Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

:lol:

Hello there

We are Phil and Susan proud new owners of 38 ft NB Naps N' Farts previously know as Merton, we have been canaling since last August on a Dawncraft Dandy and well and truely hooked on canals.

No doubt i will have a million zillion questions for you shortly, see ya soon.

Regards

Phil

:lol:

Hello there

We are Phil and Susan proud new owners of 38 ft NB Naps N' Farts previously know as Merton, we have been canaling since last August on a Dawncraft Dandy and well and truely hooked on canals.

No doubt i will have a million zillion questions for you shortly, see ya soon.

Regards

Phil

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys. I'm Craig and I'm new to boating (in fact I haven't started yet!)

I'm looking for a second hand boat (reasonably priced if poss!) to live aboard and I am also looking for some advice on the practicalities, so please feel free, it would be most appreciated.

(I'm in West Mids by the way).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blue Cat and other cat owners too,

Gemma thinks she's died and gone to feline heaven!! - always been an indoorsy lazy sort, so the access to permanent bed/chair/food/enclosed poo house is just sooo purrfect for her and at 13odd years old, re-homed at least 3 times she's taken to the life as though it what what she was born to! Seems such a shame that Les and I are still making such basic errors - like losing the coolie hat to trees conveniently overhanging a water point.........winding againstthe wind on the 1st attempt..........and STILL not sold my house, so not entirely free to do this CC thing......Know anyone who wants a beaut 2 bed bungalow in mid-Beds??

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I've been engrossed in here on this 'Good Friday' holiday. (Happy Easter by the way).

I thought I may as well register. The advice, chit chat and sense of humour on here has been most enjoyable.

I don't yet have a boat, or even much experience, but it is my dream to liveaboard and potter. I hope to achieve this around 2008.

To date I have had a fair few holidays afloat and loved it. I expect I'll have lots of questions at different times and if all goes to plan I'll be out there with all you lucky people in a couple of years time.

Anyway I just wanted to say hi and all that for now, I'm sure I'll get to know you all, (and you'll get to know me) as time goes by..............

Hello everyone,

Just a brief introduction. <cough> Steve (that be me) and Brief hardly sound right but hey hum :blush:

My name is Steve, myself and my wife Steph have been looking at and researching the feasability of life as livaboards for a while now, and I have been scouring the net for as much information as possible. Hence I found this great forum :blush:

We live in Stalybridge and are both in our early 50's.

Over the years we have done the tenting, mobile caravans and still have a Static up in Northumbria (Bamburgh to be exact), so we are very much used to limited space and power restraints.

I have been trying to build up a mental picture of what I would prefer in terms of that economic use of space and the equipment needed to ensure it is as comfortable as possible within those limitations. Not only in terms of the space itself and the ergonomics of that space but in the use of energy and the equipment needed to generate and get the best from it in terms of what we can hope to use to ensure our relative comfort for what may prove to be some considerable time as livaboards and for the most part Continual Cruisers lifestyle. (at least for the first year)

And to this end I find myself here.

I have read a considerable number of posts already and there are many more to look back though. Many have already answered partly at least, questions I have asked myself these past months. There are still many questions, and I am sure the more I read here, the more questions and considerations will be raised as I ponder those posts. But all in all a great site and very useful information.

So far I see here, and elsewhere a mind boggleing mix of hybradisation of systems, some simple some complex yet all adaptable to ones needs within the limits of physics and technology and of course imagination;)

Still many questions yes, but this site is a goldmine of information in helping me to decide things like second hand or new build, cominations of 12v-240v, heating systems, engine types, etc etc. All things that need to be understood by me in order to make at least to some degree, calculated choices.

I have read posts on stoves, blacking, laws and requirments, wind power and solar, things that save pounds in bad choices and based on experiences from those like yourselves that have traveled the cut and gained those experiences in combinations of the hard way and through community sharing ideas. Very much like the caravaning population in that respect.

So thought I'd give this brief intro and hope to post further any questions I may have.

Much more to read up on, and plenty of food for thought in picturing a build that fits our needs.

Sunlion/Steve whichever you prefer. :blush:

Hello Steve and welcome,

it's a great forum - please don't hesitate to ask. I probably won't be able to help much but there are plenty of well-seasoned brains that will. I've found our fellow forum members (I still think that should be 'forees') are both well-informed and patient even when I ask idiot questions. Besides which, I know that somewhere somebody is pleased I did 'cos they needed that answer too ......... :blush:

Best wishes and happy reading,

Jill

Thanks for the welcome and look forwards to more reading, as mind boggleing as that appears with the amount of posts here on site Lol.

Edit: P.S. not recieved validation e-mail as yet, so not been able to post new topics, so may have to tag any questions to other related threads.

Steve

Edited by Sunlion

Thanks for the welcome and look forwards to more reading, as mind boggleing as that appears with the amount of posts here on site Lol.

Edit: P.S. not recieved validation e-mail as yet, so not been able to post new topics, so may have to tag any questions to other related threads.

Steve

Yes, Welcome.

You are not the only one to report not receiving a validation e-mail after joining.

I'm not sure if there is some kind of glitch in this department. I know the site-owner isn't "at the controls" for a few days, and am not sure if anyone else can sort it for you....

Bernie / John / Richard....

Can any of you help, please ?

Alan

Steve

Hi Steve.

And welcome to the forum, as Alan says there is not much that can be done for your problem until next weekend when Jon returns. In the meantime just tag anything new onto another topic, we can sort it out later.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Steve.

