Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

John and Kate here and we’re relatively new to boating, having just “lived” through our first year and on our second boat. The first one was immediately too small at 21 ft (after three months) so now we sail a 27ft Nauticus Cruiser in the North Yorkshire area. Best thing we ever did. Lovinit.

Hi John and Kate.. welcome to the forums!

A Nauticus, eh! Our first boat was a 27ft Nauticus, which we had for a little over a year. They're cracking boats... do you have any pics? :lol:

Hi all

Jen & Sam saying hello.

We are new to boating, bought an old boat in January that we aim to live aboard (which will hopefully be funded by renting our house). Started working on it towards end of March (couldn't start it any earlier as still had conservatory to build on house) - this also coincided with when I resigned from the job I used to enjoy until the last year or two, oh what joy - never looked back.

Sam said he didn't want a sailaway - fed up of diy, so we opted for a second hand boat that we could 'tinker' with, however, once you start......had to practically gut it and start again, however we have been working like mad and its coming along great. Have found this site extremely useful and have enjoyed reading the build blogs. Quite excited today as the electrics are finally re-connected again and the new lights work, I realise I should have more faith in him. Will check remaining electrics tomorrow to make sure everything else still works after being re-wired.

Sorry folks, that turned into a bit of an epic

Jen

Cheers everyone, from the Wilsons.

We aren't even new to boating yet, we just have a plan that this is where we will end up. Me (Jason), my wife Caitlin and our son Noah (to be born on Wednesday) along with my mother Jayne and my brother Lucas (plus a dog, cat and hedgie; Cora, Misty and Luca) currently live in Hayes, Virginia in the US. We've come to an agreement that in two years time we will be returning to the UK to take residence on the canals. My mother and brother will be looking for a boat and my wife and I will be looking for our own boat.

I fell in love with the narrowboats this last summer when my wife and I took a holiday in Adderbury, we went to Banbury and as soon as I saw the canal with the various boats in the locks I had a 'childhood' moment and my resolve was set. I had 'tourist' moments all week long, some of you may have even run across me helping anyone willing to have the help get through the lock system at Banbury Cross, taking photos of your boats, or otherwise staring dreamily at the water for an hour or so.

With our minds made up, I want to start gathering all of the information I can and making contacts in the community, so that we are ready when it comes time to pack up and go.

We're thinking mum and Lucas will want to be on the Oxford system as that is where most of or family lives. My decision is going to be a bit more difficult because I'm the bread-winner, I don't know where I'll end up yet. We won't be attempting to move until about 18 months from now.

Also Caitlin and I and some friends are looking at renting a Black-Prince boat on the Falkirk-Edinburgh canals so I'll be looking for info to help there too.

We look forward to learning all we can.

Yoddle! ;)

You lot seam a friendly bunch :captain:

I'm Beanie, I've not got a boat yet, and wont for the next year (pesky uni!) My other half Bean (the yetti :) ) Has just got a job building canal boats. We're swinging between converting a Volvo C303 and living and traveling in that, thou finding places to stop will be hard! Or living on a canal boat but CCing around leicter / nottingham. I dont like staying in one place for to long! At the moment it looks like a boat will be a the option for us :P

Ben has had a few holidays on boats, but Ive only been on my auntys boats who have both lived aboard for years around coventry!

We are both very in to living as green as possible with the smallest footprint as possible :cheers: So expect posts about roof veggie gardens and solar pannles and things!

Hope to see you around soon

Beanie :Dx

Hi Beanie

Welcome to the forum, most things have beeen discussed (not sure about a roof garden though) before so, have a search top right, if you cannot find an answer tag a post on the end of a suitable topic or start a new one

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

We are an active retired couple called Ian and Jill and we live in Australia although we are still British. Next April/May we are going to the UK with a view to buying a narrow boat and living aboard for 18 months or so. Last year we hired a boat and spent a week just ambling along the Grand Union and we liked it so much we decided that we would come aboard before we got too old.

Our problem starts with how and where to buy a boat and finishes with how much it costs to buy a boat. We will be looking at around 45 - 55 ft.

We are on a fairly limited budget (we haven't won the lottery). We have a son in the UK and we can find somewhere to stay while we are looking/negotiating

So what do we do - you are the experts and all advice will be welcome and considered.

Hi

We are an active retired couple called Ian and Jill and we live in Australia although we are still British. Next April/May we are going to the UK with a view to buying a narrow boat and living aboard for 18 months or so. Last year we hired a boat and spent a week just ambling along the Grand Union and we liked it so much we decided that we would come aboard before we got too old.

