Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

hi yes me and my boyfriend are just about to decide on a sailaway, any tips or advice? :blush:

Hi Shelly

Welcome to the forum, maybe the best advice is read all the previous posts and if you have any specific questions come back and ask, there is a wealth of knowledge and opinions on here. :P

Hi all.......I am new to boating and need some advice

I am buying a 70ft Narrow Boat (Cruser Style) and i am concerned about using locks due to the size of the boat. It is fitted with Bow Thrusters and i hope this will enable me to monover it with ease.

Having looked at some canels the restrictions are 72ft....will i be ok with my 70 ft in these. Are there any canals that will cause me problems not only in the size of the locks but the contures of the canal.

:blush: for all you who can help

i am like this :P and want to be like this :rolleyes: with you help

Cheers

Steve & Sue

Hi all.......I am new to boating and need some advice

I am buying a 70ft Narrow Boat (Cruser Style) and i am concerned about using locks due to the size of the boat. It is fitted with Bow Thrusters and i hope this will enable me to monover it with ease.

Having looked at some canels the restrictions are 72ft....will i be ok with my 70 ft in these. Are there any canals that will cause me problems not only in the size of the locks but the contures of the canal.

:blush: for all you who can help

i am like this :rolleyes: and want to be like this :rolleyes: with you help

Cheers

Steve & Sue

Hi Steve and Sue, welcome to the forum. We'll keep you :cheers: with plenty of :P

Congratulations on getting the new boat. Long cruiser-style narrow boats like yours and mine (67 foot) are probably in the minority.

You'll certainly be able to manage any of the canals that state 70 or 72 foot. If it says 70 ft you may find that it's a tight fit in the locks, so you may sometimes have to remove the bow &/or stern fender. Turning round (winding) is sometimes a struggle because many winding points are a bit shallow at their extremeties, and watch out for some such as those on the Leicester branch which are marked as 65 ft maximum (although sometimes you can get round in these too if you are enthusiastic enough). And nearly all canals have some sharp bends; at first even a 45-footer seems too long to get round them, after plenty of practice you'll get 70 ft round them with no problems.

Your main restrictions will be that you just can't use the Leeds & Liverpool canal, and that although you can use the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale canals, you will have to turn round at the Eastern end of each and go back again because you won't get out of the far end. That's what we're planing to do next summer.

But otherwise you can go more-or-less anywhere.

Allan

Hi Steve and Sue

Welcome to the forum.

The size of your boat will restrict the number of canals that you can use, the limitation is always the size of the locks, if your boat fits the locks it will be able to travel the canal.

There maybe some tight places but it just adds to the fun.

Go to this link boat dimensions it is a PDF document from BW it gives the dimension of the canals.

Hi Steve and Sue, welcome to the forum. We'll keep you :rolleyes: with plenty of :blush:

Congratulations on getting the new boat. Long cruiser-style narrow boats like yours and mine (67 foot) are probably in the minority.

You'll certainly be able to manage any of the canals that state 70 or 72 foot. If it says 70 ft you may find that it's a tight fit in the locks, so you may sometimes have to remove the bow &/or stern fender. Turning round (winding) is sometimes a struggle because many winding points are a bit shallow at their extremeties, and watch out for some such as those on the Leicester branch which are marked as 65 ft maximum (although sometimes you can get round in these too if you are enthusiastic enough). And nearly all canals have some sharp bends; at first even a 45-footer seems too long to get round them, after plenty of practice you'll get 70 ft round them with no problems.

Your main restrictions will be that you just can't use the Leeds & Liverpool canal, and that although you can use the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale canals, you will have to turn round at the Eastern end of each and go back again because you won't get out of the far end. That's what we're planing to do next summer.

But otherwise you can go more-or-less anywhere.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your Advise :P

I was getting worred that i was purchasing a boat that i would not be able to do much crusing in.

The boat is 70ft + bow & Stern Fenders so as long as i remove these fenders I will be able to get into the locks that state 70 ft.

Are they easy to handle due to the size......Will the bow thrusters be a play toy to show off or a valuable tool

Steve & Sue

Will the bow thrusters be a play toy to show off or a valuable tool

If you go to the search facility (top right) and put in 'bow thruster' you will find previous discussions :blush:

And reference 70' boat in a 70' lock, or any lock, the thing to look out for is the cill.

When going down keep the boat foward in the lock and ensure that your 'lock wheeler' keeps an eye on the steerer in case of troubles they can drop the paddles quickly, also ensure your fenders do not catch on the gates.

If you haven't read the 'Boaters Handook' click and go for PDF download.

Are they easy to handle due to the size......Will the bow thrusters be a play toy to show off or a valuable tool

In many cases, with practice, you will find that it is actually easier to handle a 70ft boat than a smaller one. It won't get blown off course so quickly by the wind, and it will often stay in the right place in the locks because there isn't room for it to do anything else.

There have been some heated debates in this forum about bowthrusters. Personally I wouldn't have one if they were giving them away; other people just love them. My advice: try it and see, just don't ever become over-reliant on it.

Allan

I'm not sure, let's try again!

Its me again, Oh I am hopeless. Keep clicking thr wrong reply button, Ithink, Anyway I have been on here before on the Waterways Holidays section, again more by luck than skill. and I made some really naughty abreviation mistakes.

So, we are new to all of this, as you may have guessed.We were in the UK earlier this year and had 1 week on a NB, and after 2 mins on our own, knew that it was somehting that we would like to do more of.(we had a Tupperware ! boat years ago on the Ouse before going to Spain)Now we have just bought one of the Weed boats, and will be having our first cruise on our lovely little boat in early april. Then we are planning a 3.5 months cruise in summer, and will be bringing our dog with us from Spain. AND I am already thinking about next xmas on the boat . I wont type any more, just in case I have got this wroing AGAIN.

Its me again, Oh I am hopeless. Keep clicking thr wrong reply button, Ithink

You're no worse than a few others on this site.lol :banghead: You'll probably improve with practice.

As a newbie myself (at least to boating) you're in the best place to find all the answers to your boating questions, and lots of other answers as well.

Great to see that you're including the dog. I've got 5 to cater for. It's a job to know who's in charge sometimes.

Chris

Its me again, Oh I am hopeless. Keep clicking thr wrong reply button, Ithink, Anyway I have been on here before on the Waterways Holidays section, again more by luck than skill. and I made some really naughty abreviation mistakes.

So, we are new to all of this, as you may have guessed.We were in the UK earlier this year and had 1 week on a NB, and after 2 mins on our own, knew that it was somehting that we would like to do more of.(we had a Tupperware ! boat years ago on the Ouse before going to Spain)Now we have just bought one of the Weed boats, and will be having our first cruise on our lovely little boat in early april. Then we are planning a 3.5 months cruise in summer, and will be bringing our dog with us from Spain. AND I am already thinking about next xmas on the boat . I wont type any more, just in case I have got this wroing AGAIN.

Three and a half months sounds great. Good time of year as well but I'm not sure about Christmas.

Does your dog bark in Spanish as well as English?

Three and a half months sounds great. Good time of year as well but I'm not sure about Christmas.

Does your dog bark in Spanish as well as English?

Spanish, english, valenciano, you name it. ! The only thing is he is very, very lively. Hmph. I think a few more training lessons are in order before we introduce him to the boat. He loves everyone and all other dogs, but he is like a fun-size greyhound , just faster. However he is used to wearing a necker-chief, so thats a start.

Now I dont know if this is a bit too adventurous, but in July, we are thinking of making for the mid levels etc. as we hale from Flat Lincolnshire., and yes we are proud to be yellow-bellies. I have a re-union date with my bestie from school days. so it would be good if we could at least get to peterboroiugh, and then Mick will have to do a few bus journeys to fetch the car from weedon.really looking forward to planning all this, and doing a few shuttles. it should be interesting. The only thing is we can't take Finlay(dog) on busses in UK, can we? Mick did suggest I wear dark glasses and cary a white stick, but Finlay wil never pass for a guide dog, unfortunately.

We quite fancy xmas time etc. as after 18 years in Spain, I am longing for cold, crisp mornings. Foggy Mornings. Mornings with a bit of snow or frost. anything like that really.

bye for now and thanks for all the replies/ " el woofo" indeed! :banghead: but I do know what Tonto means !!!!

The only thing is we can't take Finlay(dog) on busses in UK, can we? Mick did suggest I wear dark glasses and cary a white stick, but Finlay wil never pass for a guide dog, unfortunately.

When I had a dog, admittedly a few years ago, I never had any problem taking the dog on buses or trains. Except she liked sitting on strangers knees after a swim :P

Spanish, english, valenciano, you name it. ! The only thing is he is very, very lively. Hmph. I think a few more training lessons are in order before we introduce him to the boat. He loves everyone and all other dogs, but he is like a fun-size greyhound , just faster. However he is used to wearing a necker-chief, so thats a start.

Now I dont know if this is a bit too adventurous, but in July, we are thinking of making for the mid levels etc. as we hale from Flat Lincolnshire., and yes we are proud to be yellow-bellies. I have a re-union date with my bestie from school days. so it would be good if we could at least get to peterboroiugh, and then Mick will have to do a few bus journeys to fetch the car from weedon.really looking forward to planning all this, and doing a few shuttles. it should be interesting. The only thing is we can't take Finlay(dog) on busses in UK, can we? Mick did suggest I wear dark glasses and cary a white stick, but Finlay wil never pass for a guide dog, unfortunately.

We quite fancy xmas time etc. as after 18 years in Spain, I am longing for cold, crisp mornings. Foggy Mornings. Mornings with a bit of snow or frost. anything like that really.

bye for now and thanks for all the replies/ " el woofo" indeed! :P but I do know what Tonto means !!!!

Los lobos and good for you! Why don't you get some help and then Mick can drive to Peterborough? Just ask!!!

Los lobos and good for you! Why don't you get some help and then Mick can drive to Peterborough? Just ask!!!

well we have had another thought, and that is to drive up to lincolnshire when we get off the ferry, visit all the ancients, stay with great chums who are also dog-lover,therefore we will be made welcome, and then as soon as possible shoot back down to Weedon and START our cruise.I think we will be champing at the bit by then. but hey ho, its a solution. I am still looking forward to seeing if we can get Finlay on a bus. Does he require a pass ??? :P

• 2 weeks later...
well we have had another thought, and that is to drive up to lincolnshire when we get off the ferry, visit all the ancients, stay with great chums who are also dog-lover,therefore we will be made welcome, and then as soon as possible shoot back down to Weedon and START our cruise.I think we will be champing at the bit by then. but hey ho, its a solution. I am still looking forward to seeing if we can get Finlay on a bus. Does he require a pass ??? :rolleyes:

Hi

I am sure you can take dogs on buses, whether they're guide dogs or not.

I think guide dogs and other 'assistance dogs' get carried on most services free of charge, but usually standard fare is levied on other dogs if they're not small enough to be carried.

East Yorks buses policy -

Large dogs are carried at owners risk at a single fare anywhere. Same for return tickets.

Guide dogs are free of charge. Small dogs that can be carried in your lap are free of charge.

Why dont you look up the local bus companies you intend to use and check it out? I found the info on EY buses in a few minutes on the net.

;) Linty

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We are Paul and Allison Jackson. Have bought a 40ft narrowboat recently and discovered that bringing it up the Trent from Keadby to Redhill is not really a good idea in January. Has turned into a destruction test. Currently conked out at Stoke Bardolph lock. Hoping to bandage it a bit more to carry on!

Anyway it has been more than an interesting baptism to boating

cheers

PJ

Hi PJ,

Welcome to the club :D Hope you get your boat home safe and sound.

Hi Liam

Thanks for your good wishes. I would also like to thank the "boaters" who have helped us already. Pete at Keadby who piloted us to Torksey. The cruiser that helped us to get to Cromwell when the engine had overheated. Pete the "Boat Doctor" for his prompt service and helpful advice.

much appreciation to you all

PJ

Paul and Allison, welcome to the forum.

We're not a bad bunch on here, and I'm sure you'll get advice should you need it.

Hope you get back to your home base safely. Any questions or help needed - just ask. There's bound to be someone who can assist.

Janet

Hi

We are Paul and Allison Jackson. Have bought a 40ft narrowboat recently and discovered that bringing it up the Trent from Keadby to Redhill is not really a good idea in January. Has turned into a destruction test. Currently conked out at Stoke Bardolph lock. Hoping to bandage it a bit more to carry on!

cheers

PJ

Hi PJ,

Welcome aboard and if the Trent was your first outing, I think you did really well.

The Trent is not for the feint hearted, especially this time of year.

Hope you get your engine sorted, I guess it had to work hard coming up the Trent but at least now you are past Cromwell and off the tidal run.

Cheers,

M&P

Hi

cheers

PJ

Agree with Pauline - the Trent is a monster I would'nt want to tackle at this time of the year especially as a novice. I was born next to the Trent and have lived next to or near it for most of my life, even having rellies being claimed by it in the past. Have a well earned rest you deserve it B)