Lister ST2

Toddlesocks

Featured Posts

Sorry i meant ST2, doh

Yesterday while crusing the engine suddenly lost power in forward gear, it is still working in reverse but prop not going around in forward?

I checked nothing caught up in the prop.

We had just got her back from the marina who fitted a new lift pump and were on our way to winter mooring. We are nearer to it now than the marina so am hoping it may be something a non expert could fix ( like myself :o ) ?

Edited by Toddlesocks

Sorry i meant ST2, doh

Yesterday while crusing the engine suddenly lost power in forward gear, it is still working in reverse but prop not going around in forward?

We had just got her back from the marina who fitted a new lift pump and were on our way to winter mooring. We are nearer to it now than the marina so am hoping it may be something a non expert could fix ( like myself :o ) ?

Has it got the lister LH gearbox ?

Sorry i meant ST2, doh

LH150 hydraulics usually fail in forward gear, so I would be checking for the correct operation of gear change and throttle cables. This (with my SR3) could be done by careful observation whilst operating the controls.

They *may* have been inadvertently disturbed during the pump fitting :unsure:

PaulCatchpole may be along in a minute, with another view........

LH150 hydraulics usually fail in forward gear, so I would be checking for the correct operation of gear change and throttle cables. This (with my SR3) could be done by careful observation whilst operating the controls.

They *may* have been inadvertently disturbed during the pump fitting :unsure:

PaulCatchpole may be along in a minute, with another view........

Lister hydrau;ic and manual boxes are designed that if they fail they will stay in the ahead position to get you home

I will need to look tomorrow to see what gearbox it has.

As you may be able to tell me and mechanics usually do not mix , but am trying to learn as its been one thing after another all year with her. :0

Small brass plate on top of gearbox if LH150 and stamped as such.

Thank you for the help :)

I could not see a small brass plate.

It had a red one saying

'AFT ONLY

20 NM 5 lbft

And a small silver plate saying

Model No ZF 10 M A = 1.79

Serial No 39634 N 1.86

PIN 3304002004

It looks cable and not hydraulic

Thank you for the help :)

I could not see a small brass plate.

It had a red one saying

'AFT ONLY

20 NM 5 lbft

And a small silver plate saying

Model No ZF 10 M A = 1.79

Serial No 39634 N 1.86

PIN 3304002004

It looks cable and not hydraulic

The reference to hydraulic was to the 'internal' gear change, it's still operated externally by cable.

The references you have noted are for a ZF10M/Hurth HBW100 gearbox of which I know nowt, sorry, except that one has to use ATF transmission fluid.

I would still start by observation, an operating cable sheath may have come adrift, bu**ering up the settings. The cable should be attached to the tall post to the left and the operating lever is lower down in the photo (I only have this photo because our club sold one of these earlier in the year on eBay)

i2k94g.jpg

Thanks Dave i am not going to rush into anything , will try and get a tow to the mooring then see if i can fix her over winter

I did some googling and found the repair manual ( wasnt sure until you confirmed the model :))

http://www.freedomyachts.org/downloa...e890ce418c7d5a

Try manipulating that lever, bottom centre of the photo, into different positions (there can only be 3) with your foot/stick/shaft. you may be pleasantly surprised (fingers crossed) ie if it aint broke, don't fix it! (OK, you may have to do something with your cables, but a quick look should determine if you can get back under your own power.

As long as I have viewed the same manual (http://www.freedomyachts.org/download/file.php?id=341), if you look at page 11 of 68, you will see that that lever only moves though about 30 degrees back or forwards from a central position. Moved to the stern (position 'A') should give forwards drive and moved to the front for reverse (position 'B')

HOWEVER, the lever in my photo looks like it has been installed 'upside-down' no doubt to suit the boat it was in, in which case the operation in the paragraph above will be reversed.

Someone on here MUST have a ZF box that they can confirm the different operating positions.

Sorry i meant ST2, doh

It could be just an adjustment of the cable. Check the cable is travelling far enough to move lever into forward.

Or disconnect the cable and manually move the gearbox lever into forward - make sure you are well roped up.

Alex

I've got a HBW150 box, and yes I'd also say check out the cable first, might also be worth checking that selector lever is still tight on its shaft and not slipping.

Yes, position "A" & "B" as shown (but the lever can be orientated to suit the specific installation) ....

engine6.gif

(image from www.pearson35.com)

before you do all that, have you checked the level of transmission fluid??

My gearbox wouldn't turn the prop in forward tickover or just above, but was fine in reverse. I tried lots of adjustments to rods and nuts, and then had a flash of inspiration and checked the level, it was very low....... 1/4 of a litre in and it ran perfectly!!!!!

before you do all that, have you checked the level of transmission fluid??

My gearbox wouldn't turn the prop in forward tickover or just above, but was fine in reverse. I tried lots of adjustments to rods and nuts, and then had a flash of inspiration and checked the level, it was very low....... 1/4 of a litre in and it ran perfectly!!!!!

Ummm, the ZF10's recommended fill capacity is only 0.35 litre of ATF - need to be careful not to overfill. The OP could do well of course to check the level on the gearbox dipstick.

Edited by Graham!