Our problem starts with how and where to buy a boat and finishes with how much it costs to buy a boat. We will be looking at around 45 - 55 ft.

We are on a fairly limited budget (we haven't won the lottery). We have a son in the UK and we can find somewhere to stay while we are looking/negotiating

So what do we do - you are the experts and all advice will be welcome and considered.

Hi Palanquin

Welcome to the forum

As to where to start looking for a boat search Google for "narrowboat brokerage" including the quotes.

You will see many boats via that, as for cost it will depend on totally what you can afford and want.

A 'cheap' one will probably want some 'work done' to make it usable a bit like second hand cars only more expensive.

Good luck and enjoy your boating when you arrive. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi my names mark, were fairly new to boating we have had the odd holiday hire we just came back from Sawley Marina (canal hire) which we have enjoyed.

We now decided to get one built. Where thinking of using a place called venetian in Nantwich can any one recommend them a tall they seem really good.

Also we seen a few marina`s around Nantwich area could only find moorings at swanley any body else have any more idea`s on mooring all help will be grateful

as we are beginners’ thanks mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I’m a real newbie to this, lets hope I have posted this to the right place as I think I sent it wrong before.

My name is Denise,

We live in the Northeast, and we are thinking a lot about our lifestyle and retirement lately.

All our access are tied and we seem to be living on a shoestring all the time, though from afar we look quite well off.

We feel we want to live and enjoy our selves a bit now!

I suggested selling our house, buying a narrow boat and with the monies left invest the rest into an account with a monthly income from the interest. Am I just a romantic or is this possible?

My husband Alan, would love this sort of life (ex navy) but wants more about how much things will cost to live. Any suggests, for the best way for us to take the plunge?

Dennie

Hello, I’m a real newbie to this, lets hope I have posted this to the right place as I think I sent it wrong before.

My name is Denise,

We live in the Northeast, and we are thinking a lot about our lifestyle and retirement lately.

All our access are tied and we seem to be living on a shoestring all the time, though from afar we look quite well off.

We feel we want to live and enjoy our selves a bit now!

I suggested selling our house, buying a narrow boat and with the monies left invest the rest into an account with a monthly income from the interest. Am I just a romantic or is this possible?

My husband Alan, would love this sort of life (ex navy) but wants more about how much things will cost to live. Any suggests, for the best way for us to take the plunge?

Dennie

Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forums.

1 Have you ever been on a narrowboat holiday?

2 Ever done it in winter?

If not before you take the plunge hire a boat in the worst weather possible and then make a decision. In the sunshine it's great and most people love every minute. It's a different story in the cold and the rain.

The other consideration, cost, it may be cheaper to live on a boat but it does depend how you do it. If you cruise all the time then you don't need a mooring, but in the winter the system tends to shut down for maintenance. If you need a mooring then liveaboard mooring are difficult to find.

I could go on, I don't want to put you off lots of people have done as you suggest and never regreted it equally others do the opposite. Make sure you go in with your eyes wide open and not through rose tinted specs.

:mellow:

Ken

Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forums.

If not before you take the plunge hire a boat in the worst weather possible and then make a decision. In the sunshine it's great and most people love every minute. It's a different story in the cold and the rain.

The other consideration, cost, it may be cheaper to live on a boat but it does depend how you do it. If you cruise all the time then you don't need a mooring, but in the winter the system tends to shut down for maintenance. If you need a mooring then liveaboard mooring are difficult to find.

I could go on, I don't want to put you off lots of people have done as you suggest and never regreted it equally others do the opposite. Make sure you go in with your eyes wide open and not through rose tinted specs.

Ken

Try Living afloat by the Residential Boat Owners Ass. Also keep the house if at all possible even if you let it. There is no security of tenure on the waterways and you may not always be fit and well.

Enjoy

Sue

Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forums.

Ken

Thanks ken

I will look into all that you have said, Dennie

Hi Dennie

As others have said, try before you buy (hire) at the worst time of the year if possible but a fortnight will only give you a 'taster'

As to the cost, after the initial outlay of the boat (less than a house, most of the time,depending on where you live)

There have been many 'costings' but the one that seems to apply the most is, as much as a house and sometimes more.

You do not say whether you will be continuous cruiser or be living in a marina (residential moorings like hens teeth)

Do search the forum (top right) any questions tag them on the end of an appropriate one or start a new one.

Welcome to the forum

Ps boat on order will a continuous cruiser, without a house (already sold) many have said that I am stupid unwise to have sold our house but we are willing to take the chance.

