Winter Preparation

Emerald

Featured Posts

Hi Guys I am new to the forum and especially new to boating. I have just bought a narrowboat and have no experience whatsover. So whilst my blood pressure is rising (I thought it should be the other way around) I am starting to panic about all the things I should do to protect my investment during the winter months? I am hoping to check on the boat weekly or at least once a fortnight and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction regarding keeping the interior of the boat frost free?

Any replies will be gratefully appreciated apart from the ones that tell me that I am mad as this will just cause me further palpitations. :wacko:

Hi Guys I am new to the forum and especially new to boating. I have just bought a narrowboat and have no experience whatsover. So whilst my blood pressure is rising (I thought it should be the other way around) I am starting to panic about all the things I should do to protect my investment during the winter months? I am hoping to check on the boat weekly or at least once a fortnight and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction regarding keeping the interior of the boat frost free?

Any replies will be gratefully appreciated apart from the ones that tell me that I am mad as this will just cause me further palpitations. :wacko:

Unless you are a live-aboard then it makes no real difference whether you visit the boat weekly or never until next Spring; most of the preparations will be exactly the same. Are you requiring a list of winterising items or a full set of instructions on what to winterise and how to do each one (bearing in mind that precise instructions will vary slightly depending on the boat and fit out etc)?

Roger

Hi and welcome-

Our prep last year (the first year we owned owned a NB) -

A check of the antifreeze strength in both the engine and the central heating system.

Isolate the water tank from the pumps using the fitted taps between.

Turned off both hot and cold water pumps.

Opened all taps and drained the system as best we could.

Detached the shower head and drained it (They split if water freezes in them)

Isolated the cassette loo water supply and pressed the flush switch a couple of times to let water out of the flushing system.

Wrapped up both pumps in a thick blanket/cushions to insulate them against frost damage.

Topped up the batteries and left the charger on. (we were/are on shore power)

All was well despite one of the harshest winters ever, well apart from one small pipe that split from the bottom of the water filter tap in the bathroom, stupidly I'd forgotten to open that particular tap.

HTH

Well at the end of this trip I shall be draining my water system including the calorifier, pump, shower mixer and pipes all the way back to the storage tank which I will leave half full. The engine and radiator have antifreeze in them and the solar panels will be connected to the batteries.

Well at the end of this trip I shall be draining my water system including the calorifier, pump, shower mixer and pipes all the way back to the storage tank which I will leave half full. The engine and radiator have antifreeze in them and the solar panels will be connected to the batteries.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the boat will be in a marina and Yes it will have electric hook up.I am not currently planning to live aboard but am in the process of selling my house. The boat is new, so I am guessing the hot tank and cold water supplies will be empty anyway? The heating system is fin rads and apart from that I think what I am asking is can I leave any heat source on and if so what sort of heating do most people use?

The other worry (and don't laugh at this) is as it is a cruiser stern do I have any worries about Rain and snow getting into the engine compartment and sinking the boat?

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the boat will be in a marina and Yes it will have electric hook up.I am not currently planning to live aboard but am in the process of selling my house. The boat is new, so I am guessing the hot tank and cold water supplies will be empty anyway? The heating system is fin rads and apart from that I think what I am asking is can I leave any heat source on and if so what sort of heating do most people use?

The other worry (and don't laugh at this) is as it is a cruiser stern do I have any worries about Rain and snow getting into the engine compartment and sinking the boat?

There are no stupid (or laughable questions) only stupid answers !!!!!

Heating - As you have a 'hook-up' available you could leave an electric 'greenhouse' heater set on 'Frost Stat'. It will only kick in at below 5 degrees and doesnt use a lot of electrickery (but obviously does use a certain amount). Whats the knowledge that you wont freeze up worth to you ? (£50 of electricity, £100 of electricity ?????)

I've had a couple of cruiser stern NB's and both have had a bit of water 'leakage' into the bilge due to rain etc.

The first one we purchased had in fact been sunk at the back end due to leaves blocking the water drain points and water filling up the bilge - new starter motor, refurbish the alternator and new gearbox needed.

We fitted 'pram hoods' to both of them and solved the problem - but either a 'made to measure' (fitted) tonneau cover or even a tied down tarpaulin will minimise water ingress.

No wrong - if your builder has done their job correctly they will have tested all the on board systems, consequently they will have residual amounts of water in them..

And yes get some sort of cover over your stern.

I have just been reading the suggestions on WATERSCAPE and I think the engine might use a sea strainer and drag the water from the canal as a coolant? The engines is a Barrus Shire 37 if so can someone please elaborate on how these work and how I might ensure the engine is drained of water please?

Possible but unlikely. most NBs are skin tank cooled

• 3 weeks later...

After a minor date change we are hoping to pick up our boat next weekend. I am still worried about how and what to drain to stop any frost damage. A guy at the marina said there will be water as the PDI had just been completed. He also suggested a small heater to leave on board over the winter but I am confused on the type he meant? Something along the lines of a green house heater I think?

If anyone uses anything like this would you be so kind as to post me some pictures of whats available please?

