Flashing Solar Lights- Right or Wrong

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi- We saw a beautiful boat over the weekend decked out in solar lights- some nice white ones added a nice glow- but some blue flashing ones just seemed to take over the sky. Forgive me if I'm boring but I love the canals, and the normal lack of light pollution- but these things just seemed to monopolise the scenery and you dont turn them off. What do you think???

They're great for people that are scared of the dark.

I hate them with a passion white, flashing blue, green, any of them.

One of the things I like about the towpath is the quiet and the dark and I object to morons with taste-amputation polluting my environment with their stupid little pound shop fairy lights marking out their patch like dog's urine.

• Greenie 2

Well said- glad you agree. We're new to boating and love the evenings out, but couldnt believe such a lovely boat could be decked in such tat. Do people deck their boats out at Christmas with lights and decorations- which I could understand more. I promise I will never buy any

Well said- glad you agree. We're new to boating and love the evenings out, but couldnt believe such a lovely boat could be decked in such tat. Do people deck their boats out at Christmas with lights and decorations- which I could understand more. I promise I will never buy any

were you out on the Soar?????

my blue ones don't flash btw, and they are all there attempting to win the best decorated boat at Rickmansworth festival (ages ago), where I was outdone by a bloody Rosie and Jim with popping balloons combination :lol:

I do not sport silly stick on rivets though.

Edited by matty40s

One of the things I like about the towpath is the quiet and the dark and I object to morons with taste-amputation polluting my environment with their stupid little pound shop fairy lights marking out their patch like dog's urine.

Then why not moor in the countryside away from other boats? How dare you call me a moron?

You seem to have a problem with solar power.

:)

...not at all, you seem to have a problem with reading.

I have a problem with the unnecessary lighting up of the dark of the countryside and the destruction of my night sight as I cycle and walk the towpath.

I don't give a monkey's toss how the electricity is generated, for all i care you can be sat inside with a bicycle generator, i will still dislike them and consider them an intrusion on my environment.

You seem to have a problem with solar power.

I think that solar to illuminate the boat entrances is useful for finding locks and footing and may prevent some of the ocasional deaths where folk end up in the cut and perishing.

The flashing is often merely a way of prolonging how long the stored energy lasts, annoying though it might be.

I am surprised that the flashing LED lights now fitted to bikes are legal as they are quite distracting. You can tell it's not a boat moving up the towpath by the speed though :wub:

Edited by blodger

You can tell it's not a boat moving up the towpath by the speed though :wub:

I always find attempts to move the boat up the tow-path unsuccessful though, anyway.

It seems to work better if I keep it a little to the side of that, so it can float in the water.

"I have a problem with the unnecessary lighting up of the dark of the countryside and the destruction of my night sight as I cycle and walk the towpath."

Poor thing!

I had never given these much thought before, but you make a very good point for them.

Edited by Djuwenda

I am surprised that the flashing LED lights now fitted to bikes are legal as they are quite distracting. You can tell it's not a boat moving up the towpath by the speed though :wub:

Actually I don't think they are -

Not that it makes a huge difference but they are AFAIK supposed to be affixed to the person not the bike in 'flashing' mode.

We don't always agree Chris - but on this I'm with you.

Intrusive and unnecessary.

The whole appeal of mooring out in the sticks is the blackness of the night, if you can't find your boat use a ruddy torch....

Edited by MJG

...not at all, you seem to have a problem with reading.

I have a problem with the unnecessary lighting up of the dark of the countryside and the destruction of my night sight as I cycle and walk the towpath.

I don't give a monkey's toss how the electricity is generated, for all i care you can be sat inside with a bicycle generator, i will still dislike them and consider them an intrusion on my environment.

Oh, I got the impression from another thread you were against solar power.

Flashing lights on/near the towpath?

Why???????

I can understand a small, low brightness light that comes on at dusk as a marker. This helps when you hadn't planned to be out so late and now find its too dark...

But flashing lights - WHY????????

Flashing lights on/near the towpath?

Why???????

I can understand a small, low brightness light that comes on at dusk as a marker. This helps when you hadn't planned to be out so late and now find its too dark...

But flashing lights - WHY????????

I think it is just because that's how they come/are sold so as to cut down batt requirements and, because that's what some people want, presumably. B)

"I have a problem with the unnecessary lighting up of the dark of the countryside and the destruction of my night sight as I cycle and walk the towpath."

Poor thing!

I had never given these much thought before, but you make a very good point for them.

What point? Solely to annoy people?

Get a life.

I have some luvly pink flashing pansies on my boat. This is so everybody can look at me to see how pretty I am.

Ok, let's be serious. They are not pink and they are not pansies and they are on a bush on our mooring in the marina. Gives me a clue which one is our boat when coming bac k late from the Temperance Hall.

They also provide aittle light to stop me falling in