Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Thought it was about time to say 'Hi' to everyone as I've been lurking around here for a little while without introducing myself...

I'm Allan from North Wales - and I'll be joining you on the cut from March 2007 if all goes according to plan

Thanks to my dad, I've been knocking around boats since about the time I could walk... Some of my earliest memories are of being on my uncles cruiser around the Marple area (forty something years ago!) and I guess I've loved being around, on, in, or even under, water ever since!

I built my first canoe when I was about 12, and went on to sail most things from dinghies to 33 foot sloops on everything from lakes to rivers to open sea

I was reintroduced to the canals about 5 years ago when a work colleague went native on an old boat in the Chester area, but I confess I couldn't then ever see them as more than a holiday. The thing is about narrowboats and canals - they sort of stay with you, and gradually start to take over... :)

In 2005 I was lucky enough to meet a wonderful lady who loved the waterways (from many holidays afloat) and was considering buying a boat, and so I started looking around at boats in earnest. I read everything I could get my hands on both in print and online (this forum included) - and was amazed. Gone were the old 'caravan' fittings, the dark and damp interiors, and the unreliable (and unsafe) smelly gas heating that I remembered - the new boats were nicer than my house!

I hadn't been in a marina for years, but was taken to St Marys in Rufford on a perfect afternoon by Jason and Kate of Northern Pride Narrowboats in Liverpool to see one of their completed boats - and I fell in love on the spot! The boat, the marina, the people - and the woodsmoke from the stoves (an old memory which I had forgotton)

Unfortunately things weren't to be between the lady and myself - but by then I think I'd already decided to get afloat by hook or by crook!

This year I've gone on to spend as much time afloat on the canal as possible - I took the RYA helmsmans course with Malcom of Top Lock in Marple (which I highly reccomend!) and have spent my weekends visiting marinas and brokerages and shows all over the country - including getting very muddy in Crick where I even made into a picture in Waterways World mag taken during the 2 mins it stopped raining! LOL. I've talked to as many liveaboards, cruisers and builders as I can find, and been in and on more boats than I can remember! I've even convinced my ex wife to join me for a week cruising to Stratford on Avon in September...

So - my house is sold and I'm putting finances in place to be on the water from around March 2007

I'd love to be based at the new Swanley Bridge Marina on the end of the Llangollen canal - but anywhere in the area would be good - suggestions anyone? I'm looking for a semi-trad around 57' with a reverse layout and preferably gas free if anyone knows of one...

Look forward to chatting to you all some more (and probably asking some dumb questions! LOL)

Allan

Edited by AllanW

I've even convinced my ex wife to join me for a week cruising to Stratford on Avon in September...

Allan

By, you must be a smooth talking devil. we'll have to watch you :cheers: NO way I'd spend a week in a tin box with my ex!!!

Welcome

Regards,

Ally p.

By, you must be a smooth talking devil. we'll have to watch you :cheers: NO way I'd spend a week in a tin box with my ex!!!

Welcome

Regards,

Ally p.

Me neither - I don't I deserve purgatory just yet!

Jill

PS Ally, do you think he'll need to go to the Snibble Corner? :)

Well thank you for the welcome Ally and Jill

I must confess the 'ex' is already getting a bit suspicious about the bag of cement I want to take with me for er... trim ballast

<grin>

Actually it's just as well we get on better now than when we were married (the divorce was NOT my doing BTW!) as I need somewhere to stay when the house sale completes before I get afloat! :)

Allan

Edited by AllanW

Hello everyone, and thankyou to all for sharing your tips and invaluable advice - and a special thanks to whoever owns this brilliant forum. :)

My poster name is Melders, but really it should be Wannabe or Gunner.

I've wanted to be a narrowboater for over 30+ years and one day I'm gunner be one. :cheers:

In the short time since finding the forum I've found the answers to dozens of the hundreds of questions

I have......... I'm off now to search for the rest.

Thanks.

My poster name is Melders, but really it should be Wannabe or Gunner

Hi Melders

Welcome to the forum, you will not be alone here there are many, 'wannabe and gunners' here.

Personaly I'm a gunner. :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome,Bottle.

I take it you're gunner get a boat yourself.... how close are you to getting one, and have you worked out a ''must have'' list for the type of boat and it's fixtures and fittings?

Thanks for the welcome,Bottle.

I take it you're gunner get a boat yourself.... how close are you to getting one, and have you worked out a ''must have'' list for the type of boat and it's fixtures and fittings?

If the house sells in time boat build will start spring 2007, I have a general plan/idea what I want but this will be discussed with my builder closer to the time.

He builds totally individual boats but has certain pieces that he strongly recommends, for instance an Onan generator.

Have a look here link to see some of his work but the photo's do not do him justice, a bit of a perfectionist.

Beautiful looking boats there,Bottle...they'd be way out of my price limit. I could probably afford to have a coracle built by them.

We're relocating and also waiting for present house to sell.

I've put me foot down with the long haired one and told her I'm fed up sitting in the shed when I want a bit of peace and quiet........going to try for a bigger mortgage for another house AND a boat.

She's said she'll look forward to visiting me.... I've told her that if she can find me on the Leed-Liverpool I'll look forward to seeing her.

I've virtually no knowledge re' the best of all the different engines, heating systems, power supplies,etc,etc, so finding this forum has been a Gawd send for me, and with time on my side ( housing market is stagnant at the moment around here ) I'm hoping to have a good idea of what boats to go looking at.

Any idea if prices drop towards winter time?

