Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone, we're brand new to boating and, utter virgins to the finer details of escaping landlock and, yet to have a boat to call home. We've followed the greater amount of whats been written on this forum and feel we needed the comparitive warmth of "Like-minded People" to help, though also in the long term, to help others. With the cost of living in this modern age with Mortgages and Council tax rises and the fact we've been giving this at least 3 years thought on the matter of live aboard ownership and, of course the recent Bank Of England Rate rise to 5.25%, who in their right mind wouldn't consider the waterways of England as space to breath??

We have some facts at our fingertips already and, something that may either be a help to those that are new or old to boating in and around the Central Midland area. Pillings Marina is about 10 miles from Leicester and, around 3 miles from Loughborough located in the affluent Quorndon and Barrow-upon-Soar district. Just off of the Grand Union Canal, it is in the beginning stages of being built and already in the process of taking bookings for long or short stay moorings. If you check out their website on www.pillingslock.com I'm very sure you'll be interested in what is to offer.

We have spoken to many different marinas over these past months regarding spaces for mooring our first boat and, in every different conversation we had, the same point about getting a sight first was brought up. To have found this one feels as though we're already winning half of the battle. I don't have any connection with this company other than that we've already placed a deposit for our berth. I know this is our very first message but couldn't hold back after being told in many circumstances that we'd only get a berth if we bought a boat from the same marina until now!!!

Some total horror stories have been visited by us over the course of trying to find a suitable home. Many in our price range rose more than an eyebrow at the sheer gaul at venders assuming a '73 Springer was "Right Up Our Street!!" Realising that looking at a boat with lots of 'Bells & Whistles' isn't always the direction to go in when you wonder if it'll sink with both 2 cats and all your worldly possesions on board. Its not going to bring those personal effects back with a simple "Sorry" from the vendor who sold it to you either!!!

Anyway, its been educational so far, finding the same pittfalls as in any other part of life. The Rose Coloured Spectacles have been well and trully 'thrown in the cut'.

I look forward to any interested party who has any interesting stories either good or bad to impart about their first boat buy and, as they say,' a problem shared...'

We very much look forward to hearing from you all. Best Wishes ,Paul & Andrea

[we've been giving this at least 3 years thought]

Oh, We have been in research mode for ages and ages and ages and... well actually ..... 3 weeks. Still got a bit to go I think.

I have seen the pilings lock marina website, it looks good. Are you buying or renting a mooring?

Also, if you don't mind me asking ,(and I'll through ths open to anyone) are you selling your house to buy the boat and if so what comes first, a buyer for the house, a mooring for the a boat, a boat to live in while you sell the house or do you rent a house while you sell your own and then buy a boat. Can you buy a boat on the previso you sell your house?

If you book a mooring but don't use it straight away do you pay for it or do you pay a holding fee or do you rent it out or or or or or I think I'm going into question overload here.

I wish you both the very best of luck with your endevor/adventure and I hope I am following soon.

Kev

Apologies for any miss spelled words and repeat q's that have already been asked and answered. <_<

I will no doubt come accross them as I continue to scour the forum.

Welcome

Paul and Andrea also Dyad

[we've been giving this at least 3 years thought]

Oh, We have been in research mode for ages and ages and ages and... well actually ..... 3 weeks. Still got a bit to go I think. Yes definitely

I have seen the pilings lock marina website, it looks good. Are you buying or renting a mooring?

Also, if you don't mind me asking ,(and I'll through ths open to anyone) are you selling your house to buy the boat and if so what comes first, a buyer for the house, a mooring for the a boat, a boat to live in while you sell the house or do you rent a house while you sell your own and then buy a boat. Can you buy a boat on the previso you sell your house?

Slow down, :cheers: I will try to give you some of the answers (not necessarily the complete answer as there are many grey areas :cheers: I am selling my house to buy a boat to liveaboard [continuously cruising so no need for a mooring, I am retired {early}]

To be continuous cruiser you have to comply with certain requirements

My planning: Ordered boat, two year waiting list for build slot, put house on market same day, house sale delayed owing to no one wanting to buy it, build slot came and went, lucky that boat builder was understanding and found another boat buyer that could go ahead straight away, so we took their slot for later. We are lucky that when the house sells we will be able to move in with our daughter while the boat is built.

To buy a boat on the proviso of selling your house will depend on your boat builder/seller

If you book a mooring but don't use it straight away do you pay for it or do you pay a holding fee or do you rent it out or or or or or I think I'm going into question overload here.

From previous threads I expect you to have to pay the full rate as moorings are apparently like hens teeth in some parts.

