Washing Machines

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

See post 11 -

Though I suspect Tim's machine won;t play with any thing that isn't pure sine.

Yes they are made its an LG Direct drive. It has no belt to snap either as the motor drives directly thro a gearbox to the drum. I would doubt very much if it would run on anything put pure sine as it has worst luck loads of silly lights etc and they do cost 700 quid so not cheap BUT does what it says on the tin so to speak. Just a thought they do come with a TEN year guarantee and hold lots of washing so are more economical to use than the standard 5kg types...............

Edited by mrsmelly

I use a candy aquamatic 10t washing machine and have run it off a 400 watt inverter. If you get a washing machine without a printed circuit board and an option for cold wash, as said before you, can fill from the calorifia. As with most things containing an element, this is what uses the power.

These can still be found on ebay, I got for a friend about 3 months ago for £80.(excuse spelling!)

Edited by pykebird

i used to have one of the twin tubs on the last boat, found it a godsend when we were out, length of wash is up to you....how far you turn the dial. We filled it from the shower head and emptied via the shower too. Great for keeping up with 'smalls' and lighter clothing, not really big enough for big bath towels, but jeans one at a time are ok. Spinner if brilliant, and I sometimes hand washed and just span with it for larger stuff.

I thought even though on shoreline though, it's still passing thru the inverter so you can only have the maximum rating of what your inverter is? Am I wrong? Im going to get that 2200w vacuum out and see if it works (before we were on shoreline it never did - it just kept cutting out!)

Can others confirm too?

If you have a Combi charger/inverter then the shoreline power does indeed go through the Combi which theoretically makes the max output power of the inverter irrelevant in such circumstances.

In practice an AC changeover relay operates when shore power is detected automatically disconnecting & switching off the inverter (if it was on) & putting any AC load on the shore supply. This relay does have a current limit though although its usually generous (25-30 amps typically) but should been borne in mind.

The Victron Combi ( 12/3000/100) works as "support" for the shoreline, if the shoreline is a bit "lacking", drawing the excess from the battery bank...

Our shoreline is limited by the 6 amp trip, and we were getting tripped out frequently until I realised the limit calibration knob was not accurately marked, and it was trying to draw ? 10 amps with it set to "5" amps. The shoreline will not cope with the start-up current of the vacuum unless the inverter is on and supplementing it - let alone the washing machine...

Nick

Do you guys think this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380374665801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5762wt_1067

would be ok to do every day washing in then? Im thinking I'm going to want to d bedding and towels and things as well.

What do you guys think?

Lewis

I have a Zanussi compact automatic 1300ZWC washing machine. It draws 1600w max so I'm able to run it from my generator without modification of the cold fill. It's a nice machine but it's only about 3kg max load so while I can wash sheets & duvet covers, if I want to wash a duvet it's off to the laundrette.

As others have said, when it comes to running (large) appliances from your batteries & inverter, it's not just the inverter output that's important but also the quality of the AC sinewave that it produces.

As you've just discovered, your inverter doesn't limit your mains supply while you are on shore power - it's bypassed, but once you unplug your shore power cable and go for a cruise everything changes. Either you'll have to go for a different inverter (& possibly beef up your battery bank!); a Travelpower which is lake a large alternator that produces AC; buy a decent generator; use launderettes while you're on the move, or accumulate a large pile of dirty clothes and wash the lot when you get back to your mooring!

Edited by blackrose

Do you guys think this: http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_5762wt_1067

would be ok to do every day washing in then? Im thinking I'm going to want to d bedding and towels and things as well.

What do you guys think?

Lewis

I was moored next to a liveaboard a couple of weeks ago and he was raving (in a good way) about his little twin tub. He said it will cope with anything, sheets, towels no problem. They got it to wash bedding and he said it is the best value for money item they have ever bought.

I have a 1600w inverter and an 1800w automatic washing machine. Away from mains shoreline it works perfectly - provided the engine is running. So I put the washing on after I set off for a days cruising. I think the 1800w rating is based on the machine having to heat it's own water, but obviously when the engine is running there is a constant supply of very hot water, so the electrical draw is much less.

I think the simplest rule is: only use high draw equipment when the engine is running. The batteries are only for small devices.

I was moored next to a liveaboard a couple of weeks ago and he was raving (in a good way) about his little twin tub. He said it will cope with anything, sheets, towels no problem. They got it to wash bedding and he said it is the best value for money item they have ever bought.

Has he got the one i posted in that link Neil?

Cheers WJM too!