We too will be financing the boat from house sale and investing the remainder to pay for the running costs (hopefully, inflation and all that) :mellow:

I am lucky that I have taken early retirement so do not need to be in one place all the time.

If you do decide to go ahead, good luck, maybe we will see you on the cut one day

• 4 weeks later...
Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi everyone,

Im not only new to this im very new infact not even out of the wrapping paper yet, feel like I need to ask a million questions

try not to laugh to much. Here goes...

I live in manchester and am looking to buy narrow boat to live on for approx 6 months of the year

1. Where's the best place to look and buy?

2.What do they run on I take it its diesel and how far can you travel (say for example 25 miles how much diesel would you need)

I have done a liitle research on stuff like licences, morings , and general up keep and hopefully will get to do some more this weekend but for now im still pretty much in the dark. Can you give me a few pointers on what, where, how and who??

in other words HELP!!!

Thanks

Tracey

Edited by Tracey

Hi everyone,

Im not only new to this im very new infact not even out of the wrapping paper yet, feel like I need to ask a million questions

try not to laugh to much. Here goes...

Hi Tracey and welcome to the forum

I live in manchester and am looking to buy narrow boat to live on for approx 6 months of the year

When you say live on do you mean in one place i.e. residential mooring or do you intend to cruise? Be aware that liveaboard mooring are hard to find.

1. Where's the best place to look and buy?

Try the internet most brokers have websites eg http://www.whiltonmarine.co.uk http://www.boatfinderbrokerage.co.uk also try Apolloduck (google it). Watch out for the hype brokers are like estate agents.

2.What do they run on I take it its diesel and how far can you travel (say for example 25 miles how much diesel would you need)

Most narrowboats run on diesel, for the moment red diesel until Nov 2008. Cheaper for the moment than the stuff you put in the car, less tax. It's more how long it takes than the cost, work on three miles an hour at best, normally it's slower unless your on a lock free section or a river.

I have done a liitle research on stuff like licences, morings , and general up keep and hopefully will get to do some more this weekend but for now im still pretty much in the dark. Can you give me a few pointers on what, where, how and who??

in other words HELP!!!

Canal mags are worth a look, Canal Boat, Waterways World, Canals and Rivers are the main ones. Also search the forum most questions have been asked many many times. For your own safety try and avoid asking anything about electrics.

<_<

Ken

Thanks

Tracey

Edited by KenK

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

I hope to be new to boating soon, i'm certainly new to looking for a starter boat to buy.. Is there any decent publication out there to guide you through the complicated process ? I'm worried about getting ripped off, and a few pointers would be a great help

One boat i would consider does not have an engine... Sounds like a massive undertaking to sort out, or is it ? Roughly how much does the refitting of an engine cost ?

Forum looks great so far, I'm planning to keep a diary of my boat buying experience, and see if it can help anyone else out

Steve

I hope to be new to boating soon, i'm certainly new to looking for a starter boat to buy.. Is there any decent publication out there to guide you through the complicated process ? I'm worried about getting ripped off, and a few pointers would be a great help

One boat i would consider does not have an engine... Sounds like a massive undertaking to sort out, or is it ? Roughly how much does the refitting of an engine cost ?

Forum looks great so far, I'm planning to keep a diary of my boat buying experience, and see if it can help anyone else out

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few "how to buy a boat" books around look on the IWA website http//:www.waterways.org.uk and there is a fair amount of useful information on the BW website Waterscape http//:www.waterscape.com look under boating.

The fitting an engine question is a "how long is a piece of string" type. Depends on the boat, the engine and how much needs to be done to get it working. Ask yourself do I want to go boating or build boats, then base your buying decision on that.

Good luck

Ken

Well we're certainly new to boating, in fact we haven't actually been on a narrowboat yet. We hope to change that as soon as possible, and are planning our first holiday whilst dreaming about retirement on our own boat. Debby has had a little more boat experience than Dave (he's been on cross channel ferries.....), having spent three wonderful summers on a 27ft wooden cabin cruiser on the Oslo fjord.

We're trying to learn as much as we can before we take our first trip on the canals, so that we don't cause too much chaos, and are finding this forum extremely useful - and addictive :D

We're trying to learn as much as we can .... and are finding this forum extremely useful - and addictive :rolleyes:

Yep, isn't it just :rolleyes:

From the above and your other posts, you sound like really nice people, and I hope your dreams come to fruition.

I also whole-heartedly approve of your interests, as per your profile :D

Rumour is, we could be getting some CWF stickers soon, so if you see one passing your way, stick out your thumb. Will keep an eye open for you and your dog if we're passing that way ourselves.