I wish you both the very best of luck with your endevor/adventure and I hope I am following soon.

Kev

Apologies for any miss spelled words and repeat q's that have already been asked and answered. :cheers:

I will no doubt come accross them as I continue to scour the forum.

Have a search (top right) if you are unable to find the answer put a question on the appropriate thread and some one will point you in the right direction or answer it for you.

Good luck to you all. <_<

Edit: typo's

Edited by bottle

Hi Kev, good to hear from you!! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can with the info we've managed to gain so far.

The most important area to cover first, to those who are new to boating such as ourselves, is mooring. I know that the more experienced can set themselves up along the river with everything to hand to be self reliant but, we felt that by placing ourselves in a marina for the first year would give us time to get generators and inverters, water, diesel and, most importantly, contacts that could make our lives easier by far. After all, without experience of the day to day running of a house, you can come unstuck without friends and family to help at the beginning. In our case, we've little experience of canal boats and, without support, a greater part of surviving our first year will have to be based on forums such as this and to locals that have a great many answers to our questions.

Questions questions... Pilling Marina is, so far, perfect for those that wish to sell their house and buy a boat because they're building the place as we speak. They also allow time for you to get your boat there before they charge you for mooring. For what I understand, if you put a £350 deposit down as we have, when you have your boat ready and in place, then you make the rest of the payements. Also, if for example your house sale falls through or you change your mind, they will gladly give you back your deposit in full. This is apparently because of the large amount of new boats coming into the system at a rate of around 1100 a year. With a low amount of mooring spaces as it is and, new marinas opening up at a slower rate than need, you can guess a rush is always going to be the case here. Therefore, to lose you would be no great hardship to them because a queue would have formed behind you for that space.

As regards our house. We'll see around 10 to £15000 from its sale after all costs are accounted for and want to buy a narrow boat for upto and around 30k. In order to do that and save the cost of renting another place on a short term basis, we see a 'bridging loan' as the best option for this. If you consider that the average rent on a 6 month contract for a 2 bedroom house would leave us little change from £3000, this is a dent in our pockets which we would rather place into the boat. Also, the cost of a bridging loan would be expensive in principal, but wouldn't cost us £3000.

Buying a boat on the proviso of selling your house would be down to the lender to make a decision on and not the seller of the boat.

In a nutshell:-

The mooring reserved first is something to aim for.

Using Pillings Marina for this allows time as the section we've booked isn't going to be completed until late April/early May.

We'll buy a boat after the house sells in principle and lawyers are setting a transfer of funds from the future owner of our house.

A bridging loan will be used to pay for our new boat.

The loan for the boat will be paid off after completion of the sale of the house.

Seeing it in black and white sets my stomach churning to be honest. I remember the stress of buying the house we live in now though and, how it felt so out of control and unplanned and yet, all came together. At the finish of all this, we could end up with a boat we can't afford if the house sale falls through. It would mean working every hour God sent to pay for both a Mortgage and a Bridging loan whilst waiting for a new buyer for the house!!! However, this I think is the risk you take when you want to make a change in your life for the better. It has to be the answer if its the right choice and, for these choices and all choices, some modicum of risk and sacrifice have to be given.

I'm worrying that certain aspects of what I'm writing may be taken as pure fact. I wish for those that read this to put into action any of these ideas by first going out and doing their own homework, rather than taking what I've written here as gospel. We have to go over many of the final details of putting plan into action and welcome anyone to offer suggestion. We're complete boat virgins and don't wish to offend anyone by assuming we know better....

We hope this info can be of some help to you. Kind Regards, Paul & Andrea

Hi, I'm Paul, I'm 39 years old, live in London and still dunno what I wanna do what I grow up. :cheers:

I'm also new to boating.

So new that I don't even own a boat ... yet.

It's an idea I've been toying with for a few years, I've talked myself out of it loads of times (for loads of reasons) and now I'm back and thinking about it again. Maybe I'm too sensible for my own good.

Anyway, I'm now gonna read loads and take advantage of what looks like an invaluable resource. <_<

I've talked myself out of it loads of times (for loads of reasons) and now I'm back and thinking about it again.

Hi Paul, welcome to the Forum.

I usually only talk myself out of things I don't want to do. You clearly want to do something, so go for it.

Hi Paul, welcome to the Forum.

I usually only talk myself out of things I don't want to do. You clearly want to do something, so go for it.

Thanks for the welcome.

I think it's a matter of wanting to, but being very cautious about the sacrifices I would need to make in terms of space, modern comforts and electronic gadgetry/internet etc ... along with how to make a living once I'm afloat.

