Fair Weather Cruising.

Josher

Featured Posts

Looking ahead a year or two, it is nice to think that we will be able to spend the lighter warmer months on the boat and the darker colder months back in our house with the boat on a winter mooring. With such a cruising pattern, roughly how long would it take to cover the system? (based in the north west, if that makes any difference). If anyone has set out to do this, how did it go? Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

• Greenie 1

7 years so far, and not done East Anglia, London, Lee and Stort and River Wey (and one or two "bits"). One reason is that some of our lovely waterways deserve visiting again and again, and there is as much pleasure going a second and third time, because you've got a bit of knowledge on best moorings, nice villages, walks, pubs etc. I don't feel I'll ever say "I've done it all".

Looking ahead a year or two, it is nice to think that we will be able to spend the lighter warmer months on the boat and the darker colder months back in our house with the boat on a winter mooring. With such a cruising pattern, roughly how long would it take to cover the system? (based in the north west, if that makes any difference). If anyone has set out to do this, how did it go? Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

I think part of the key to this is the "based in" bit. If you always return at the end of long summer to the same spot, and it is nearer one of the extremities of the system, (and so by implication have to start from there again next year), a lot of your time will be spent travelling the same familiar waters to reach the further afield places you have yet to go.

I'm thinking of someone like Allan and Debbie Jones, ("Keeping Up"), who go out for many weeks at a time in summer, and have travelled very extensively, but thinking of their trip reports, I'm not sure how regularly they get a really long way from base. (Actually thinking about it, perhaps not that great an example, as "Keeping Up" would be too long for a lot of the Northern waterways, and anyway I can recall pictures of them in Standege, meaning they do clearly get a long way sometimes!.....)

We are currently limited by circumstances to no more than a month away from "base" at a time, but because "base" is well down the Grand Union, and it takes a long while to get anywhere we have not been before, our options for adding large amounts of "where we have been" to the map are actually now fairly limited, until the day hopefully comes when we don't have severe constraints on "length of trip".

Our plan when we eventually do get a boat is to live aboard and CC (genuinely not bridge hop lol) and find a winter mooring for the winter.

Although we would be trying to find winter mooring where ever we where at the start of winter rather than return to a home base and preferably still live aboard during the winter just not moving.

And we are not even going to think about how long it will take to get around the whole system our way of thinking is what's the rush it will take how ever long it takes.

As already stated some places are worth more than one visit and worth staying a few days longer(within permitted time limits of course)if you want to do it in a rush get a camper van

At present nb Tacet is on a two-year mission to cruise the network whilst their offspring are away at university, Jumble the dog is really in charge. We met them on the Yorkshire Derwent and they spent a lot of the summer in the North East. They have just finished Birmingham and are now in Warwick. You can find them on blogspot as Narrowboat Tacet.

Many thanks for the replies.

Taken me 5 years so far but not finished yet.

Five years and counting - but how far round have you been ?

I believe Tony Haynes ('Canaldrifter') did it in two years, and that was when he wasn't able to walk properly. But I think Cotswoldsman has by far the better attitude.

I agree, no need to hurry.

7 years so far, and not done East Anglia, London, Lee and Stort and River Wey (and one or two "bits"). One reason is that some of our lovely waterways deserve visiting again and again, and there is as much pleasure going a second and third time, because you've got a bit of knowledge on best moorings, nice villages, walks, pubs etc. I don't feel I'll ever say "I've done it all".

Good point. It is beginning to look like a 10 year plan.

I think part of the key to this is the "based in" bit.

I'm thinking of someone like Allan and Debbie Jones, ("Keeping Up"), who go out for many weeks at a time in summer, and have travelled very extensively, but thinking of their trip reports, I'm not sure how regularly they get a really long way from base.

We are currently limited by circumstances to no more than a month away from "base" at a time, but because "base" is well down the Grand Union, and it takes a long while to get anywhere we have not been before, our options for adding large amounts of "where we have been" to the map are actually now fairly limited, until the day hopefully comes when we don't have severe constraints on "length of trip".

We will be based at the top end of the four counties ring, so not too bad in terms of access. Interesting point about Allan and Debbie Jones and that is why I am thinking of having a target each year (Bristol/London/Ripon etc.) until the map has been covered.

Our plan when we eventually do get a boat is to live aboard and CC (genuinely not bridge hop lol) and find a winter mooring for the winter.

Did consider selling up, living on the canals for a few years and then settling down again but firstly I have been out-voted and secondly the last few winters have put me off a bit!

At present nb Tacet is on a two-year mission to cruise the network whilst their offspring are away at university ... You can find them on blogspot as Narrowboat Tacet.

A good challenge - but the picture of them ice-breaking brought back memories of last winter again!

We will be based at the top end of the four counties ring, so not too bad in terms of access. Interesting point about Allan and Debbie Jones and that is why I am thinking of having a target each year (Bristol/London/Ripon etc.) until the map has been covered.

Well I'm based in winter at the east end of the Rochdale, which some folk would say is fairly remote, but the past six summers have seen me in most parts of the system, major exceptions being the Llangollen, K&A, and Lancaster. But that includes twice to East Anglia, which I absolutely loved and would go back to rather than pursue an 'all parts' goal.

Starting from where I do, I'll soon be able to apply to be a guide to Standedge! :D

Edited to say, with regard to the thread title, I am certainly a fair-weather boater. As I have said elsewhere, my foul weather gear consists of two stout ropes, one at each end of the boat.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

Many thanks for the replies.

Five years and counting - but how far round have you been ?

