Kings Bomley Marina

Humphrey

Featured Posts

Staff are good.

It can be "interesting" getting in/out of the second pool if its windy, and water is b**** cold in November if you decide to go for an involuntary swim.

Good thing is there is no hire fleet, so I think you get a more personal approach "in the season" than you do at some places with a big hire fleet.

We stayed there recently on a 2 nights free voucher. Sue who looks after it was really helpful and normally I would say worth staying there just for her. However the owners charging regime is a little money grabbing

70p for a shower, higher mooring fee if you liveaboard, higher mooring fee if you have a cassette loo.

No local pub or shops or public transport.

For us, we enjoyed our stay of three nights there because of Sue's great service but BWML at Sawley is cheaper, nearer to public transport (bus stop just outside gate) does not charge for showers, has an on site chandlery with basic groceries, a small bar / restaurant in site with crystal clear water.

We were there about 4 years ago and were pleased to leave. The staff at the time were officious and they had lots of petty rules. Also getting through the bridge between the two halves of the marina was a nightmare. It was made far too small so to prevent damage they put poles sticking up out of the water to guide you, but these forced you so close to the shore maneuvering was tricky. Another gripe was the requirement to back onto the diesel pontoon not easy Oh and they close Mondays. Despite numerous promises the roads were never surfaced properly.

Regards

TC

Good thing is there is no hire fleet, so I think you get a more personal approach "in the season" than you do at some places with a big hire fleet.

Not sure that makes a difference at all.

Mercia has 2 hire fleets based with them (one larger than the other) and they are run as independent businesses and do not interfere with the moorers there.

I am there now after mooring at Mercia for a year.

Its nice and quiet, easy to get your car near, if you have one. Has a pump out which is manned (not on a timer which is good) and diesel and limited bits n pieces. Power, water etc.

Not too many buildings and the back of the marina is ok, but the wind can make it a bugger. Having said that we have not had a problem yet.

Lovely for access to many routes.

There is a small hire fleet, cannot remember the name but they do not cause any issues so far as I am aware

We like it! and it must be popular as it is near full.

We were there about 4 years ago and were pleased to leave. The staff at the time were officious and they had lots of petty rules. Also getting through the bridge between the two halves of the marina was a nightmare. It was made far too small so to prevent damage they put poles sticking up out of the water to guide you, but these forced you so close to the shore maneuvering was tricky. Another gripe was the requirement to back onto the diesel pontoon not easy Oh and they close Mondays. Despite numerous promises the roads were never surfaced properly.

Regards

TC

Well everyone has there own opinion, but ---- there is brand new management now, but Pat & Daryl, who I have known for years were very good.

I have never had problems getting through the bridge with my 63 ft boat.

If we need to use the quay we avoid going out/in on a Monday & get fuel on the way out, so no turning round.

The roads are not tarmaced but are maintained in a reasonable state.

In my opinion, a good quiet marina, secure & without the pub / cafe etc which brings the visitors in.

• 2 years later...

As usual,it depends if your face and boat "fit"...Kings Bromley have the rudest,ignorant staff I have met on the cut..Petty rules and poor ,inadequate and expensive facilities...Busy body and vindictive moorers. I know of someone that was constantly having their car tyres slashed! .Very friendly!!!...They will be nice as pie when taking your money but be warned they wont refund you a penny..Go to Alvecote,its basic,but cheap and friendly.

As usual,it depends if your face and boat "fit"...Kings Bromley have the rudest,ignorant staff I have met on the cut..Petty rules and poor ,inadequate and expensive facilities...Busy body and vindictive moorers. I know of someone that was constantly having their car tyres slashed! .Very friendly!!!...They will be nice as pie when taking your money but be warned they wont refund you a penny..Go to Alvecote,its basic,but cheap and friendly.

Ouch! Someone has an axe to grind!

I was there for 3 years until 2 years ago - they are fine. I was in alvecote about 3 years before that for 3 years they were ok but the owner malcolm was a disaster and has now given up his share.

Both have problems of access but thats par for the course.

The fellow boaters were fine too.

Ken nb sixpence

I don't know why but I always get an uncomfortable feeling when a person comes on the forum with their first ever post and slags off some one or something, and appears to have joined purely for that reason. Also their post was at 4:15 today having joined at 3:54 when the thread was started in 2011. The post prior to Leveller's one was 10 October 2011.

PS There is always two sides to every story.

Edited by Ray T