Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Thanks for your input Bones and Moley. Budget is as always the other factor. We have seen a 70ft boat but it is in Stafford and according to the canal planner would be nigh on impossible to get to Leeds/Wakefield except on the back of a lorry.

Anyone know the cost of haulage? How long is a piece of string I guess?

Phil

Buy/build something that can get around the system. You will need to sell it one day and the price will reflect this.

In days of old, boat people with nine children used to live in a cabin 9x6 foot so anything bigger than that.

Make sure the cat is bonded to you and not your house as it will be confused by the move to a boat.

Buy/build something that can get around the system. You will need to sell it one day and the price will reflect this.

In days of old, boat people with nine children used to live in a cabin 9x6 foot so anything bigger than that.

Make sure the cat is bonded to you and not your house as it will be confused by the move to a boat.

Thanks for that Yoda. The cat is probably going to be the biggest problem. He cries like a small child when we take him anywhere in the car. Having said that he will follow us if we walk away from the house. Maybe we should walk everywhere.

Thanks for that Yoda. The cat is probably going to be the biggest problem. He cries like a small child when we take him anywhere in the car. Having said that he will follow us if we walk away from the house. Maybe we should walk everywhere.

Cats dont like the noise cars make but will get used to them. I had a cat that would join us for a Sunday afternoon drive because she was bonded to the family. It does sound like your cat has a family affection if it follows you around. Try to encourage this by putting the cat on a lead and get it used to short catlike walks with you. Always encourage the cat to come to you when you get home so you are head of the family.

When walking the cat remember why we dont have 'seeing eye' (blind) cats.

Cats dont like the noise cars make but will get used to them. I had a cat that would join us for a Sunday afternoon drive because she was bonded to the family. It does sound like your cat has a family affection if it follows you around. Try to encourage this by putting the cat on a lead and get it used to short catlike walks with you. Always encourage the cat to come to you when you get home so you are head of the family.

When walking the cat remember why we dont have 'seeing eye' (blind) cats.

He does tend to follow us around and meows just to see if we are in. Bless.

Edited by MrDNA

Thanks for your input Bones and Moley. Budget is as always the other factor. We have seen a 70ft boat but it is in Stafford and according to the canal planner would be nigh on impossible to get to Leeds/Wakefield except on the back of a lorry.

Anyone know the cost of haulage? How long is a piece of string I guess?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome aboard and its a great place for all the boat info you will need.

Now I noticed you mentioned Leeds / Wakefield in the above reply, now does this mean you will be based in the West Yorkshire area. This means you need to limit your boat length to about 57 foot because of the short locks on the Calder & Heble above Wakefield going towards the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale Canals.

The up side to cruising this area is that the shorter length boat could have a wider beam (up to 14 foot) to compensate for the loss of length.

So the mooring location and area of use is important but for West Yorkshire, the max size boat would be 57ft by 14ft.

Hope this help, good luck.

Mick & Pauline,

Nb Ebinka.

Hi Mick and Pauline

Thanks for the information. We went to look at a 50ft boat yesterday and said yes. We are now in panic mode :angry:

It is currently moored in Boroughbridge and we could take the mooring but I would prefer to cruise. Isn't that the main reason for having a boat? Of course that brings with it the logistical 'problem' of the cars. Deb needs to get to North and South Leeds for her Dance School.

What have we done??????????? :angry:

Keep the mooring!!! You can't guarantee finding one where you want for the price you'd like; you don't quite know how/if you're gonna take to this lark (though you will probably fall for it like the rest of us have done) but stay on the moorings until you've found your footing. Then decide to keep it or dispose of it as your particular waterway usage dictates.

Is my opinion; anyone else?

Keep the mooring!!! You can't guarantee finding one where you want for the price you'd like; you don't quite know how/if you're gonna take to this lark (though you will probably fall for it like the rest of us have done) but stay on the moorings until you've found your footing. Then decide to keep it or dispose of it as your particular waterway usage dictates.

Is my opinion; anyone else?

Keep the mooring!!!! You might find you need to be in one place for a period of time, or it may contribute an added bit of security for your first period of cruising. I am with Alec.

Moorings are very very important! You may find you want to cruise for only parts of the year. I cruised for a couple of years, and by the end of it I liked the idea of being in one place for a bit and thoroughly enjoyed the winter mooring - shame it wasn't mine!

Keep the mooring, we are approaching the winter months (sorry), canal closures etc..

This is a new boat to you and there may be some problems (hopefully minor) but keeping the mooring this will enable you to carry out these more easily and if there are others about, I am sure they will only be to pleased to offer advice and help.

As Alec says it will enable you to adjust to boat life, without the worry of where to moor,water etc..

" You lucky people" (Arthur Askey comedian)

On second thoughts I think we might keep the mooring :angry: Boroughbridge looks like a nice spot too. Thanks for all the advice.

