Wide vs. narrow waterways

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Is there some list or even better, map somwehere of what waterways are suitable for narrow beam boats only and which are ok for wider ones

I am coming across a lot of broads cruiser type boats for sale that I like the look of but I am trying to work out how limited I would be with one of those in where I could base it and where I could get to and from.

Many thanks!

Is there some list or even better, map somwehere of what waterways are suitable for narrow beam boats only and which are ok for wider ones

I am coming across a lot of broads cruiser type boats for sale that I like the look of but I am trying to work out how limited I would be with one of those in where I could base it and where I could get to and from.

Many thanks!

Have a look at this map on Jim Shead's site:

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

Stewey

As are the 20ft wide locks on the river Nene and the 3'6" depth on the Middle Level!

MP.

The locks on the nene are only 15ft wide, Anything with a draft deeper than 2' 6" has to go backwards through Stanground if locking down.

Firesprite

On the Wet and Windy Fens

Many thanks!

You need to think about air draught as well though, (I mean height above water). I met a chap recently who had picked up a wooden ex thames cruiser very cheap, and it looked lovely too. Unfortunately he was heading west on the leeds liverpool and wasn't sure he could get through Foulridge tunnel which has a clearance of around 8'. I don't know if he made it but he was prepared to remove the roof section if necessary. I don't know what line of work he was in but he seemed quite confident of his ability to do it. Quite a few of the old broads cruisers are very appealing and represent terrific value for money but a lot of them are too high for practical canal cruising often because at some time a permanent wheelhouse/cabin has been fitted. I looked at one a couple of years ago that had originally had a canvas cover and I thought it wouldn't be much of a job to reinstate it but like the guy with the thames cruiser you have to be confident of you abilities if you take on a project boat.

BTW have you looked at a Nauticus 27? They are narrow beam grp cruisers but a cut above the dawncraft/viking/norman types (in my opinion). Very versatile boats but seem to be unloved at the moment, possibly because they employ an "outdrive" between the engine and prop as opposed to the more common outboard or shaft drive systems . I've seen quite a few where I live which have really stuck on the market and I reckon you could find a decent example within your budget. Owners do seem to have an unrealistic idea of what these boats are worth at the moment.

If others have offered this advice I apologise for repeating it but you really do need to get out and about and look at boats - looking on the internet gives a very distorted impression of the state of used boats. Also try and do your viewing on a wet day. The worse the weather the better. Don't make a decision based on seeing a boat in lovely sunny still weather. Apart from damping down your enthusiasm you will be surprised how many boats let rain water in.

Thank you! Interesting point on viewing in the rain!

At the end of this month I am going to go and pitch up with some friends who live facing the canal in Nantwich and go around the yards etc.

I found a Nauticus 27 for sale just yesterday actually and have asked for some more info.

Edited by Starcoaster