I'm hoping this forum will show me how other people have coped with such obstacles and what compromises they made. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

My name is Steve and my better half is Susan. We started off hiring about 25 years ago when the kids were still young. However, we got fed up of the rising hire prices and started to save for our own boat which we launched at Wincham Wharf in June 1999.

After mooring at Crooke Marina in Wigan for a few years we decided to join one of the clubs on the Bridgewater Canal and we now have a mooring there.

I have been lurking for quite a while now and I assisted a limping Maffi down Wigan flight a few months ago. Our boat is a 40ft Liverpool Boat with a cruiser stern.

As I am a novice with a computer I may have to get the grandkids to help me so bear with me.

Steve

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hello all. I'm Jason. I'm planning on selling up and buying a narrowboat or something similar this summer. Hopefully my dog and I will become liveaboarders, constantly touring to start with but we may find a permanent mooring eventually. I'll be asking lots of questions and I'll be very interested in your answers :cheers:

Hello all. I'm Jason. I'm planning on selling up and buying a narrowboat or something similar this summer. Hopefully my dog and I will become liveaboarders, constantly touring to start with but we may find a permanent mooring eventually. I'll be asking lots of questions and I'll be very interested in your answers :D

Hello Jason, welcome to you and your dog.

Please ask lots of questions, you'll get lots of answers and most of them will be rubbish but there'll be some real gems in there too. Your main problem will be to tell which is which.

Allan

Hello Jason, welcome to you and your dog.

Please ask lots of questions, you'll get lots of answers and most of them will be rubbish but there'll be some real gems in there too. Your main problem will be to tell which is which.

Allan

Hi Jason

Welcome, Allan is right but also don't forget to use the search facility (top right) you may find answers there, if you are not totally sure do ask a question on that thread or start another one.

• 1 month later...

Hello from the Antipodies.. my name is Bill. surname starts with P hence the nick WILLIP.. [Willy.P] comes from my flying days!! We ,the Mrs and I are considering the idea of buying a smallish narrowboat and cruising for at least this Nothern summer and possibly next as well. I have a fair bit of boating experience, but nothing like a canal boat or canals... We just dont have them in our neck of the woods!! Looks a great life tho.. I have many questions that I need to ask so I hope you lovely folk will bear with a ignorant colonial when he asks the "Bleeding obvious"!!! it may be to you but its all a steep learning curve from where I'm looking at it. Found a few likely boats on the web [29ft to 50ft] and have sent a enquiry on some... The sort of things I'd like to know are the basic really.. The purchase cost ..Yes easy to see. But its the standing charges , Mooring, BSC Licence Costs etc when travelling I need to find a bit about.. But more questions later I guess Cheers for now .. WilliP

Hello from the Antipodies.. my name is Bill. surname starts with P hence the nick WILLIP.. [Willy.P] comes from my flying days!! We ,the Mrs and I are considering the idea of buying a smallish narrowboat and cruising for at least this Nothern summer and possibly next as well. I have a fair bit of boating experience, but nothing like a canal boat or canals... We just dont have them in our neck of the woods!! Looks a great life tho.. I have many questions that I need to ask so I hope you lovely folk will bear with a ignorant colonial when he asks the "Bleeding obvious"!!! it may be to you but its all a steep learning curve from where I'm looking at it. Found a few likely boats on the web [29ft to 50ft] and have sent a enquiry on some... The sort of things I'd like to know are the basic really.. The purchase cost ..Yes easy to see. But its the standing charges , Mooring, BSC Licence Costs etc when travelling I need to find a bit about.. But more questions later I guess Cheers for now .. WilliP

Welcome! :banned: Have you discovered the search facility on this forum? It will give you loads of information to assist your quest. Permenant moorings are quite hard to find, but it sounds as though you will be continuously cruising, and I think moorings are generally free for a certain period of time. The boat should come with a boat safety certificate which will last 4 years I think (or less if it isn't newly issued). Any thing you can't find just ask away - there is a wealth of information available from the forum members!

Edited by Bones

• 2 weeks later...

well hellllloooooo, dahlinks!

Excuse me! (got my G&T head on) Needed a little dutch (barge-size) courage to out myself as a newbie to boating because this is the year, having donned the lifejacket of advice from all of you good boaters here, I take the plunge (can't resist it, sorry, Bob) buy my first home on the water. I am sooo excited!

I have read a lot and talked to many people about boats/the lifestyle etc. and no longer have such a romantic idea about life afloat.

I just know that I'll love it. ...Of course, having said that, I have to view many more boats and know that I won't be able to be choosy, but hurrah! for my Dad and my brother who are just as keen to help me realise my dream via DIY-ing assistance and boat-viewing support.