Most of the system just a few left. But as has been already said the parts I have enjoyed I have been to a number of times. For example next year I am doing L&L from Liverpool to the end and then up to York. I have done Liverpool Link before but think it is that great I am booked on the first passage next year 4 April 2012. I have done the L&L in both directions as far as Saltaire but not beyond so some will be for the third time if that makes sense. Have done the Llangollen 4 times.

Ten years and still going, although we are repeating ourselves now because many are worth a second or even third look.

Next summer we will tackle the Worcester Birmingham for the first time but many other repeat canals visits on the way, as the mood takes us.

I don't think you will ever see all of, all the system - so many places too little time.

Its not a race its a journey.

Alex

Most of the system just a few left. But as has been already said the parts I have enjoyed I have been to a number of times. For example next year I am doing L&L from Liverpool to the end and then up to York. I have done Liverpool Link before but think it is that great I am booked on the first passage next year 4 April 2012. I have done the L&L in both directions as far as Saltaire but not beyond so some will be for the third time if that makes sense. Have done the Llangollen 4 times.

Might see you around then. Leeds at Easter and York in August/Spetember :cheers:

Likewise. We dont have a set date for the visit yet but it will be a week in August/September when the tides are right for getting from Torksey to Naburn in the day :cheers:

WHAT !!!!

That would be a 5 days trip for us.

I feel the need for speed. ------------- but do I?

Alex

WHAT !!!!

That would be a 5 days trip for us.

I feel the need for speed. ------------- but do I?

Alex

We need an early morning start from Torksey to make it in the day. Then its an hour and a bit tootle down to Gainsborough Bridge before opening up the engine. Keadby is reached in about another hour, Trent Falls/End in about another half hour after that. Here we anchor up for a few hours and have Brunch whilst waiting for the incoming tide. We then ride the tide all the way up the Ouse to Naburn Lock.

A nice relaxing days cruising :cheers:

We need an early morning start from Torksey to make it in the day. Then its an hour and a bit tootle down to Gainsborough Bridge before opening up the engine. Keadby is reached in about another hour, Trent Falls/End in about another half hour after that. Here we anchor up for a few hours and have Brunch whilst waiting for the incoming tide. We then ride the tide all the way up the Ouse to Naburn Lock.

A nice relaxing days cruising :cheers:

I suspect Alex is taking his tube to Naburn via the Stainforth & Keadby route not the more exciting Trent Falls way (Probably the best!)

OOPS maybe I should not have mentioned taking a Tube around the falls (There was err a lot of 'Fall'out last time IIRC :rolleyes:

I suspect Alex is taking his tube to Naburn via the Stainforth & Keadby route not the more exciting Trent Falls way (Probably the best!)

OOPS maybe I should not have mentioned taking a Tube around the falls (There was err a lot of 'Fall'out last time IIRC :rolleyes:

Its the only way for a 'skip bucket' --- but I wouldn't be very happy in a 'plastic fantastic' with all that floating detritus on the tidal Ouse between Selby and Naburn

Alex

Its the only way for a 'skip bucket' --- but I wouldn't be very happy in a 'plastic fantastic' with all that floating detritus on the tidal Ouse between Selby and Naburn

Alex

The trick is to avoid the floating debris (and submerged debris) in the river. The first time we went up the Ouse we did pick a tree up in the props that slowed our progress a little but we still made it to Naburn in one piece just minus a few prop blades. GRP is a lot tougher than people give it credit for ans nudging a few trees, gas bottles and dead cows/sheep isnt going to do it any harm. Our boat is designed for crashing down off 2m high waves at 30 knots nudging some floating debris really isnt going to bother it :cheers:

Even going to long and abourious way around (Keadby to Selby to Naburn) it is only a couple of days. We easily managed Naburn to Beal (settting off from Naburn at 3pm with the tide) and then the following day Beal to Keadby and that was with lunch stops, no speeding and waiting for boats faffing around at locks and bridges. :rolleyes:

70 ft Tubes don't have the choice!

David

Absolutely incorrect. This is a falacy perpetuated by people with little or no experience that of course includes Bw many of whom never go boating. Trent falls is uneccessary unless your boat exceeds 70 feet. I took my seventy footer in at Keadby earlier this year and through the IMAPPASABLE Thorne lock without problem, we had at least a quarter of an inch to play with But it wasnt a problem. Coming back you simply spin round at the top and come down backwards.....No need for Trent falls :D

And we are not even going to think about how long it will take to get around the whole system our way of thinking is what's the rush it will take how ever long it takes.

As already stated some places are worth more than one visit and worth staying a few days longer(within permitted time limits of course)if you want to do it in a rush get a camper van

Great attitude, if you have the free time to take advantage of one of Britain's most popular attractions. We're fortunate to be retired and given the opportunity, we hope to cover the whole system. The problem, as others have already recognised, is that quite often you'll come across such a lovely location that you wont want to move on. That's why we stayed in Audlem.

This summer we ventured down to Kinver, with the intention of reaching Stourport. Unfortunately, our friends are still tied to the millstone and had to begin their return journey at Kinver. Some of the scenery en route was stunning.

We really look forward to setting off again this spring. One thing we do notice, is that the boaters on our Marina are far more adventurous than those previously witnessed, oop norf in Scarisbrick on the L&L.

Mike

Absolutely incorrect. This is a falacy perpetuated by people with little or no experience that of course includes Bw many of whom never go boating. Trent falls is uneccessary unless your boat exceeds 70 feet. I took my seventy footer in at Keadby earlier this year and through the IMAPPASABLE Thorne lock without problem, we had at least a quarter of an inch to play with But it wasnt a problem. Coming back you simply spin round at the top and come down backwards.....No need for Trent falls :D

Now there's determination '1/4" to spare' ! - well done you

Alex