I have mains hook up and a 1600 watt inverter.

something to cover the rear deck is almost a must, there were more than just a few boats sunk last year due to the ingress of water following heavy and lasting snow. Whether this was just down to faulty bilge pumps, no leccy to run bilge pumps, or no bilge pumps at all, is relevant to the owners of those boats.

It is down to you to make sure it doesn't become relevant to you.

Currys do frost heaters.

something to cover the rear deck is almost a must, there were more than just a few boats sunk last year due to the ingress of water following heavy and lasting snow. Whether this was just down to faulty bilge pumps, no leccy to run bilge pumps, or no bilge pumps at all, is relevant to the owners of those boats.

It is down to you to make sure it doesn't become relevant to you.

Currys do frost heaters.

Thanks I will take a look as for the covers I have just received a reply from Wilsons they currently have a 6 week waiting list. :wacko:

Thanks I will take a look as for the covers I have just received a reply from Wilsons they currently have a 6 week waiting list. :wacko:

try Kinver canopies (ex wilsons staff) ,and search Wilsons on here using the search engine. I will say nothing more. :help:

There are also a couple of good canopy/cratch makers at Braunston.

We have a pram hood that covers much of our semi-trad cruiser stern, we didn't sink last year despite scare stories you might read on here, about our potential to do so....

If you are really concerned a strong plastic sheet or tarpaulin held down with bricks or similar over the rear counter will be fine as long as you check it frequently...

ed to add - plus what Matty said above....

Edited by MJG

We have a rain cover for use when boat is tied up, unfortunately one of the side dodgers blew away in the gales of a few weeks back, and I was astonished how much water had found its way into the bilge even though the cover was still in place. I wish I could afford a really good quality canopy. Instead I have a wet vac...

America has just had their first snow of the winter and guess what, No Electricity. Now if the same happens here you would have no heat in your boat.

Brian

That depends on your marina. Last winter we had a series of lenghty power cuts at Burton Waters and they brought in some large generators to keep the shore power online :cheers:

After a minor date change we are hoping to pick up our boat next weekend. I am still worried about how and what to drain to stop any frost damage. A guy at the marina said there will be water as the PDI had just been completed. He also suggested a small heater to leave on board over the winter but I am confused on the type he meant? Something along the lines of a green house heater I think?

If anyone uses anything like this would you be so kind as to post me some pictures of whats available please?

I have mains hook up and a 1600 watt inverter.

You can use oil filled radiators for heaters (Argos), we have 2 on ours, a 500watt and a 750 watt I think. Over last winter they used £60 or so of electricity.

You'll never manage to check it only once a week. Before you go to bed you will suddenly become convinced that it is likely to sink and nothing will satisfy youj other than paying a visit. I did this quite a few times on a winter's night when we first got Theodora.

Nick

If you have yet to collect your boat - - - - from the builders I assume (?) - I strongly suggest that the very best thing you could do would be to make sure they spend time with you on the handover of the boat, and, as well as all the other subjects you'll be discussing with them, ask them to give you a 100& complete summary and explanation of how to winterise your boat.

And take notes.

If you feel you haven't understood everything the first time - ask them to go through it again with you

• 10 months later...

I too am new to boating and this is my first winter. I have an old,small and simple narrow boat with a Paloma heater. I have drained the water tank and emptied the hot and cold taps and generally followed the really useful advice posted here and elsewhere on these forums. With the Paloma I have taken out the drain plug (nothing came out which I have on the very good authority of Paloma Bill means there is undoubtedly water still in there). Here comes the really stupid question (I have my coat at the ready): if you don't use your water for drinking (I use bottled water) is it feasible to put antifreeze in the water supply or (if you have drained the water as I have done) introduce antifreeze in taps and pumps and pipes? I expect there must be a good reason for not putting antifreeze in a Paloma (it probably blows up).

I too am new to boating and this is my first winter. I have an old,small and simple narrow boat with a Paloma heater. I have drained the water tank and emptied the hot and cold taps and generally followed the really useful advice posted here and elsewhere on these forums. With the Paloma I have taken out the drain plug (nothing came out which I have on the very good authority of Paloma Bill means there is undoubtedly water still in there). Here comes the really stupid question (I have my coat at the ready): if you don't use your water for drinking (I use bottled water) is it feasible to put antifreeze in the water supply or (if you have drained the water as I have done) introduce antifreeze in taps and pumps and pipes? I expect there must be a good reason for not putting antifreeze in a Paloma (it probably blows up).

Keep the bucket underneath it and open up the hot tap at the sink - that seems to produce water from mine!

I'll do just that and give it a go! I think I'm also beginning to learn that you just have to relax about these things. Now I know about Paloma Bob, if my one packs up I'll get a reconditioned one off him. I'm also learning that you need to check everything at all times. I was merrily draining the tank via the kitchen (galley?) sink when I decided to stick my head in the cupboard under it and found a trickle seeping out that way too (sink plug not properly tightened). But to my credit I didn't rush around like Corporal Jones not panicking! :(