Now, just need to get over my fear of water and confined spaces. :angry:

Hi Phil,

Is the mooring on the canal section in Boroughbridge or the river.

Your mooring is in a great place, you can take days cruise to Ripon or York to get the feel of your new boat, you could even go for a weekend down to Naburn Lock.

Then next year for your first holiday cruise, you can tackle the tidal Ouse to Selby on the canal to Castleford and then the network is yours to cruise.

Take it steady, take your time, do not rush it, get used to life afloat and with that the fear of water will go.

Above all enjoy it. :D

Mick & Pauline.

Nb Ebinka.

Hi Phil,

Is the mooring on the canal section in Boroughbridge or the river.

Mick & Pauline.

Nb Ebinka.

Good question. It looked like it was on the river. The majority of the boats in teh marina are cruisers so I would suspect so.

A major change in lifestyle here we come. :angry:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I really want to become a liveaboard - I've set myself a deadline of a year in which to tie up loose ends and make the move! I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon and the way moorings are round here ("hen's teeth" spring to mind) I may be waiiting till I retire! :angry:

Nice to meet you all,

Lisa

Hi Lisa and welcome :angry:

Clangers? I thought it was Bridget Jones!!!

Regards,

Ally p.

Thanks Ally.

"Am I in the distance yet" actually comes from a book called something like "The Tao of Bod" and points out some of the Taoist concepts accidentally expressed in episodes of Bod. I just like the idea of perceiving oneself as in the distance... which of course is both subjective and objective at the same time. Marvellous. But that's about as much thinking as my brain can deal with on a Monday.

As for K9 - he's just great!

:angry:

Hi Lisa and welcome :angry:

Regards,

Ally p.

Bridget Jones!? Blue String Pudding is what Mother Clanger makes for the other Clangers to eat (when they're not eating soup from the Soupdragon's soup mines, of course)

Oh dear... it really is a Monday, isn't it!?

:angry:

Sounds about right.

So what did the Clangers eat?

edit: Thanks to BSP (posting same time I was). Didn't think I'd quite lost the plot, even though it is Monday. Then again, what was Bridget's culinary disaster, or was that just Blue String Soup?

Edited by Moley

Sounds about right.

So what did the Clangers eat?

edit: Thanks to BSP (posting same time I was). Didn't think I'd quite lost the plot, even though it is Monday. Then again, what was Bridget's culinary disaster, or was that just Blue String Soup?

I can't quite remember what type of food it was but she bound up the ingredients with blue string, so the whole thing turned blue, might have been soup rather than pudding come to think of it, just goes to show how much notice i took of the film.

Regards,

Ally p.

hi we are looking for a a starter boat any idea's!

How about this: http://www.apolloduck.com/display.phtml?aid=42572

Or then again, here's something a bit more roomy: http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=29612

Give us the benefit of a clue, then the good folk in here may reciprocate.

John

Joking apart, Apolloduck is a good place to start if you have any idea at all of the kind of thing you might want. And this community is exceptional for good advice about all aspects of boating, even though you may meet a grumpy old sod like me every so often (or so I'm led to believe). :blush:

Nice links Tomorrow - I rather like the idea of the bigger one... having my parents live with me when they retire might be a bit easier with one of those!

What sort of boat are you looking for? I think my boat was a good starter, but that is only because I am the sort of person that can live in dire mess, freeze and only eat tuna for 3months.

Or then again, here's something a bit more roomy: http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=29612

John

Joking apart, Apolloduck is a good place to start if you have any idea at all of the kind of thing you might want. And this community is exceptional for good advice about all aspects of boating, even though you may meet a grumpy old sod like me every so often (or so I'm led to believe). :blush:

Thanks for that, I prefered the second link, but a little big for some of the locks I think!#

We have seen a 26ft springer, http://www.bwml.net/boatdetail.php?boatid=511 but there doesnt seem to be a owners club? so no idea what springers are like!!!

Paul.

John

Joking apart, Apolloduck is a good place to start if you have any idea at all of the kind of thing you might want. And this community is exceptional for good advice about all aspects of boating, even though you may meet a grumpy old sod like me every so often (or so I'm led to believe). :angry:

We have seen a 26ft springer, http://www.bwml.net/boatdetail.php?boatid=511 but there doesnt seem to be a owners club? so no idea what springers are like!!!

Paul.

Springers in their day were the boating equivalent of buying a Lada car. Basic, ancient design, no frills, built from the thinest steel they could get away with. They were the cheapest means of getting afloat in a new boat. Springer Engineering were the country's bigest builders of canal boats in their day, the Water Bug being the most prolific I believe.

They are instantly recognisable with their trademark "moustache" on the bows and rough welds on the hull. Nothing was ever ground up, that would wast time as well as weaken the weld. :angry: