Determining engine condition by analysing a sample of the oil

Featured Posts

I read recently that an engine's condition can be reasonably determined by analyzing a sample of the oil. Apparently this can determine whether there is any coolant / fuel leakage and if there is any debris caused by worn out components of the engine.

However on the forum I haven't heard any mention of this at all so wonder how accurate this is and if it is worthwhile at all. If it is worthwhile then surely it would be sensible to include this at the survey stage to reveal any engine defects ?

I read recently that an engine's condition can be reasonably determined by analyzing a sample of the oil. Apparently this can determine whether there is any coolant / fuel leakage and if there is any debris caused by worn out components of the engine.

However on the forum I haven't heard any mention of this at all so wonder how accurate this is and if it is worthwhile at all. If it is worthwhile then surely it would be sensible to include this at the survey stage to reveal any engine defects ?

The surveyor who we used on our first NB purchase had an oil analysis done for the engine. It was useful in that it showed that incorrect oil had been used in the engine on its last change.

There was mention recently of a company who carry out oil analysis.

We use to oil sample all our engines when I worked offshore on a regular basis, I think it use to take about a fortnight before the results came back.

Changing engine oil I usually carry out this simple routine on the waste oil

Look at oil colour and also that it’s not too thick

Smell the oil to see no fuel or antifreeze has got in

Feel the oil to see if there is any grit like material or metal pieces in it

If everything looks and feels right and engine is running ok

why added more cost

... As others have alluded to, its important to understand what the results mean in the context of your engine.

Graham

Hear Hear,

I've had oil analysis done on a car engine, and quite frankly I understood one line in ten.

I'm someone who likes learning, but this was too much.

In my case it was done by Millers oils, I forget the turnaround time, but it's not something you do after draining the engine, and wait for the results before refilling it.

I understand, where it's used on big engines, and the operators are going for extended oil changes, a sample is drawn off every so often to determine how much life is left in the oil.

The other thing is that if you are running a fleet you get many examples, which makes it easier to spot the rogue if one turns up.

I suggest you aim to do it out of personal interest, not because it's cost effective preventative maintenance. Spotting a problem early, and saving money because of that 'early spot', is a bonus, if it happens.

Cheers.

The subject of engine oils crops up on the forum regularly. Oil sampling is great when in context but is not necessary for the average narrowboat. Its far more important to use the correct grade of oil and change it at the appropriate interval. It beggars belief how many people don't do this. An easy way to get an idea of oil condition is to simply smell it. Heavily contaminated oil stinks and is usually a good indicator of poor maintenance.

I would imagine this is very common on aero engines and ship engines too

Too slow and expensive for canal boats I imagine

Richard

Yes aircraft piston engines regularly have the waste oil analysed & the old filter chopped open to spot any nasties. The onset of cam followers breaking up was discovered on a Lycoming engined Cessna 172 I regularly flew, such that they could be replaced before any failure.

Yes aircraft piston engines regularly have the waste oil analysed & the old filter chopped open to spot any nasties. The onset of cam followers breaking up was discovered on a Lycoming engined Cessna 172 I regularly flew, such that they could be replaced before any failure.

Yes, many people would agree that being able to predict (and therefore prevent) the imminent failure of an aircraft engine would be useful. On a canal boat, there is slightly less at stake.

There is a DIY version available

http://www.oil-spy.com/

I've not used it myself but it might be worth a try

Anth

Looks good.

We used to do it on big ship engines (20 - 40,000 hp)

The life a the basic lub oil could be extended and damage to the engine minimised. After analysis, various additives could be put in the oil to bring it back in to spec.

For example, when burning 3500 sec HRFO you used to get high sulphur levels. This could be neutralised by additives. Centrifuging, removed particulates but also the detergents that they clung to. Again..... add detergents to maintain levels.

But it's horses for courses...... These engines ran for several weeks at a time, non stop, at high loads. A full lub oil change would be measured in the 100's of tonnes, not the few gallons that NB engines hold.

For NB's...... regular oil changes (with the correct oil)

We used to do it on big ship engines (20 - 40,000 hp)

The life a the basic lub oil could be extended and damage to the engine minimised. After analysis, various additives could be put in the oil to bring it back in to spec.

For example, when burning 3500 sec HRFO you used to get high sulphur levels. This could be neutralised by additives. Centrifuging, removed particulates but also the detergents that they clung to. Again..... add detergents to maintain levels.

But it's horses for courses...... These engines ran for several weeks at a time, non stop, at high loads. A full lub oil change would be measured in the 100's of tonnes, not the few gallons that NB engines hold.

For NB's...... regular oil changes (with the correct oil)

Agreed, plus filter of course.

I believe that the most critical oil change (for boats that are winterised) is the one before the boat is laid up for the cold months. I always change the oil and filter in October and fire the engine up occasionally over winter. It only costs around 20 quid for my engine.

Hi, if your engine is running ok and not burning oil or losing water,just keep it regularily serviced with good quality correct grade oil and filters and when starting up occasionally over the winter make sure you run it long enough to get up to operating temperature to avoid condensation build up inside(this is very important), Oil sampling does give engine condition results on hard working heavy plant etc but first try simply cutting open and inspecting the oil filter contents with a magnifying glass,this will give a good idea as to what if anything is beginning to fail on your NB engine. If in doubt,Caterpillar and other large plant suppliers do an oil sampling analysis service.