I've virtually no knowledge re' the best of all the different engines, heating systems, power supplies,etc,etc, so finding this forum has been a Gawd send for me, and with time on my side ( housing market is stagnant at the moment around here ) I'm hoping to have a good idea of what boats to go looking at.

Any idea if prices drop towards winter time?

Hi Melders

Have a good peruse through the forum, it is wonderful font of knowledge, sometimes a little controversial. :cheers:

Price drop in the winter? possibly but that is beyond my knowledge (some one on here will know) but buying a boat is not an exact science, a bit like houses you never pay the asking price, of course the seller knows this so inflates the price, it is always a barganing situation.

If you find a boat that you fancy, come onto the forum and ask, you will get many opinions, not always the ones you want to hear.

Happy hunting

Once I've found my way around the forums, Bottle, I may have a trial run of fellow posters opinions.

ie, post a link to a boat I really like ...... and ask posters why they wouldn't touch it with a barge poll :cheers:

That's a good idea!

Er... mind if I borrow it? LOL

Allan

Edited by AllanW

Hello to all from Burlington, Kentucky!!!

We are planning our first canal boat trip in June '07. We're very excited and have looked forward to this for a very long time.

I was happy to find this site because we could really benefit from the wisdom and experience that y'all have!

Even though our trip isn't until next year, we decided to start educating ourselves now. Partly because we want to know as much as we can before we go so that it's not a huge mystery and we approach our jouney with more confidence that we might not have otherwise, and partly because we're just so excited we can't seem to help ourselves. :D

Anyway, I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd do the polite thing and introduce myself (ourselves).

Kathy

Hi Kathy and Roger.

I am sorry to have to tell you that despite not revealing your genders, I think I have worked it out. :D

Don't forget to give us some criteria for your forthcoming canal holiday (which you will enjoy greatly); we can than all have fun planning your holiday for you.

Do you know where you will be starting from?

Hi Kathy and Roger.

I am sorry to have to tell you that despite not revealing your genders, I think I have worked it out. :D

Don't forget to give us some criteria for your forthcoming canal holiday (which you will enjoy greatly); we can than all have fun planning your holiday for you.

Do you know where you will be starting from?

Hi, Alec! Yes, please do help us plan our holiday. It would be so greatly appreciated!

I actually just made a post to another board on here (can't remember what it's called) and the question of where we'll be starting from is addressed there. Please be sure to check it out and tell me what you think!

Thanks!

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all, first post, we’re Alan & Maureen Sayers; we don’t have a boat, yet!

We’ve fancied the canal life for some time, read the magazines, had a few holidays afloat and thought that when we retired we would consider buying a narrowboat.

Then came the fly in the ointment, about six years ago we were both made redundant. :blush:

What to do? Finances weren’t enough live without an income, and the prospect of decent employment was pretty negligible, plus Maureen had developed a medical condition that would benefit from cleaner, drier air. So, off we went to the mountains of southern Spain.

Now the value of our house (a ruin when we first arrived) has increased so much and the prospect of a boost to our finances expected towards the end of next year, plus my Maureen’s condition is all but cured, we again, have options.

The plan; buy a smaller, cheaper house in Spain, and with the leftovers, buy a decent narrowboat and split our time between the two.

When it comes to ‘buying time’ I’m sure I’ll be posting a few questions on the forum, but until then I’ll be keeping an eye on it, trying to gain as much information as I can.

Cheers

Shoo

PS Anybody interested in swapping a nb plus cash, for a cortijo in the mountains of southern Spain? :P

Hi all

Re-reading my post I imagine I sound like ‘just another dreamer’, that’s fine, I can handle that, I guess there must be lots of people who’s plans never get off the drawing board, only time will tell.

Daniel, thanks for the welcome, I’m already getting lots of info from the forum topics, my next step is to start buying books and subscribe to magazines.

Now we’ve decided to resurrect my dream I just wish I were there, visiting waterways festivals, taking walks along the towpaths, talking directly with boaters. Guess what I’ll be doing for my holidays?

Best regards to all

Shoo

Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I (with a 4 month old baby and a Siamese cat) want to move onto a liveaboard. We have had a look at various options including a sailaway but think it might be wise at this stage, based on our lack of any real knowledge :angry: to get a second hand boat.

My question is, what do people here think would be the minimum length of narrow boat that 2 and a half people could ideally live on?

Phil

Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I (with a 4 month old baby and a Siamese cat) want to move onto a liveaboard. We have had a look at various options including a sailaway but think it might be wise at this stage, based on our lack of any real knowledge :angry: to get a second hand boat.

My question is, what do people here think would be the minimum length of narrow boat that 2 and a half people could ideally live on?

Phil

54ft would be the minimum but you would have to design it well to get that extra bedroom in for little 'un. I would think 63ft would be nice and comfortable. I lived on a 63ft with a teenager and she had her own bedroom (as did I!) we could still get away from eachother as there was a sitting room, kitchen and a dining area. Much of it boils down to cost. As the littleun is small you could get away with the smaller boat for the time being. the 54ft I have was for me and the teenager, but she has gone to college now which makes things easier!

Edit - welcome by the way!

Edited by Bones

Hi Phil, and welcome.

I guess two could peacefully coexist on a 45 like ours, but it all depends how many modern conveniences you regard as essential.

With a baby; cot, changing mat, washing machine, tumble dryer and all the associated paraphernalia, dunno really, 95ft?

Thanks for your input Bones and Moley. Budget is as always the other factor. We have seen a 70ft boat but it is in Stafford and according to the canal planner would be nigh on impossible to get to Leeds/Wakefield except on the back of a lorry.

Anyone know the cost of haulage? How long is a piece of string I guess?

Phil