holder onto the boat with it. It'll cut off easily enough next year

I put our licence discs , sorry squares through a laminator - keeps them dry.

Edited by Ray T

They used to have a cast brass square licence holder with a glass window, I have one on Gazelle which also has no windows. If you put the licence on the glass and seal all the back up with aluminium tape it usually stays dry.

Of cause the numpties went from square licences to round to square or whatever shape they are now.

We had them made when they went square again and still stock them:

Square Licence Holder