Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi Kev,

Yes will be to big for any of the narrow canals on the system 6' 10" is the normal beam, I've heard of wider negotiating narrow locks but not 8ft.

Ade

Thankyou for the reply this is what i had read else where

i spoke to somebody on a narrow boat yesterday and he said all locks you could get two boats in

are there many narrow locks around

Thankyou for the reply this is what i had read else where

i spoke to somebody on a narrow boat yesterday and he said all locks you could get two boats in

are there many narrow locks around

The furthest West you will get from Derby is after Burton-On Trent where the locks become 7 foot wide.

You can go thru Nottingham and down the Trent - No problem

You can go down the River Soar towards Leicester but again will hit 7 foot wide locks.

Try to avoid petrol engines boats as the regulations are much tighter, and, secondly there are very, very, very few places to fill up (unless you fancy a walk into the nearest village/town with some cans)

The furthest West you will get from Derby is after Burton-On Trent where the locks become 7 foot wide.

You can go thru Nottingham and down the Trent - No problem

You can go down the River Soar towards Leicester but again will hit 7 foot wide locks.

Try to avoid petrol engines boats as the regulations are much tighter, and, secondly there are very, very, very few places to fill up (unless you fancy a walk into the nearest village/town with some cans)

this information is much appreciated thankyou

Good day to you all, I'm new here and I'm looking forward to be getting a narrowboat for the first time, I've been looking and learning all summer, I hope to buy a second hand boat this October ! Now I'm going to have a look on this forum.

Peter

Hi folks.
Yep, another one, newbie that is.

We've brought a narrowboat 41 foot Sea Otter and are learning how to do things VERY SLOWLY.

A little bit different to charging round in a RIB in the sea.

Handling is "different", but everyone we've met is full of advice and help.

Bit different to what we are used to and really nice.

Anyway I've probably got the usual 1001 newbie questions but I firmly believe that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask because you're afraid of being laughed at.

So I guess you'll get a chuckle or two.

That's me for now.

Paul

Sea Otter, mmm nice boat, welcome Paul and hope you get the battery problem sorted. Don't stress on the bi-carb doing any damage, all you need do is once you are sure the acid has been neutralised just have a thorough wash down, bi-carb is nothing like as aggresive as sulphuric acid (it is used in cooking)

Phil

Hi

Can I introduce myself? My name is Lynsey and my husband and I have decided that we'd like to live on a boat!

We're totally at the start of the process and realistically a good 2/3 years away from being able to afford anything, but want to get as much knowledge as possible before that happens!

:-)

Hi

Can I introduce myself? My name is Lynsey and my husband and I have decided that we'd like to live on a boat!

We're totally at the start of the process and realistically a good 2/3 years away from being able to afford anything, but want to get as much knowledge as possible before that happens!

:-)

Welcome, you have come to the right place as there is a huge pool of knowledge to be tapped into here. Do plenty research, use the search button at the top of the page and do feel free to ask as many questions as you like, the replies will come thick and fast so remember to check back often.

Phil

Welcome, you have come to the right place as there is a huge pool of knowledge to be tapped into here. Do plenty research, use the search button at the top of the page and do feel free to ask as many questions as you like, the replies will come thick and fast so remember to check back often.

Phil

Perfect thank you!

I'm currently reading the Liveaboard guide by Tony Jones, so will no doubt come up with lots of questions - always handy to ask people with first hand experience.

Perfect thank you!

I'm currently reading the Liveaboard guide by Tony Jones, so will no doubt come up with lots of questions - always handy to ask people with first hand experience.

Hi Lynsey welcome to the forum.....as Phill says please, please, check back very regularly if you post a question on here, as the replies will be coming back within minutes of your post.

Lo all, i'm currently considering a mooring on the Stort with a nice little 22 to 27 foot 'Plastic boat' to go with it.

I live nearby the Stort and love the outdoors, peace and quiet and the odd social glass of wine :) , so the canals and rivers really do suit me.

I'm trying to do plenty of research before taking the plunge but as moorings are so rare on the Stort, rushing in hasn't been a problem !

Regards Mas

Hi All,

I am a First timer, just bought a second hand Sea Otter 2002 model (spray paint finish like most S. O's )

Paintwork is distressed and really needs renewing. Seem to be getting seriously expensive prices from places for a re-spray (will not have time during winter, or facilities, for doing myself) circa £7k. including lifting out etc.

What is your opinion on re-painting instead of spray ? The plus side I see is that any chips/damage caused by my novice handling can be easily touched up.

Hi Peter welcome to the forum, You will get answers here very quickly so please watch the boards regularly, the natives get restless if people post a question then disappear for hours or even days!

I can't advise much about painting as my main boat is an elderly ex working barge and a shiny spray paint job would look a bit daft.

The other is a GRP cruiser and a more than adequate finish can be achieved with a roller, feathered off with a brush. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute who is more qualified than me to quote.

Hi and welcome, as you have a S.O there is no problem with rust so just live with it till next year and then paint it yourself, sand down, fill and flat then apply with a roller and lay off with really good brush, sure it won't quite be upto a pro respray but it will stand the 10ft rule and will only cost you the price of paint and your time, I did our 60 footer and it didn't kill me and I'm old.

Phil

Hi and welcome, as you have a S.O there is no problem with rust so just live with it till next year and then paint it yourself, sand down, fill and flat then apply with a roller and lay off with really good brush, sure it won't quite be upto a pro respray but it will stand the 10ft rule and will only cost you the price of paint and your time, I did our 60 footer and it didn't kill me and I'm old.

Phil

OI!!! PHIL!........less of the old!....I was born a couple of months before you.....and I'm just nicely matured! smile.png

Hello! I'm everso new to this. And a bit scared. We've just bought a little 45' (Lily Rose) and are hopefully picking her up in about 3 weeks. I'm Jules, hubby's Steve and we've 3 girls (Grace, Georgina and Gabriella) and 2 greyhounds (Tommy and Willie). We're just using her for weekends and holidays but will get a bigger one in a couple of years all being well to live on. *waves to all* :D xx

Hi All,

I am a First timer, just bought a second hand Sea Otter 2002 model (spray paint finish like most S. O's )

Paintwork is distressed and really needs renewing. Seem to be getting seriously expensive prices from places for a re-spray (will not have time during winter, or facilities, for doing myself) circa £7k. including lifting out etc.

What is your opinion on re-painting instead of spray ? The plus side I see is that any chips/damage caused by my novice handling can be easily touched up.

The nice thing is it's made from aluminium so it won't rust so unlike a steel boat, you only have the aesthetic side to worry about. I'd as suggested do it yourself start on the roof with an orbital sander, aluminium primer then a top coat, brush or roller, personally I go brush, sand, roller a second coat. There are lot of good types of paint out there if I had an ally boat I'd look at paint systems specifically for ally like garage doors and things that work best on that metal. The time to get a top paint job is before you sell where you may get some of your money back not when you've just bought when you're more likely to damage it (no slur on your driving skills).

K

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. My name is Antony. My wife and myself are currently looking for a boat. We have been looking for quite a while but not found the right one yet.We have hired and went to Crick this year to get the low down and some new ideas. I have been gongoozling on here for a while and decided to participate in the forum.

Thanks for having me.

Antony