Red Ensign

saltyseadog

Featured Posts

:blink: Do any of you fly the red ensign (red duster) on the stern of you're narrow boats.

Last year on the oxford & grand union canal my daughter spotted 32 different flags in a weeks sailing.

The usual red ensign, english, scots, welsh, northern irish, scull & crossbones, USA, Australian, South African, Dutch & probably one of the not so common Costa Rican Flag.

Have any of you spotted any strange ones & do you think it is important to fly the RED ENSIGN.

Salty!

Just a thought:

Ensigns - Information

In 1864 our present system of ensigns was adopted, for use at sea.

The Red Ensign was allocated to the merchant service;

The flag allocated to Naval vessels was The White Ensign;

The Blue Ensign was allocated to Ships in Government service.

ENSIGNS are 'worn' by ships or boats but are 'flown' when used ashore such as at a club.

Any British citizen can use the Red Ensign in any vessel which is either owned or hired. Ensigns should be 'worn' whenever the boat or ship is afloat, be it day or night and are usually worn at the stern. When at anchor or alongside , the Ensign should be worn during daylight hours only.

The White Ensign maybe worn by certain vessels of the Royal Yacht Squadron of the Royal navy.

So the question could be asked: on the inland waterways are you at sea?

Hey, don't get me wrong I've no problem with the red ensign ( although I would fly the RAF ensign!) but perhaps St Georges flag might be an option for those who give a damn. I fly the burgee of my Club but have been giving some thought to the red cross on white back ground.

We used to fly a Burgee on the front of the trip boat I used to skipper. The sole purpose of this was to warn us which way the wind was blowing at a particularly tight winding point, so that we could position the boat apropriately to avoid hitting a bridge. Apart from that I cannot see any reason why anyone would want to fly a flag from a narrowboat, particularly one which is only relevant to sea going vessels.

We'll be "wearing" the Cornish Ensign (aka St.Pirans Ensign) - see left - as from tomorrow on Twelfth Night. Wave if you meet us on the S&W, T&M or Shroppie

:blink:

Edited by Big John

Ships at sea fly the flag of the country of registry at the stern, to signify country of registry.

As far as I know, the UK is the only country who do not fly their national flag over the stern - just the red ensign or red duster as it is more commonly known.

Merchant ships do not fly the Union Jack at all and naval ships fly it as the jackstaff on the bow.

As all UK canal craft are effectively British, I cannot see the point, but everyone to their own.

I have seen a few hire craft with foreign visitors flying their national flags and I've seen a narrowboat flying the South African flag (presumerably because the owner hailed from there), - whatever floats your boat.

May be we should all start flying county flags to denote county of boat origin based on place of home mooring! :blink:

Mark

Edited by NB Willawaw

We fly a redensign. As do most of the boats at SBA meets.

- Not quite sure its nessary on in-land waters, but its just a bit off fun i guess, quite a number of them are ex-seaman, or at least like to think they are.

- And then a lot of them also fly the SBA bergee on the fordeck of there boats. Although we dont atm becuase we dont have anywhere to put it anyway!

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

On my Norman I had the Skull & Crossbones which I made. I then found a marvelous supplier for flags, as others wanted one. So I got an English St Georges Cross, the Union Jack, and the Confederate Flag.

I was told that if I fly the pirate flag I could still be arrested and sentenced to hang until death. Apparently this old 18th century law had never been repealed, although I have since learned this was done a few years ago. Any information gratefully received.

You can see all the flags on these pics http://community.webshots.com/album/74682007rJBQjR

So for fun I could fly different flags for different occasions. The St George for upsetting the Scottish and Welsh, the Confederate for upsetting the Yanks, the Union Jack for the purists (only supposed to be flown on a boat when royalty is aboard) and the pirate flag if I've missed anyone.

Now I got a Union Flag from the £1 shop. Very useful to see which way the wind is blowing when coming in to moor on a windy day.

http://www.flags-online.co.uk/

I ordered my flags from here by telephone in the mid afternoon, and was amazed by the prompt service. They were in my letterbox when I arrived home the next afternoon, and the post then still arrived at around 9.00am. And there was no extra charge for postage. They are in Windsor and I'm in Lincoln. Now that's what I call good service.

Why does everyone instinctively think about 'buying' things. I have a book which details signalling flags, just for fun we made a set of flags which spell out the boats name we use them at daft rallies and things.

More complicated that you might think with repeat flags and other variations, surprising to find how many chaps can read them though.

I think it is a pity that people don't observe flag etiquette. Flags shouldn't be for novelty value, they have a meaning. Half the boats in Bristol Marina fly Union Jacks, and several the Jolly Roger. It becomes meaningless. You won't see much abuse of flags in a salty environment, where traditions and etiquette seem to count for much more.

So please just fly the red duster and your club burgee. You probably don't fly the Union Jack at home, so why do it on the boat?

Flying the St George's Cross is forgivable this summer.

from a reactionary traditionalist grumpy old man. :blink:

I think it is a pity that people don't observe flag etiquette. Flags shouldn't be for novelty value, they have a meaning. Half the boats in Bristol Marina fly Union Jacks, and several the Jolly Roger. It becomes meaningless. You won't see much abuse of flags in a salty environment, where traditions and etiquette seem to count for much more.

So please just fly the red duster and your club burgee. You probably don't fly the Union Jack at home, so why do it on the boat?

from a reactionary traditionalist grumpy old man. :cheers:

Well said, Chris, from another Grumpy old man. I hate to see flags being used incorrectly. Those very people who claim to be patriotic are sometimes the worst offenders. If you must wear a flag please fly the Red Ensign with pride.

Howard Anguish :blink:

Well said, Chris, from another Grumpy old man. I hate to see flags being used incorrectly. Those very people who claim to be patriotic are sometimes the worst offenders. If you must wear a flag please fly the Red Ensign with pride.

Howard Anguish :cheers:

Each to his own, some years ago, I was aboard a French car ferry, we met a British Submarine coming into port. I was very impressed to see a crew member despatched to the stern to "dip" the ensign as a salute to the sub. The fact that a busy car ferry could find the time to observe the niceties of marine etiquette surprised me.

However to me, the sight of an ensign dangling (they rarely fly) off the back of a canal boat, cruiser or narrowboat, often with the steerer wearing a captain's hat is little more than prattish.

Tony :blink:

:blink:

from a reactionary traditionalist grumpy old man. :blink:

:cheers: Couldn't agree with you more chris. I have been at sea all my life and there is nothing prouder than having the "Red Ensign" flying from the stern of the ship. The men of the merchant navy kept the country going during the dark days of the war, the red ensign flew off the stern of those ships. The little boats that made their way to Dunkirk to save our troops flew the red ensign.

If you have a boat show respect to those British Mariners who gave their lives - fly the RED ENSIGN.

A flag to be proud of!

Salty!

Why does everyone instinctively think about 'buying' things.

I agree John. I never buy anything. Ok correction I buy very little. I made my pirate flag by painting a piece of black cloth from an old skirt in my rag bag. I found the picture on the net, and printed it out, then drew a transfer and lastly painted on the cloth.

I bought some for others, and the flags I used, resold to someone after a year or so. Think I lost the cost of a brush handle for the poles, but only a quid or two.......for all that fun.

However to me, the sight of an ensign dangling (they rarely fly) off the back of a canal boat, cruiser or narrowboat, often with the steerer wearing a captain's hat is little more than prattish.

Tony :blink:

Yes Tony the captains hat is prattish but I think that flying a skull and crossbones is the ultimate in prattishness. What on earth makes people want to do that? :cheers:

Regards

Howard