shower waste drain pump

sorry

Featured Posts

Can anyone give me advice my shower waste drain pump does not seem to be pumping water out, it is making a noise like it should be pumping have look for blockages and the outlet appears clear. I have been told to get the pump head cleared as this could be clogged up with hair yuk. I would like to try and do this myself as skint at the mo, but dont even know how to get to the pump...can anyone tell me the obvious place to look.

thanks Eve

Can anyone give me advice my shower waste drain pump does not seem to be pumping water out, it is making a noise like it should be pumping have look for blockages and the outlet appears clear. I have been told to get the pump head cleared as this could be clogged up with hair yuk. I would like to try and do this myself as skint at the mo, but dont even know how to get to the pump...can anyone tell me the obvious place to look.

thanks Eve

if you have access to the pump..mine has a filter on it...you need to clean that...also pop out and ask some of your fellow boaters......forget about money your asking for help...i would help if I was near by eve

thanks Eve

I was going to suggest under the bottom of a nearby cupboard but, looking at the interior shots of your boat again on the Piper web-site, I see you haven't got one (Certainly in the picture view that I could find). It might be below the bath/shower combo behind the white front panel but, as has been suggested, follow the noise. Failing that a call to Piper's in the morning should get you the info.

Roger

Ours did the same. Pump full of yucky hairs from various parfs of bodies. We have an inspection doir under the shower tray that gives access to the pump. Was an easy if yucky job pulling all the hairs and crap out of the valves etc. now use a plug hole filter which stops the big hairs.

Our problem is residual water flowing back after turning the pump off. Going to try a non return valve in the outlet pipe.

thanks Eve

Have a look outside of your boat, there should be a skin fitting or hole near the bathroom window, it wont be to far from that inside the boat. When you find it, do as Sheriff says and look next to it, there should be a filter in line with the pump. First unscrew this by hand and remove the gunk, if thats not the problem then remove the head of the pump, normally 4/5 bolts and take a look. If all else fails and you need to replace, I would get a whale gulper, eats hair gunk for brekkie. good luck and if you can post a pic I am sure we can talk you through the process. I did mine with no prior knowledge, its how you learn innit :cheers:

Ours did the same. Pump full of yucky hairs from various parfs of bodies. We have an inspection doir under the shower tray that gives access to the pump. Was an easy if yucky job pulling all the hairs and crap out of the valves etc. now use a plug hole filter which stops the big hairs.

Our problem is residual water flowing back after turning the pump off. Going to try a non return valve in the outlet pipe.

gross! love learning my way around the boat but this is a job I am not lookin forward to...

Have a look outside of your boat, there should be a skin fitting or hole near the bathroom window, it wont be to far from that inside the boat. When you find it, do as Sheriff says and look next to it, there should be a filter in line with the pump. First unscrew this by hand and remove the gunk, if thats not the problem then remove the head of the pump, normally 4/5 bolts and take a look. If all else fails and you need to replace, I would get a whale gulper, eats hair gunk for brekkie. good luck and if you can post a pic I am sure we can talk you through the process. I did mine with no prior knowledge, its how you learn innit :cheers:

Thanks for the advice, will have a go at it tomorrow, if I get stuck and you don't mind will send a pic...wish me luck and thanks again eve

gross! love learning my way around the boat but this is a job I am not lookin forward to...

Thanks for the advice, will have a go at it tomorrow, if I get stuck and you don't mind will send a pic...wish me luck and thanks again eve

Hej, a worse job will be cleaning and replacing the parts in my manual Jabsco pump out toilet!

Do we know what make of pump it is?

They don't all have filters - mine doesn't. It's a whale gulper.

Your right, although I deducted that if it is blocked then it's unlikely to be a gulper and therefore should have a filter. I left the filter on mine when I got a gulper but took it out in the end because it dosent need it.

Do we know what make of pump it is?

They don't all have filters - mine doesn't. It's a whale gulper.

Agreed and ditto. If it is a vane pump of some sort it will make a sort of whirring/screeching sound (and shouldn't be run dry for too long) and it is this type that is likely to have the pre-filter. If it is a Whale Gulper it will make a sort of Kersplunk, Kersplunk, Kersplunk :lol: sound and probably won't have a filter but can be run dry for extended periods.

Roger

Thanks all

am going to attempt removal of the bath panel and will let you know how I get on, thanks for your advice

Eve

Looking at the tour of your boat I would guess this would be the first place too start, too make sure before taking the panel off take a glass or screwdriver and press against ear and panel (turn pump on) and you should be able too tell if pump is behind..

For those folk that don't have a Gulper but an impeller or cloggable type of pump like myself a homemade pre-filter in the trays plug hole as i described the make up of a few months ago,but was pooh poohed by many of the more effluent owners, stops all muck getting any further and much easier to clean.

Edited by bizzard

For those folk that don't have a Gulper but an impeller or cloggable type of pump like myself a homemade pre-filter in the trays plug hole as i described the make up of a few months ago,but was pooh poohed by many of the more effluent owners, stops all muck getting any further and much easier to clean.

Would appreciate directing me to the post to which you refer, I'd like to 'pinch' your idea if that's OK