Another pub bites the dust

skywatcher

Featured Posts

We went for a chug down the shroppie at the weekend, and stopped at the Shady Oak in Tiverton nr Chester, for a bit of scoff and a few jars of Black sheep, only to find it had closed. Apparently it closed just before Christmas. What a shame. Another pub gone like many others. I'll be going tee-total at this rate......never.

Paul

Well, the Shady Oak seems to shut down just about every year. It'll probably reopen again in a few months...

I am not surprised! One bank holiday monday, four of us turned up at 6.50pm for a meal to find the food stopped at 7pm i.e. we were too late. Having returned to the boats to knock up a quick meal, we returned to the pub at 8.50pm for a few drinks to be told "the bar shuts at 9pm so you will have to be quick".

George ex nb Alton retired

I get the impression that a few pubs simply don't want to do any trade. And then they moan about lack of trade when they go out of business...

I'm not sure whether they simply don't want to trade, or, they've simply reached rock bottom in trying to make a viable business run whilst suffering from an overpriced landlord's agreement, coupled with restrictive purchasing clauses.

This subject has been broached recently in another thread and the conclusion appeared to be that until greedy pub chains wake up to their unfair rental and business practices, decent pubs will continue in decline.

One of the next to go will be the historical Bridge Inn at Audlem. Thousands of pounds have been thrown into this 'money pit' in the vain attempt at restoring its declining trade status, but sadly to no avail.

When will these paragons of commerce ever learn?

Edited by Doorman

Yes, the Romping Donkey closed again a few months ago, last time I was in the beer was in poor nick, the food looked unappetising & it did not feel a welcoming place. The Royal Oak at Road Heath was quite reasonable, with a beer in good nick & good value food. Down in Wheelock the Nags Head has been shut for a while, whilst the Cheshire Cheese does a decent pint & reasonable pub grub. My favourite in that neck of the woods is the Commercial Hotel, usually with a decent pint of Weetwood or other local brew, I would say this pub might not appeal to most normal but it is querky & I like it.

Cheers, Brian

Down in Wheelock the Nags Head has been shut for a while, whilst the Cheshire Cheese does a decent pint & reasonable pub grub. My favourite in that neck of the woods is the Commercial Hotel, usually with a decent pint of Weetwood or other local brew, I would say this pub might not appeal to most normal but it is querky & I like it.

Cheers, Brian

Hi Brian,

We stopped in Wheelock for an overnight stay and ventured into The Cheshire Cheese for some lubrication. The locals invited us to join them around the table that sits in the window alcove. We had such a laugh with the characters in there. :cheers: .

Mike

Yes, the Romping Donkey closed again a few months ago, last time I was in the beer was in poor nick, the food looked unappetising & it did not feel a welcoming place. The Royal Oak at Road Heath was quite reasonable, with a beer in good nick & good value food. Down in Wheelock the Nags Head has been shut for a while, whilst the Cheshire Cheese does a decent pint & reasonable pub grub. My favourite in that neck of the woods is the Commercial Hotel, usually with a decent pint of Weetwood or other local brew, I would say this pub might not appeal to most normal but it is querky & I like it.

Cheers, Brian

Got to agree about the Commercial. Cracking boozer and beer. A step back in time, its like appearing in an episode of Heartbeat.

My brother and I recently travelled to the area of our upbringing. We are both in our late fifties and hadn't 'been back' for some forty years or more, together.

However, as you do, we ventured into the Bridge Inn at Adlington one afternoon and had a real insight into a 'local' pub as they used to be. Good beer, excellent lady behind the bar. nothing was too much trouble. Everytime someone came in there was a pantomime played out with first class wit and sarcasm. A pub load of character(s)

Reminded me of the TV programme 'Early Doors' that is occasionally repeated on Sky or Cable channels.

Those that know the pub will know that it is old school and has probably not changed for many years.

A great four days away in Lancashire.