And welcome to the forum, as Alan says there is not much that can be done for your problem until next weekend when Jon returns. In the meantime just tag anything new onto another topic, we can sort it out later.

Okay, thanks John, no worries, been on many forums over the years and these things happen. :blush: could also be my email which unusualy starts with a capital letter, sometimes the forums auto tools sets the first letter to lower case and this can cause problems, however sounds like I am not alone with this particular glitch. :blush:

Steve

Hi Everyone!

My name is Richard Page, or Wobbly to my friends.

Never had a boat, in fact never been on one, but I'm getting one soon :blush: and why, because I've always fanced it and Timothy West, of Waterworld convinced me I should :blush:

I was a full time teacher up until 1998, when an illness left me without use of the right side of my body and as a result, stuck in a wheelchair, unable to speak properly, couldn't see, well you get the picture.

In the last few years with lots of treatment and physio, I am a lot better. I have a leg brace and can get around well; I talk ok, although rubbish most of the time, I have adapted and my disability is normal for me, I don't know what it would be like without it!

One major setback in my life was the divorce. I didn't want my wife to end up looking after me if I couldn't look after myself. She deserves a life! I want her to be happy!

So here I am, 51 and looking to live on a boat on my own. I think I'll be asking a lot of questions and seeking guidance from you all.

I have got a boat booked at the end of May, for four days. Should be fun. How do you get through one of them lock things on your own?

Welcome Richard.

We get to spend a lot of time with some very seriously ill and/or disabled people and the thing that always impresses me is the wicked sense of humour that they nearly all possess.

They have certainly stopped me taking myself too seriously.

We once went down through a lock with a young blind man who was a brilliant trumpeter and insisted on playing the Titanic theme as the lock chamber emptied - the acoustics were fantastic.

If we can be of any help, just PM us.

Golden Duck

Hi Everyone!

My name is Richard Page, or Wobbly to my friends.

Never had a boat, in fact never been on one, but I'm getting one soon :blush: and why, because I've always fanced it and Timothy West, of Waterworld convinced me I should :blush:

I was a full time teacher up until 1998, when an illness left me without use of the right side of my body and as a result, stuck in a wheelchair, unable to speak properly, couldn't see, well you get the picture.

In the last few years with lots of treatment and physio, I am a lot better. I have a leg brace and can get around well; I talk ok, although rubbish most of the time, I have adapted and my disability is normal for me, I don't know what it would be like without it!

One major setback in my life was the divorce. I didn't want my wife to end up looking after me if I couldn't look after myself. She deserves a life! I want her to be happy!

So here I am, 51 and looking to live on a boat on my own. I think I'll be asking a lot of questions and seeking guidance from you all.

I have got a boat booked at the end of May, for four days. Should be fun. How do you get through one of them lock things on your own?

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang,

We are hugh & Jan, have just spent two years looking & dreaming but now

have actually decided to go for it and have a sailaway+, don't know the budget

yet,boy am I sick of doing the house up, but a sailaway plus whatever.

Now we have a mooring(la la la) four chairs ,a table,one fruitcake springer and a build

slot, an umbrella and my baby, a Lister jp3 ooooooooooooh,,But------- now its

starting to get a bit real I think we going to need all the help off you lot

for the future,please.I'm just glad I found the site

Hi,

Simon and Wendy here, we're looking for a 50-58ft fully fitted new build as a leisure cruiser. Hopefully getting moored somewhere near telford so I can use it as a hotel in the week - and get paid for the privaledge.

The site's been great so far, but has succeeded in worrying me about the risk we're taking with the fairly large amount of cash involved.

We like the Northwich boat Company, although the Lee's boats seem to be **very** well priced. I'd appreciate any suggestions for builders to look at - I'm thinking of visiting legard bridge after reading the forums.

We live in Bolton in lancashire and would like the supplier to be reasonably local.....

Oh and I havent had my registration e-mail as yet...

Thanks,

Simon.

......one fruitcake springer ........

Is that a narrowboat or a dog? 'Cos I've had experience of both!

Welcome to you all.

There's plenty of good advice available about various builders if you do some searching. My tuppenceworth is; have a really good look around and do have a good look at secondhand boats. You'll need to track down a mooring first though. Get your name down everywhere; I'm not sure what the mooring availability is like round your way these days, but it was difficult even 12 years ago when I was moored on the Birmingham Fazeley. You could try either on the Staffs and Worcs or the Shroppie; both will involve a journey to Telford, if that's where you need to be.

Good luck,

Jill

Hi Simon and Wendy

We like the Northwich boat Company, although the Lee's boats seem to be **very** well priced. I'd appreciate any suggestions for builders to look at

I'm in the same position as yourselves and have been researching builders (my house is now sold and I'm just sorting out finances...) but of all the companies I've been to visit, and of all the boats I've seen (at Crick and elsewhere) I've been most impressed by Jason and Kate at Northern Pride Narroboats in Liverpool (they use STS hulls btw - NOT Liverpool U Boats!!!)

Build quality looks excellent, pricing seems good value - but most importantly they seem like a really friendly company

Good Luck! Let me know if you agree with me

Allan

although the Lee's boats seem to be **very** well priced

Some of the worse welding I've ever seen on a boat was on a Lees boat at Crick. I thought if that is what they think is show standard, what do they do to the others.

E.g. the weld fillet between the cabin sides and the gunwale varied between half an inch and nothing. There was lots of weld spatter around the roof handrails, and there were big gouges where an angle grinder had been used to take off excess weld (god knows what that bit of welding was like).

The thing that got me was the guy on the boat thouhgt it was quite acceptable - good even.