Moorings on the Thames near Henley

LoneEcho

Featured Posts

I am hoping to take the boat (60'x12') to go to the Rewind 80's Festival at Henley in August. I know it is a long way off but the official moorings go on sale later this month and are not cheap (£300 for my boat), so not being familiar with the Thames, wondered whether there are other visitor moorings anywhere near there, even a short cab ride away would be fine. I understand that the Thames is not like BW run waters where you can moor up anywhere along the tow path (subject to restrictions etc).

Laurie

It is not clear where the festival actually is, below Henley bridge there are "meadows" either bank of the river where mooring is normally available for something like £5 a day, or has the festival taken over all these i.e. both banks? then there is the town park above Henley bridge similar price, but of course not bookable.

If it were me and i wanted to go i'd probably just stump up the cash for a nice close mooring and try and make the weekend as special as i could, that area is notorious for landowners wanting their pound of flesh plus a little bit.

If its around the regatta time of year i've moored overnight centrestream on the lane separators for nothing, just used my tender to get to the pub. Lots of people doing this but i saw little regulation of the moorings, obviously can't do this in the regatta week :D

Go on spoil yourself, good luck

Paul

Thanks for replies so far. The festival is on 17th-19th at Temple Island Meadows, Remenham Farm.

That is the east bank (far side from the town) I would investigate the "meadowside" mooring on the West (townside) bank a bit nearer the town as being the nearest to walk from, private so they may take advance booking? though that may put the price up. No facilities as far as I recall.

Sorry I dont have any contact details.

I've passed those moorings when the festival is on. It's in the field directly opposite Temple Island, on the North Side of the river.

I would stump up the cash - its a really nice place to moor anyway - although you can moor in Henley for £9 a day, do you want to find out the hard way if there are restrictions in place when the festival is on? (There may be, I don't know). BUT, I have a business card somewhere for the bloke that is in charge of manning all the visitor moorings in Henley let me dig it out, you could call him.

I've passed those moorings when the festival is on. It's in the field directly opposite Temple Island, on the North Side of the river.

I would stump up the cash - its a really nice place to moor anyway - although you can moor in Henley for £9 a day, do you want to find out the hard way if there are restrictions in place when the festival is on? (There may be, I don't know). BUT, I have a business card somewhere for the bloke that is in charge of manning all the visitor moorings in Henley let me dig it out, you could call him.

Got to be very nice for £150 per day in my book. Moor in Abingdon for free and take a taxi every day.

Thanks for replies so far. The festival is on 17th-19th at Temple Island Meadows, Remenham Farm.

If you can organise a dingy,there are FREE moorings about half a mile above marsh lock,on the meadow opposite lower shiplake.

from marsh lock the festival site is a mile or two downstream.

An annual thames licence for a powered dingy is around 80 squids,not sure how much a short term one would be,and dont forget that the thames locks are now on 24 hour public power-assist.

Got to be very nice for £150 per day in my book. Moor in Abingdon for free and take a taxi every day.

I know what you mean, but having seen the boats there during the festival, they're part of the action IYKWIM. And for that, you have to pay. Through the nose. It's not quite the same having to schelp from Abingdon.

And how much would a taxi be? It's 22 miles from Abingdon to Henley.

Edited by Lady Muck

As already mentioned 1/2 mile upstream of Marsh lock long section of 24hr moorings on left facing upstream.Just before Sonning bridge on the right is about 300m of unofficial towpath moorings.The house opposite with the red pyramid in the garden and cctv is Uri Gellers.Or more moorings above Sonning Lock. Not far to Henley from Sonning.

Hi all,

I think I can help here, being both local and having been to all the Rewind Festivals so far.

The 'festival' moorings themselves are expensive and in fact no different from the moorings just a short walk towards the town, for which you pay something like £5 per day only. Yes, they're next to the festival site which is a field next to the river, but the site is behind 6ft wire fencing and you'll be moored against the public towpath. Your access is through the same entrace/exit as all other pedestrian punters. It's also quite noisy with lots of passing foot traffic.

The best moorings for this are nearer the town either on the same side (some passing foot traffic) or on the opposite side from the festival (total peace and quiet). All moorings for the various landowners are run by one really nice guy (Steve) and if you get in touch with him he'll be able to advise and take your booking if you so wish. He also has a very cool ex Thames Conservancy/River Police patrol boat which he uses as a taxi to and from the festival for a few quid a throw.

This is his website.... http://srb-moorings.co.uk/

Do go, it's a great event, see you there!!! :-)

Phil

nb Onion

Go about 2 miles upstream to Wargrave. Nice visitor moorings there if you can get in - not sure how long you'll get away with staying there, but when I was there a few years ago it was free. Just downstream from Wargrave there are one or two unofficial moorings behind a small island. You could easily ride a bike or walk into Henly from there.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I will start with giving srb moorings a call.

Old son, do you fancy it ? Tidal Thames, a couple of weeks away from HQ and as much cheese as you can eat on falco at the end of each day ?

£8 per night per boat. Steve said you can take a chance in the day or pay £20 booking fee to pre book. Also as Phil said, they run water taxis to and from the festival. Now all I have to do is get there without sinking the boat on the Thames !!!

I am hoping to take the boat (60'x12') to go to the Rewind 80's Festival at Henley in August. I know it is a long way off but the official moorings go on sale later this month and are not cheap (£300 for my boat), so not being familiar with the Thames, wondered whether there are other visitor moorings anywhere near there, even a short cab ride away would be fine. I understand that the Thames is not like BW run waters where you can moor up anywhere along the tow path (subject to restrictions etc).

Laurie

Hi Laurie

My daughter Sacha and son in law Ben live on a narrow boat on the Thames (not actually Henley) but near Hampton Court. Ben is actually the ferry man on the Thames. They are great people and have been there a long time. Why not email Sacha saying that her mum told you her address and ask them if they can help at all. sachamorgan@yahoo.co.uk Hope this helps and have a lovely day. Jane

Old son, do you fancy it ? Tidal Thames, a couple of weeks away from HQ and as much cheese as you can eat on falco at the end of each day ?

I'd love to mate but I have booked my summer holiday during August. Missed out on a ride to the Bruno MotoGP too!!! Bugger :angry:

edit due to fat fingers

Edited by Old Son

I'd go, but to be honest the 80s is a decade I'd rather forget. Unemployment, Margaret Thatcher and Duran Duran. It's no wonder I left the country in '86 and didn't come back for 13 years.

By the way Laurie, if you aren't in a hurry when you're coming up the Thames stop off for a cup of tea or a mooring for the night. I missed your launch and I'd still like to see your boat.

Mike