I've bought a Butty!

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Good evening fine fellow Canalworld members!

I am pleased to say that I have today placed a deposit down on a butty to go with Judith Ann.

Her current name is Leviathan (not the 150K one, like i have moeny like that!) and has been based in the Middlewich area for a number of years. I am planning to restore her back to a working condition, but i am struggling to discover her history. Does anyone know her origins? She was discussed on a thread a few months ago HERE where there are some photos, i'll try and upload some tomorrow, but if anyone knows anything please let me know!!!!!

Kind Regards

Dan

Very nice.

Do you have the BCN number for it? If so I'll have a look and find the gauging sheet.

The was a boat called Leviathan many years ago that had a steam plant in it. The boiler was removed and ended up in President when it was first restored. Don't know if this is the same boat or not. (ETA - having looked at the pictures I would guess it's not)

Edited by Speedwheel

Well done - not bad looking for the breed!

i'm no expert on BCN boats, although I did once have one.

My gut feel though, as I said in the thread you have linked to, is that this one looks to me to be post 1900, rather than pre 1900.

(Now firmly awaits to be told he is wrong!).

If this is the boat I think it is its been towed by Judith Anne before. It once had a steam engine and if my memory is correct it was then fitted with aHotchkiss cone propulsion unit. It is a BCN boat but I can never remember seeing a BCN plate on it. Fairly sure its featured on a picture in a old K&A book. Keays did work on it in the 1970's.

Hi Laurence I think that one is currently residing in Braunston and was subject to a very "Dover"esque fit out. I may be wrong though, and any information is greatly appreciated, if it was towed by Judith Ann then alls the better!

Many Thanks

Dan

Didnt notice the link to other thread. That does look like a boat I remember and I would say from the T Stud it could be a Alfred Hickmans boat, I have seen that type of stud before and I believe I have a photo of a boat at Bradley yard in the 1980's or late 1970's with the similar fore end, see what you think, its the boat with the number on:

gallery_5000_522_6155.jpg

edited to improve info

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Didnt notice the link to other thread. That does look like a boat I remember and I would say from the T Stud it could be a Alfred Hickmans boat, I have seen that type of stud before and I believe I have a photo of a boat at Bradley yard in the 1980's or late 1970's with the similar fore end, see what you think, its the boat with the number on:

gallery_5000_522_6155.jpg

edited to improve info

I could certainly be persuaded.....

Several matches of particular features.

About 9" forward of that cross girder, the angle running along the top of the left hand side of the bow has a matchine downward distortion in it in "old" and "recent" pictures.

Also if you look at the rivets through the stem post, just above the level of that wide guard iron, (the name of which currently escapes me!), there appears to be a rivet head missing.

I'd say probably the same boat.

If it is the top appears to have subsequently broken off the front stud, and a crude bar replacement put on instead, (see the sunken picture).

How old do you reckon, please, Laurence ?

Good evening fine fellow Canalworld members!

I am pleased to say that I have today placed a deposit down on a butty to go with Judith Ann.

Her current name is Leviathan (not the 150K one, like i have moeny like that!) and has been based in the Middlewich area for a number of years. I am planning to restore her back to a working condition, but i am struggling to discover her history. Does anyone know her origins? She was discussed on a thread a few months ago HERE where there are some photos, i'll try and upload some tomorrow, but if anyone knows anything please let me know!!!!!

Kind Regards

Dan

When we were on the gas line contract late 60`s I`m pretty sure that a BCN boat with that name was used. IIRC it was used to ferry a small Massey F tractor about that was used for filling in the trench after the pipe was layed & welded. Later I think it was made into the[breakfast boat, wriggly iron porta cabin, large propane gas cyl, multiple burner gas ring etc.,+ 1 irishman about retirement age known to all as ``the boy`` ]

yeah, i believe thats the one that had the steam plant in, and was 150K at some point. Mine has a bit of work needed to look like that, but can't wait for the challenge!!

Dan

You are starting with a much nicer shaped boat in the first place though!

The one at Braunston is certainly no longer externally showing anything to support its former price tag.

Mind you, having watched some cowboy hirers on Saisons boats polling off her wooden cabin sides, and visibly doing damage, that's not somewhere I'd want to leave a boat very long!

Having searched my slides I have found a photo of the stern of the "likelysuspect" taken at Bradley yard. The good thing is the BCN number is showing! It is BCN 1645, a boat built for Alred Hickman (Stewarts & Lloyds later) in 1930, fleet number 32 and gauged at 70ft x 7ft 1". These were some of the last iron joeys built, Hickmans had their own dock just round the turn from Bantocks, today you can still see the edge of the side slips although the yard has been a car breakers for years.

gallery_5000_522_339127.jpg

Edited to add this boat in the photo was number 32 in the fleet and was built as "open iron boat"

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Blimey Laurence,

that's fantastic information, thank you so much for taking the time to look through your slides.

I don't suppose you have any copies of the guaging sheets?

Regards

Dan

I havent copies just short form notes, there may be someone on here who has otherwise its pot luck at the BW archives - wherever they are now! I think the odds of the boat in my pictures being the one in the other pictures are very high.

Hi Laurence,

i shall put the feelers out!

i agree regarding the pictures. As Alan said in a previous post, the similarities on the bow, are pretty much unique, and at the stern, i have a photo which you can just make out the position of the gauging plate!

There is another Hickman boat on the national Historic ships website, which is BCN 1570, so that discounts that one if nothing else!!

Another link is that BW comissioned Leicester uni to do a survey on two boats, of which BW 80393 is one, details can be found HERE. Interestingly on this, on the side plan, there is a patch welded on the front, at the rear of the two lower guards. This corresponds to the fact that the guards have been cut and reattached in the same position, so i believe this also confirms the identiy, along with positions of some of the other patches.

Bit by bit we're getting there!

Regards

Dan