I live in N/East london and would love to purchase a boat on a mooring on the lovely River Lea. (I wish!!)

The boat will be just for me, so will be looking at 45-55ft boats and hope to secure finance to £35 - £40K. Am looking into loans etc. now.

I'll even rent a boat for a while if the opportunity comes up!

Anyway, thanks again in advance for such a fantastically informative and amusing site. I hope to return here again before the end of the summer with news of a purchase!

Bestest wishes to you all,

catseyes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Have been looking here for a while since getting our boat, a Sea Otter 41. We are "young" liveraboards but not new to the boating thing. My girlfriends parents have an ex BW narrowboat (currently been renervated) and we took to the idea of living on board as a more affordable way to live near to work.

Have been living life to the full since October 06, just can't wait for the summer to come round quick as we have lived through the winter, which hasn't been bad, but can't wait for the summer so we can sit out on the front deck.

So Bring on the Summer SUN!!

Hi all!

Have been looking here for a while since getting our boat, a Sea Otter 41. We are "young" liveraboards but not new to the boating thing. My girlfriends parents have an ex BW narrowboat (currently been renervated) and we took to the idea of living on board as a more affordable way to live near to work.

Have been living life to the full since October 06, just can't wait for the summer to come round quick as we have lived through the winter, which hasn't been bad, but can't wait for the summer so we can sit out on the front deck.

So Bring on the Summer SUN!!

and a gorgeous summer it will be too! You have survived the winter, so it can only get better...! :cheers::D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi One and all

Semi newby, have been sailing about 4 years in the Irish sea, Have applied for 30 day ticket for the canals and was looking to transit the waterways from Liverpool to London What I need is some information on duration of such a transit could it be done in 30 days. I have an Anual ticket for the medway so I get 15 days on the Thames. Just the durtion.

Boat is 7' 2" Beam and 9" Draft. Any help would be grateful.

o and thanks to whoever connected me to the site, have made 3 attempts to register and just could get on, so big THANKS to the admin team. :D

MAD MAC

Hi One and all

Semi newby, have been sailing about 4 years in the Irish sea, Have applied for 30 day ticket for the canals and was looking to transit the waterways from Liverpool to London What I need is some information on duration of such a transit could it be done in 30 days. I have an Anual ticket for the medway so I get 15 days on the Thames. Just the durtion.

Boat is 7' 2" Beam and 9" Draft. Any help would be grateful.

o and thanks to whoever connected me to the site, have made 3 attempts to register and just could get on, so big THANKS to the admin team. :D

MAD MAC

According to Canalplan the journey should take you about 25 days. At this time of year the days are long so you should have no trouble, but the 7'2" beam may just be a little tight in some of the locks.

Allan

To give you a rough idea, and something to compare John's travelling times too.. in 2005 I did Tring, GU to the Bridgewater in 7 days.

Thanks guys. Just one more thing , am I right in thinking the best route for me (7' 2" beam) would be the Shropshire Union onto the Grand Union. :D

and thanks again.

Don

Once you get to the bottom of the Shroppie, are you thinking about going through Birmingham, or across the Staffs & Worcs to the Trent and Mersey? The route we took going from Tring to Manchester was... Grand Union, North Oxford, Coventry, Trent & Mersey and then onto the Bridgewater.

You would definately be able to make it along the Leeds & Liverpool, Bridgewater and Trent & Mersey Canal as far as Middlewich. I couldn't definately guarantee any further but I can't see a problem with going along the Trent & Mersey to Fradley Junction. What length is the boat and what's your air draught? And as for the draught, 9 inches seems pretty shallow!?

Personally I'd take the Trent&Mersey to Fradley, then down the Coventry and Oxford canals to Braunston, then of course the GU to London. I don't think there are any locks narrower than 7'2" along that route (although some others here with older boats may know differently).

The 9" draught is certainly very shallow. I hadn't thought about the air draught, but I'd be surprised if it was a problem (surely anything over 6' of air draught but only 9" water draught would be pretty unstable?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Yes another couple new to boating! well that new we have not got one yet! but hope that throught the forum we can avoid some of the pitfalls that others may have encountered. We will be aquiring a narrowboat in the next 12 to 18 months be it new or secondhand. Our intentions are entirely honourable in that we intend to try and gain as much info from you experienced guys as possible. I hope that not yet having a boat will not be a bar to this as we are committed to a liveaboard and are just waiting for retirement to do it. Being a regular visitor to the site I am aware that most of the technical issues have been covered and are available through searches etc and will try not to replicate these subjects. Thanks in advance for putting up with us (trev & caz)