Martyn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I was the one who told everyone the Shady Oak, Tiverton Shroppie had shut! We called today on our narrowboat on the rumour that the Shady Oak had now opened. Well, I wish to tell you good news that it has been bought, it is being run by a very lovely landlady and it was refurbished three weeks ago and has been open about a week! The menu is basic at the moment but will be updated - you can get a three course Sunday dinner for £10.95 and Scampi and chips for £6.50, kids meals £3.50 and full English All Day Breakfast. She is replemishing the drink stock so again that is limited- I couldn't have a malibu and coke but she did have beers like John Smith, Black Sheep and lager and a selection of soft drinks.

The pub was busy when we went! As it's one of local's 3/4 of an hour away by boat we will definately go back again!

The road to the pub is also opened if you wish to try it by car. British waterways have repaired the bridge that take's you to Bate's Mill opposite and beyond.

Edited by Chloe

Hi everyone!

I was the one who told everyone the Shady Oak, Tiverton Shroppie had shut! We called today on our narrowboat on the rumour that the Shady Oak had now opened. Well, I wish to tell you good news that it has been bought, it is being run by a very lovely landlady and it was refurbished three weeks ago and has been open about a week! The menu is basic at the moment but will be updated - you can get a three course Sunday dinner for £10.95 and Scampi and chips for £6.50, kids meals £3.50 and full English All Day Breakfast. She is replemishing the drink stock so again that is limited- I couldn't have a malibu and coke but she did have beers like John Smith, Black Sheep and lager and a selection of soft drinks.

The pub was busy when we went! As it's one of local's 3/4 of an hour away by boat we will definately go back again!

The road to the pub is also opened if you wish to try it by car. British waterways have repaired the bridge that take's you to Bate's Mill opposite and beyond.

Great news! :cheers:

It's always sad to hear of a good pub going under, specially a canal side one. Let's hope that the new landlady is an independant licencee and not a tenant who's constrained by high rents and restrictive trading practices.

The breweries suffer from terminal narrow minded attitudes that have helped with the demise of many a good watering hole. :angry:

Unfortunately this is happening across the country. The breweries have sold of the pubs and are quite happy to supply the supermarkets with beer.

The pub chains will only let their pub landlords buy from them at their price, the price to the customers goes up, wages are down. The customers go to the supermarkets, the pub chains close the pubs and sell the pubs to developers as they have decreasing profits. Result: No pubs.

Im glad Im not a landlord or tenant.

Seagull

The Shady Oak was a funny old pub. I feel it was neither one thing or another - not quite a gastro pub (the front felt like your Aunts' dining room and you had to walk past highchairs and stored stuff to get to the posh bit) - neither did it feel like a comfy local. Also the loos has broken locks on the doors and there were cobwebs all up in the corners of the main dining area above the windows; and generally while I was boating round Chester two years ago, it felt unloved. Also the few times I went in there, half the menu was unavaible every time. If it could sort out its identity crisis, and look like someone cared, it might do well.

Hopefully it'll be cheered up a bit now. :unsure:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

The Shady Oak was a funny old pub. I feel it was neither one thing or another - not quite a gastro pub (the front felt like your Aunts' dining room and you had to walk past highchairs and stored stuff to get to the posh bit) - neither did it feel like a comfy local. Also the loos has broken locks on the doors and there were cobwebs all up in the corners of the main dining area above the windows; and generally while I was boating round Chester two years ago, it felt unloved. Also the few times I went in there, half the menu was unavaible every time. If it could sort out its identity crisis, and look like someone cared, it might do well.

Hopefully it'll be cheered up a bit now. :unsure:

Hi.

The problem is, to get to the nitty grity, money. If there are no prospective clientelle and no local trade there is no way if funds are not available that a pub can be revitalised.

Please do not get me wrong. I love going into an old pub set back some fifty odd years or so and drinking some wonderful ale. Unfortuately everybody is not like me (some would say "good job" :D ). You need the local and passing trade to survive so I am certain there will be many more pub closures.

Seagull.

Unfortuately everybody is not like me (some would say "good job" :D ). You need the local and passing trade to survive so I am certain there will be many more pub closures.

Seagull.

In this current age of austerity, I'm sure you're correct in that assumption. The survivors will be the ones who care about their business and that includes the breweries.

In our village there are three pubs, the oldest of them is quoted in some of the popular fictional canal books that are available. This particular pub, with all of its history, is the one that is struggling to survive, even after the brewery has invested thousands of pounds in refurbishments.

