I've bought a Butty!

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Original intended pairing was with 'Aquila' but that doesn't mean anything!!!!

Dan

Most (if not all) G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. 'Star Class' narrow boats were initially operated as per their intended pairings. AQUILA and ARA have consecutive health registration numbers (Brentford 490 / 491) as well as consecutive G.U. gauge numbers (G.U. 12440 / 12441), and period documentation (health registrations) list the "master" of both boats as John Taylor.

This was not the case with the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. 'Town Class' narrow boats which came from three different builders and consequently had staggered delivery dates, although many (but not all) of the 24 Large Woolwich pairs certainly did work together when new.

I dread the time that Cephus come up for sale, as I know i'll be very tempted to put the pair back together again B)

CEPHEUS and CYGNUS were also paired together from new, under the 'captaincy' of William Kempster, and also have consecutive health registration and G.U. gauge numbers.