'Goose-killer lurks in River Lea' ...

Josher

Featured Posts

Be careful what you put in the water ...

13 December 2011 BBC

'Goose-killer lurks in River Lea' near Olympic Stadium

_57291762_005930005-1.jpg

River Lea Might the seemingly placid waters of the River Lea be home to a flesh-eating fiend?

A goose-eating beast is lurking in the watery depths under the shadow of the Olympic Stadium, a boatman has warned. Mike Wells said he had spotted a Canadian goose being pulled below the surface of the River Lea in east London, which "disappeared so fast it didn't make a sound". There were reports of a goose being dragged under the surface back in 2005. British Waterways, which is responsible for the upkeep of the river, asked people to report any further sightings. Mr Wells, who estimated the weight of the goose to be about 7kg, said: "I was sitting on the back deck of my boat with a friend having a cup of coffee. And suddenly this goose about 30 metres away disappeared - it was extraordinary. We just saw the goose go vertically down - in the space of half a second it had gone." “We don't believe there is a crocodile in the river”

In 2005 boat trippers on the River Lea watched as a Canada goose vanished "almost instantaneously", apparently dragged beneath the water by a mystery beast. Mark Gallant of the Lea Rivers Trust, who was on the boat, said at the time of the 2005 incident: "Whatever that thing was, it had to be big." A British Waterways spokeswoman said of the latest incident: "We don't believe there is a crocodile in the river. Things that have been suggested are a big pike or a mink, which can prey on ducks. But geese might be a bit big for them." She continued: "In some areas you get terrapins which get dumped and have taken to the conditions well - they can get to the size of dinner plates. But geese might be too big for them to take as well. No-one has reported anything to British Waterways, but we would encourage people to get in touch if they have seen anything."

Yes heard that on Radio 4 they say the largest ever found was 8ft...........at Martin Mere

We had one here in our local lake - a mere 5ft though - a few years ago. It was caught and can now be visited in captivity at Brighton Aquarium!

(See old news item here)

Richard

• Greenie 1

We had one here in our local lake - a mere 5ft though - a few years ago. It was caught and can now be visited in captivity at Brighton Aquarium!

(See old news item here)

Richard

In France they are known as silures, and 2m ones are not uncommon. After river such as the Saône flood into the fields these silures are sometimes found in the shallows as the floods recede. You sometimes get silure cutlets on the menu in local restaurants, and Di had some when we visited Poland a while back. They're normally bottom feeders, but silure stuffed with goose? Maybe, but probably not for me.

It might have been me in my scuba kit. I love goose, especially well roast and crisEpy and wearing the rubber suit as well just makes my day

I know someone who's tried a Canada Goose... apparently you really don't want to take a second bite!

It would be nice to think it could have been a big dog otter. Ducks certainly get taken by otters occasionally, but I'd have thought a goose would be a bit big. Then the dog otter we saw in Market Harborough a couple of years ago was pretty large. I wonder if one his size could do for a goose?

Mink would be too small for anything larger than ducks I would imagine, they are noticeably smaller than adult otters.

Canada Geese are known to be disgusting to eat. That's why there are so many of them.

My betting is on Esox Lucius, which can weigh 30 kilos and be nearly five feet long. One that size would manage a goose.

Edited by sebrof

Be careful what you put in the water ...

13 December 2011 BBC

'Goose-killer lurks in River Lea' near Olympic Stadium

_57291762_005930005-1.jpg

River Lea Might the seemingly placid waters of the River Lea be home to a flesh-eating fiend?

Why are the BBC using a pic of the Lee Nav just below Stansted lock? Its nowhere near the Olympic Stadium!

Canada Geese are known to be disgusting to eat. That's why there are so many of them.

My betting is on Esox Lucius, which can weigh 30 kilos and be nearly five feet long. One that size would manage a goose.

Yep, That's my thoughts too. I had one grab onto my wellington once, no damage but bloody scary!

Couldn't you just say Pike, save lots of us having to look it up? ;)

Tim

Guest Quo Vadis

Are you suggesting that Pike have no taste :sick: .

I doubt that. The largest pike ever known to be caught was 30.5kg (67 pounds) from Germany. That is almost half as big again as the british record pike of almost 47 pounds and the last few record pike have come from trout reservoirs which, as far as conditions for record growth are concerned, are unique.

I have no doubt that the River Lea does not hold the environment that would sustain a pike big enough to take a goose

My money would be on a catfish if it was a stillwater since the biggest known british catfish is 62 pounds and they have enormous mouths. But the Lea is not a stillwater

It's an intriguing mystery but a pike it aint