The other two pubs attract a core customer as well as good passing trade. Their key to survival is to promote regular events such as quiz nights and live music. We used to attend one of the quiz nights in our favourite pub, that is until we grew bored with the solemn and serious atmosphere on these weekly occasions. You would think that the quiz teams were sitting their finals for a degree! If any of them bought a pint you knew they were intruders, the rest would just sip tap water through a straw all night.

So, we ventured across the village to the other succesful pub where the quiz night is peppered with humour and attractive prizes. The contrast in the atmosphere is remarkable, together with the buoyant beer sales! Both quizes pass on their profits to local charities.

Our favourite pub has a dart team and two pool teams, together, they create a dedicated customer base who enjoy a pint or three. They also invite teams from other pubs to attend a cordiality evening, where they can play darts and pool on a casual basis. On these occasions, the pub is packed solid with customers who enjoy a good laugh and a tasty pint of ale.

The weekly live music night is usually well attended, depending on the quality of the band and the good ones have loyal followers, so its reserved tables for the lucky ones. There is also a weekly folk night that attracts talent from near and far. I'm convinced that some of the old and unusual instruments that are played, were originally advertised in the Doomsday Book!

All in all, these events draw in the clientele that hopefully sustain the likes of canal side pubs in these days of clenched purses and wallets. The pub is still seen as the hub of the local community and long may it continue that way (hic).

Edited by Doorman

Of course we have to put up with the pub chains deliberately sabotaging one pub if they have another nearby. By putting in an incompetant landlord, supplying duff beer, cutting down on maintenance it is very easy to persuade customers to go to their other pub. It is very easy to then claim that they cannot make a profit at that pub and close it.

I have seen this happened to two of my local pubs both of which were thriving. They have both been demolished and houses and flats now stand on the sites. Of course, the building land in the area costs a fortune. Very nice for the shareholders. We don't use their other pub, we prefer to use our bus passes to go elsware to a Wetherspoons so the pub chain has shot itself in the foot. This is a great shame as our locals were a focus for our community and Wetherspoons do not have the same atmosphere.

The last remaining pub in the said chain has an enormous car park but the building is listed. The beer is rough, the food is not to be reccommended. This building is probably destined to be turned into flats, keeping the facade and the car park built on.

On another tack, a lovely little pub I used to use when out on the boat (no names no pack drill) mysteriously burned down one night. The pub chain owned another enormous pub on the other side of the river. The little pub was never rebuilt. I leave you all to draw your own conclusions.

Seagull. :cheers:

We went for a chug down the shroppie at the weekend, and stopped at the Shady Oak in Tiverton nr Chester, for a bit of scoff and a few jars of Black sheep, only to find it had closed. Apparently it closed just before Christmas. What a shame. Another pub gone like many others. I'll be going tee-total at this rate......never.

Paul

On a positivish note.....The BADGER at church minshull is open again (has been for a month or 2) but it's more of a restaurant than a pub now and not cheap!!! but at least it's open.

I am not surprised! One bank holiday monday, four of us turned up at 6.50pm for a meal to find the food stopped at 7pm i.e. we were too late. Having returned to the boats to knock up a quick meal, we returned to the pub at 8.50pm for a few drinks to be told "the bar shuts at 9pm so you will have to be quick".

George ex nb Alton retired

Had the same experience in September 2011 saturday lunch time--shame

As I posted elsewhere on another topic, we see it regularly. We are a group of about 8 who've been hiring together for 20 years - and every single one of those twenty years, we come across at least 1 pub who won't serve a meal because the kitchen has just or is just about to shut... :angry: We like our ale and 8 meals plus about 50 pints of ale would surely be welcome in his till - but no.. To be fair, there are also those who see 8 people walk in and do the maths.. There was one pub (no name no pack drill..) who had actually finished serving at 8pm, but due one thing and another, we didn't get there till after 9 - but he did the maths.. took us into the [now empty] dining room having said that his chef had finished, he still managed to provide 8 meals and a free egg (.. as we had mentioned that we were one egg short for breakfast !) and with the beer we supped, we put the best part of £200 into his till - no wonder he could afford to give us an egg...