Tring Summit Closed until further notice

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

Tring Summit (Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and Lock 49, Northchurch)

Wednesday 11 January 2012 until further notice We will be lowering the operating levels of the Tring summit by 300mm from Wednesday 11th January 2012 (am).

The immediate affected area is between :-

Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and Lock 49, Northchurch (NB. there is a full stoppage already planned at Lock 49 from 23/01 to 03/02)

The above section will be CLOSED to through traffic and moored boats* from Wed 11th Jan(am) until further notice.

Reduced operating levels (300mm min) will not allow boats to safely moor or navigate the section. A short section at Cowroast will be contained at normal levels through the implementation of stop planks (between Lock 46 and New ground bridge, no. 136).

This will afford stability (although immobility for moorers at Cowroast long term site and the marina). The 2 locks (Lock 39 & 49) will be locked throughout, as others may be within the affected area to avoid losses through misuse.

Aylesbury Arm, will continue to be locked against navigation and open to essential traffic only. The operating levels of the Arm itself will be subject to further review and nil lockage will be the target once the dredging team have vacated.

Additional local arrangements will be in place with Bulbourne dry dock to facilitate a restricted occasional access.

Enquiries: 01923 201120

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/grand-union-canal/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Tring Summit (Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and Lock 49, Northchurch)

Wednesday 11 January 2012 until further notice We will be lowering the operating levels of the Tring summit by 300mm from Wednesday 11th January 2012 (am).

The immediate affected area is between :-

Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and Lock 49, Northchurch (NB. there is a full stoppage already planned at Lock 49 from 23/01 to 03/02)

The above section will be CLOSED to through traffic and moored boats* from Wed 11th Jan(am) until further notice.

Reduced operating levels (300mm min) will not allow boats to safely moor or navigate the section. A short section at Cowroast will be contained at normal levels through the implementation of stop planks (between Lock 46 and New ground bridge, no. 136).

This will afford stability (although immobility for moorers at Cowroast long term site and the marina). The 2 locks (Lock 39 & 49) will be locked throughout, as others may be within the affected area to avoid losses through misuse.

Aylesbury Arm, will continue to be locked against navigation and open to essential traffic only. The operating levels of the Arm itself will be subject to further review and nil lockage will be the target once the dredging team have vacated.

Additional local arrangements will be in place with Bulbourne dry dock to facilitate a restricted occasional access.

Enquiries: 01923 201120

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/grand-union-canal/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43777&view=getnewpost&hl=&fromsearch=1 .......luckily the towpath telegraph works quite well on here.......

Yes but that is under general boating whereas this is in stoppages where it should be.

Update ....

Tring Summit-Lock 39 Startops Reservoir-Bluebells Cafe and Lock 49 - Northchurch

Wednesday 11 January 2012 until further notice UPDATE (10 January 2012): In response to customer requests for a longer window to exit the affected area, we have extended the period that the section between Cowroast Marina and Lock 39 will remain open for use.

As planned, planks will be installed at Cowroast Marina during the morning of Thursday 12 January. This means that by the end of Wednesday 11 January, boats must be on the correct side of the Cowroast planks or within the planked off area if applicable. At this time, we will stop feeding water to the Tring Summit from the reservoirs.

Between 9am and 12pm on Saturday 14 January, British Waterways staff will man locks to assist and marshal boats out of the section between the planks north of Cowroast Marina and Lock 39. All boats wishing to leave the area will have to move north and exit through Lock 39 by 12pm on Saturday, to avoid being grounded within the lowered section. At this time, Lock 39 will be locked. We would ask that any boats which are able to move out of the section before this date do so as soon as possible, to avoid undue congestion on Saturday.

Many thanks for your assistance.

• 2 months later...

According to waterscape this stretch reopened (withrestrictions) on 26 March.

I would be very grateful to know if anyone has managed toget over the tring summit this week.

I hope to do so on 12 April!

Many thanks

Yes, it is open.

Claims of people struggling across with low water levels are a bit exaggerated too! I've seen it several times in last few days, and levels do not appear to be anything like as down as BW were saying they planned to operate it.

If the working boats are getting through, shallow draughted boats should have few problems.

Of course this may change at any time, particularly as use increases over the Easter period.

Yes, it is open.

Claims of people struggling across with low water levels are a bit exaggerated too! I've seen it several times in last few days, and levels do not appear to be anything like as down as BW were saying they planned to operate it.

If the working boats are getting through, shallow draughted boats should have few problems.

Of course this may change at any time, particularly as use increases over the Easter period.

I've been across twice recently with an ex working boat drawing about 3'3". Even when the water is down by 250 mm, providing you keep to the channel, there is no real problem.

Went across the summit on Tuesday in a Dutch barge. We got stuck a couple of times. most severely under bridge 134.

Had far more trouble below lock 58 where the water appeared to be flowing in and out of lock 59 at about the same rate with both gates shut and only one set of paddles up! Add to that several of the next few locks having gates that only just opened wide enough to get through.

Other than that a splendid trip in glorious weather.

59 will always self fill as the flow from the sewage farm keeps the pound above the lock above weir level all the time. In fact all GU locks will do that but generally there is not enough water to do it

According to waterscape this stretch reopened (withrestrictions) on 26 March.

I would be very grateful to know if anyone has managed toget over the tring summit this week.

I hope to do so on 12 April!

Many thanks

not sure what or why but i received an email from you via CWDF according to yahoo yet there isn't a message in the CWDF message box? did you send something if not then best you run a security check on your computer

hope you got over tring ok

regards kev

As a matter of interest, what do you draw?

Not my boat, I was just a lacky! However, I believe the answer is 3.75ft (or 3ft 9ins if you prefer). Having said that I'm not totally sure that the figure is accurately known. Let me know if you think that is wrong and I'll check.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

not sure what or why but i received an email from you via CWDF according to yahoo yet there isn't a message in the CWDF message box? did you send something if not then best you run a security check on your computer

hope you got over tring ok

regards kev

Thanks - that was just a private email to say thank you for the response - which I can repeat publicly as well.

This might be a good place to advertise the rather helpful Waterscape page on reservoir holdings- which shows some improvement over the last couple of months - and also a neat new map which summarizes the restrictions currently in force in the Midlands and South East (the national map is the same, with the addition of the K&A).

There isnt a great deal of water in Berkhamsted at the moment either, and that's down hill from Tring. Majority of boats are sat on the bottom south of the Crystal Palace pub. I hope the bore pump at the Summit will be running ready for the Easter traffic. :unsure: most boats passing through have been heading north.

Edited to add, just realised that I (BSP) am logged in as Tree Monkey! :D This is an accidental case of CWaping. Sorry monkey! I'll log myself in now.

;)

Edited by tree monkey

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks - that was just a private email to say thank you for the response - which I can repeat publicly as well.

This might be a good place to advertise the rather helpful Waterscape page on reservoir holdings- which shows some improvement over the last couple of months - and also a neat new map which summarizes the restrictions currently in force in the Midlands and South East (the national map is the same, with the addition of the K&A).

Thanks to all for their comments. The journey from Braunston was extremely uneventful - no queues anywhere, and only three boats going over the Tring summit in each direction. We had more problems with mud in Wolverton (and hail!), and with locks near Watford with v leaky bottom gates, than with the slightly lower water on the summit.

I was sorry not to visit the new bit of the Wendover Arm, which was closed.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy