Narrowboat Doors

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Question after question I know.....but.... Our NB has just steel doors on the front at the minute, and they're a bit dark.... I don't want to put windows in them, but have the whole unit changed for a hardwood glazed set of doors with a yale lock too.

Does anyone know where I could get this done asap? Im in the Manchester area at the moment. Im sick of going to boat builders and being told I'm looking at may/june next year before even having a wall in, door made or some cupboards!! Would it be better to contact a glazing company do you think?

Question after question I know.....but.... Our NB has just steel doors on the front at the minute, and they're a bit dark.... I don't want to put windows in them, but have the whole unit changed for a hardwood glazed set of doors with a yale lock too.

Does anyone know where I could get this done asap? Im in the Manchester area at the moment. Im sick of going to boat builders and being told I'm looking at may/june next year before even having a wall in, door made or some cupboards!! Would it be better to contact a glazing company do you think?

I am a carpenter joiner but not in your area but hopefully next year I will be in a position to do this type of work from my own boat/ base.Will post up when I am available

Do you travel?! LOL

What sort of price would you charge for them?

If you want them made from Red Hardwood, sit down befoere you ask that question. I recently costed out the timber for a pair for our boat and even at trade prices, I was a bit shocked.

Do you travel?! LOL

What sort of price would you charge for them?

At the moment am finishing a house refurb, and need to get on the cut. Would be best to discuss on chat but as new member not allowed on at moment

Custom made glazed doors in any sort of wood are not going to be cheap.

There are other issues to consider too. First, security. Your steel doors are very secure. Wooden ones could be crowbarred, glass broken.

Second, dissimilar materials.. Your wooden doors and steel surround will expand end contract at different rates. Wood will also be affected by a damp atmosphere. The doors will likely stick in winter and rattle in summer.

Have you considered keeping the steel doors but getting a perspex panel to keep the rain/wind out when you're on board?

Two methods may solve your problem - Hardwood doors with glazing (about 300 pounds plus the cost of fitting)

- Cut a window hole through the existing steel doors and add a timber lining door 22mm thick to the inner face. (About 200 pounds plus steel cutting & fitting charges)

In both instances laminated glass is required.Hardwood doors would look great but make a maintenance job each year if you don't have a front cover or cratch.

Mike.

WW had a piece on door making in March & April issues (downloadable from the website if you are into DIY)

Edited by Mike Jordan

The perspex suggestion of Chertsey's is a good plan.

A whole sheet slid down slots from above or double hinged doors.

But to be honest with just ordinary DIY skills the existing steel doors could be converted.It doesn't need cabinet makers skills to do the following.

Take interior wood trim off,cut out rectangular window holes with jigsaw or angle grinder with metal cutting disc.You will cut straighter with an angle grinder.

Stick laminated glass with glazing silicon overlapping by about an inch on inside face. Adapt inside panels a little to fit over the 4mm or so of glass put panel back.

For the outside face,saw thin plywood sheet to the size of the doors,cut out window apertures,stick panels on steel door faces with Gripfill or No nails.Now get from any of the DIY places lengths of moulding,this comes in all widths and patterns,hardwood,usually Ramin. Buy a cheap Mitre-saw,and spend a pleasant hour or two planning and cutting with mitre saw,nice moulding surround,panel work ect.Stick onto ply panels using exterior PVA wood glue.Varnish,paint,Danish oil to finish,stand back and admire. All for i'd say less than £100.bizzard.

PS.A surform is handy for shaping edges of ply and a couple of sharp chisels for odd relieving for locks,hinges ect.

Edited by bizzard

I have to wonder if some people understand how complex it actually is to make a pair of narrow matched custom doors, that will withstand all weathers. Even using modern materials and fixing methods, which I personally would prefer not to do, I doubt whether you would get a decent wooden pair made for much under £600.

I cannot comment on steel doors as that is outside my experience (or competence)

But to be honest with just ordinary DIY skills the existing steel doors could be converted.It doesn't need cabinet makers skills to do the following.

Take interior wood trim off,cut out rectangular window holes with jigsaw or angle grinder with metal cutting disc.You will cut straighter with an angle grinder.

Stick laminated glass with glazing silicon overlapping by about an inch on inside face. Adapt inside panels a little to fit over the 4mm or so of glass put panel back.

For the outside face,saw thin plywood sheet to the size of the doors,cut out window apertures,stick panels on steel door faces with Gripfill or No nails.Now get from any of the DIY places lengths of moulding,this comes in all widths and patterns,hardwood,usually Ramin. Buy a cheap Mitre-saw,and spend a pleasant hour or two planning and cutting with mitre saw,nice moulding surround,panel work ect.Stick onto ply panels using exterior PVA wood glue.Varnish,paint,Danish oil to finish,stand back and admire. All for i'd say less than £100.bizzard.

PS.A surform is handy for shaping edges of ply and a couple of sharp chisels for odd relieving for locks,hinges ect.

Steel doors with double glazed units.

Alex

DSCF2137.jpg

Steel doors with double glazed units.

Alex

DSCF2137.jpg

Thats it superb,and i bet if you did it yourself it didn't cost silly money.

I called in some favours - it cost me the price of the glass, so not alot.

Favours for favours can save you a fortune, if you know the right people and they owe yourolleyes.gif

Alex

Thats not bad Laurie'Booth - who did them?

I was also looking at these to put in my existing steel doors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-DOOR-WINDOW-/320767389101?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item4aaf39edad#ht_500wt_949

Would be a bit nervous cutting through myself though incase i eff it up! What tool would I need??? I have a jigsaw at the mo, and drill etc. is there special blades for a jigsaw for cutting through steel?

I was also looking at these to put in my existing steel doors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-DOOR-WINDOW-/320767389101?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item4aaf39edad#ht_500wt_949

Would be a bit nervous cutting through myself though incase i eff it up! What tool would I need??? I have a jigsaw at the mo, and drill etc. is there special blades for a jigsaw for cutting through steel?

Angle grinder with metal cutting disc along the waste side of the line and the short bits into the corners with jigsaw.

Angle grinder with metal cutting disc along the waste side of the line and the short bits into the corners with jigsaw.

I was also looking at these to put in my existing steel doors: http://www.ebay.co.u...ad#ht_500wt_949

A jig saw with a metal blade will do it - but slowly, a 4" angle grinder with a cutting disc My link would be better, just mark it out and take your time.

Alex

I am a carpenter joiner but not in your area but hopefully next year I will be in a position to do this type of work from my own boat/ base.Will post up when I am available

It should be really interesting to hear how you get on with power tools onboard. Please keep us posted.

If your steel doors fit properly, then I think you're probably better off working with what you've got rather than ripping them out - and it would be cheaper too. If you're not sure about cutting the window apertures out of the steel yourself then perhaps you could pay someone to do it based on those glazed units and them fit them yourself.

Edited by blackrose

Think thats a wise idea black rose. Im thinking that probably what Im going to do. To be honest it is more the light and view im after really.

I think the wind/rain was just bad because we were moored directly head on to the wind and its been terrible here at the moment. Last night we woke up about 4am and the boat sounded like it was literally being blown apart - was exciting (and terrifying!)

Thanks all for your help