Summer 2012

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

I've more or less decided an itineray for this year. February 28th I am free to leave Sowerby Bridge and head for the Trent. Up the Trent, (any advice on when best to go up the Trent, springs, neaps, times etc gratefully received)then head for Calf Heath. I have it in my itinary that I must visit the Anchor on the Shroppie at least once a year, and this year I'm going to buy new fenders from Mel. Next, provided my booking comes through (must get the form in the post) I'll be heading for the Lancaster. The Mersey crossing from Chester(ish) to Liverpool is tantalising, otherwise all the way round to the Leeds Liverpool to York and Ripon.I might then fit in Chesterfield, Sheffield and even Boston, dependant on how the rest of the trip has gone. Roll on spring

I've more or less decided an itineray for this year. February 28th I am free to leave Sowerby Bridge and head for the Trent. Up the Trent, (any advice on when best to go up the Trent, springs, neaps, times etc gratefully received)then head for Calf Heath. I have it in my itinary that I must visit the Anchor on the Shroppie at least once a year, and this year I'm going to buy new fenders from Mel. Next, provided my booking comes through (must get the form in the post) I'll be heading for the Lancaster. The Mersey crossing from Chester(ish) to Liverpool is tantalising, otherwise all the way round to the Leeds Liverpool to York and Ripon.I might then fit in Chesterfield, Sheffield and even Boston, dependant on how the rest of the trip has gone. Roll on spring

I like springs on the trent, you get there before you set off. Dont take advice from those of us thats done it just phone the lockies at Keadby and Cromwell, theyve forgotten more than we will ever know. I tend to just set off and go without an itinery and just let things happen. York and Ripon are fab. :cheers: Oh and take a vhf on the Trent even if to just keep a listening wach.

I'm not clear on when you might do the Chesterfield. Just be aware that the upper reaches are cut-off by a stoppage at Turnerwood until the end of March 2012.

Pearley (nb Joanie M) is also heading for Keadby, West Stockwith and the Chesterfield in the near future.

Dear Dr Bradley - please ensure that within your plans you ensure that you do nothing which might cause you to type in your cruising report the words "it was then that the **** broke down" (for **** insert any possible item that could have the capacity to fail as applicable) If you can manage that then it will mean we can all breathe a sigh of relief and be happy for you wherever you go.

If you do manage to get up The Chesterfield towards the end of the year be certain to let us know because we can pop out and visit you by car.

It all sounds amazing and I look forward to following your travels

We will be leaving Calf Heath early May heading for the Lancaster Followed by a trip back down to Liverpool then possibly a return via the Peak Forrest. May see you somewhere along the way. Major

This is before you set off: Calf Heath Banter

so please join us and put lots of faces to forum names that you are certain to meet again throughout the year as you cruise

Everyone will be heading North.

It'll be the only part of the system that will have water

:captain:

I'm on the phone at the moment to see if we can get Hadrian's wall moved a bit further South...

Everyone will be heading North.

It'll be the only part of the system that will have water

:captain:

Sat ont boat at the moment as usual cos I can :cheers: and 2 local bw guys been to assess some small repairs just along from my mooring and they had to check the water depth at the side as part of the job they need to do. I am quite concerned because at present at the shallowest part right at the edge there is only 8 feet 6 inches of depth at the moment :lol: I hope we manage this year..........

• 1 month later...

I set off on the 1st of March for a warm and sunny trip to Horbury, where the Navigation had been recommended - I do not pass on that recommendation. £3:25 a pint! Sunday was wet so I had a day off reading Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Though a childrens book I found it a good read. On to Thorne to meet up with Tim who is joining me for the run up the Trent. Calling at a chandlers there I asked how long to Keadby. The reply was that they'ed never done it in less than 5 hours, though they had heard of it done in 3.5 - 2.5 hours later we were in Keadby - what do they do with their time. Over three hours waiting for the tide whilst watching the burnt out pub being demolished - we are told that the landlady set fire to it then cleared off. It being early March the last few miles were inevitably in the dark, where I led Tim astray. I realised my mistake and pulled out but too late for Tim who went aground on a falling tide.

He abandoned ship for the night and stayed on DBL then in the morning we went back to rescue the boat. It was windy and at the top of the tide when he came off the mud so we abandoned the anchor and went to collect without problems the following morning. This stopped us having a quick trip to Lincoln and we are now in Newark. Staying tomorrow before heading towards Nottingham on Saturday.

My early posting of an itinary has to be updated - I could not get a booking on the Lancaster so will have to drive to the wedding. Shame. I will gradually make my way to Calf Heath for Easter, might have a spell at the Anchor then head south for the Lapworth banter. After that I have no idea, but it will probably include a return to the Anchor.

I have had no internet for 10 days as I used up my 15gb allowance. Didn't realise that the usage moniter recorded my 2 computers separately.

About to set off to Nottingham, hope the Trent Lock pub is ok tonight. If I remember correctly they do quite a bit of live music.

Edited to add, we didn't get to Trent Lock as I wanted to stop to follow the football. Now in the middle of Nottingham.

Edited by Dr Bradley

We've now arrived in Willington, where Tim and I will probably part as I intend to stay here a while to do work on the boat (Midland Chandlers may be useful) though possibly a tripto Burton and back first.

We'll be coming by that way some time next week. Will PM you when we know exactly when - it'd be rude not to stop off and have a beer or three with you :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Hard to believe it's early March since I last posted on here. A combination of travelling home a lot, poor internet connection and the real excuse, too much time in pub's. As has been recorded elsewhwere I attended Jan and Dave's excellent wedding banter at Calf Heath then moved on to the Anchor for a weekend. Also headed home for a couple of weeks to finally get my van mobile again. Am now in Penkridge or a few days as I have a good mobile signal so can listen on Radio Lincolnshire to the most important match of the season so far (and possibly the last), the second lg of the conference northe playoffs, Halifax v Gainsborough.

Cycled back to Brewood to pick up the van - it's uphill all the way yet I only came down 5 locks. If I'd cycled back it would probably have been uphil all the way back too, I'm not much of a biker these days.

I was going to go down to Gloucester until I saw pictures of the Severn, it's three miles wide, so I'm off in the oter direction now ad heading towards theAshby for a while.

Hard to believe it's early March since I last posted on here. A combination of travelling home a lot, poor internet connection and the real excuse, too much time in pub's. As has been recorded elsewhwere I attended Jan and Dave's excellent wedding banter at Calf Heath then moved on to the Anchor for a weekend. Also headed home for a couple of weeks to finally get my van mobile again. Am now in Penkridge or a few days as I have a good mobile signal so can listen on Radio Lincolnshire to the most important match of the season so far (and possibly the last), the second lg of the conference northe playoffs, Halifax v Gainsborough.

Cycled back to Brewood to pick up the van - it's uphill all the way yet I only came down 5 locks. If I'd cycled back it would probably have been uphil all the way back too, I'm not much of a biker these days.

I was going to go down to Gloucester until I saw pictures of the Severn, it's three miles wide, so I'm off in the oter direction now ad heading towards theAshby for a while.

I have to interject, didn't realise you had a cruise blog/post this year. The most important match has yet to happen , we have achieved stage1 of the semi finals against Brummingham.

I must add that DR Bradley was slowed in his onward journey (a bit) buy having to tow a 70ft butty called Old Friends through about 8 miles and 5 locks......most of it in the dark.

Utmost and magnificent thankyou's.

I am aiming at the Ashby this week......can I break down going towards Hinkley..... :cheers: