anchor

ratrider

Featured Posts

There is a sequence of Leo No. 2 going submarine - click here. Click on the right of the image and it takes you to the next image almost like a jerky movie. The wonderful photo for me is as Leo shakes off the water! Leo's owner, Kathryn, says that she checked her well deck and gas locker afterwards, both were dry. She has a very nice looking boat (and really knows how to drive it).

There is a sequence of Leo No. 2 going submarine - click here. Click on the right of the image and it takes you to the next image almost like a jerky movie. The wonderful photo for me is as Leo shakes off the water! Leo's owner, Kathryn, says that she checked her well deck and gas locker afterwards, both were dry. She has a very nice looking boat (and really knows how to drive it).

If you click through quickly it's an animation! Great!

Not weigh

way

Weighing anchor,raising it,and moving= under weigh and then, when under under-weigh proper might become underway,but i think its still underweigh when underway although it might be underway and not underweigh. :cheers:

It's all worth thinking about. I reckon it might be wise to add a primary stud or large eyebolt near the T stud which the anchor rope is attached to or goes through before going on to the T stud.

http://www.s3i.co.uk/EyeBolt.php

If the snatch of the anchor biting is enough to snap the eyebolt then that would absorb some of the stress and hopefully the T stud would survive. Or perhaps it should be the other way around and the T stud should be the sacrificial part.

Mine has a dedicated attachment point, a hawse pipe and an anchor windlass.

I see what you mean to some extent, but weren't narrowboats also designed to go on rivers?

I thought yours was a wide beam, and clearly was designed to have an anchor as you set out. This does not apply to most narrowboats.

Some narrow boats were supposedly more suited to rivers than others but they're still basically the same shape, just with more freeboard.

It will be very interesting to see an answer to Alan's question as to whether they carried an anchor on the river though. My guess would be that they didn't - I can't recall any photos suggesting this.

If anchors snatched as sharply as some people here are claiming, a lot of sailing yachts would be lying on the bottom.

There are two main ways to attach an anchor to the boat. One involves chain, the other rope.

The weight of chain produces a pronounced curve called a catenary which acts as a spring when it comes under tension. This is all the cushioning that is required when using chain.

If using rope, it is is vital to use a stretchy material such as nylon. Think of a mountaineer falling into a crevasse with a rope around his middle. If it didn't stretch, he'd be cut in two. Therefore, climbers, like anchors, need nylon (or something with similar properties).

I've just dug out an article (in volume 4 of Waterways Journal) by David Blagrove called 'Narrow Boats on the Thames'. I've only skimmed it so far but there are lots of photos, none of which shows any sign that I can see of any anchor or associated paraphernalia.

The sequence also shows a bit of a lack of preparation in that not only is the cratch cover still open but I think the front doors are open as well. A heavier pitch might well have flooded the boat!

Howard

If anchors snatched as sharply as some people here are claiming, a lot of sailing yachts would be lying on the bottom.

There are two main ways to attach an anchor to the boat. One involves chain, the other rope.

The weight of chain produces a pronounced curve called a catenary which acts as a spring when it comes under tension. This is all the cushioning that is required when using chain.

If using rope, it is is vital to use a stretchy material such as nylon. Think of a mountaineer falling into a crevasse with a rope around his middle. If it didn't stretch, he'd be cut in two. Therefore, climbers, like anchors, need nylon (or something with similar properties).

That's it Sebrof,.

Perhaps they'll listen to you. Catenary, Strange you weren't pulled up by that bloke for a spelling mistake though.

When i post something serious few people take notice.I suppose i've stuck too much nonsense on here for folk to take me seriously anymore. bizzard.

That's it Sebrof,.

Perhaps they'll listen to you. Catenary, Strange you weren't pulled up by that bloke for a spelling mistake though.

When i post something serious few people take notice.I suppose i've stuck too much nonsense on here for folk to take me seriously anymore. bizzard.

Actually, I was going to say something along the lines that I found both Bizzard and Sebrof a bit of a pain when they first started posting but it's been a pleasure to read contributions on this thread from people who know what they're talking about, i.e. you two.

I know that sounds patronising and I'm sorry but I'm going to say it anyway.

I don't know about others, but when I ask a question I really only want to hear from people who actually know more about the subject than me. Speculation and guesswork I can do for myself.

Actually, I was going to say something along the lines that I found both Bizzard and Sebrof a bit of a pain when they first started posting but it's been a pleasure to read contributions on this thread from people who know what they're talking about, i.e. you two.

I don't know about others, but when I ask a question I really only want to hear from people who actually know more about the subject than me. Speculation and guesswork I can do for myself.

Thank you Chertsey for your kind observation.,

This being a discussion forum we have to take what comes.

Any serious posts that i make about a particular topic,i can assure you i've had hands on experience,of a working life of all things practical and still am.And all my posts are straight off the back of my head, spontaneous,i don't Google my answers or sit here quoting from manuals before replying,like i'm sure many on here do, all the time,you can tell by the delay of their replies.which is why i sometimes miss a point ect.

However my nonsense stuff i make obvious,for fear of anyone taking it literally. Kind regards Bizzard. :cheers:

If using rope, it is is vital to use a stretchy material such as nylon.

But surely when anchoring at sea the boat is stopped before before the anchor is deployed. Therefore the sag (catenary) of the chain give plenty of cushioning. One of the principle reasons for having an anchor on a river is incase of emergency where the anchor is required to stop the boat against a flow. This is why those on the inland waterways are advised to have a rope and chain combination. The chain closest to the anchor to provide weight and hold it closer to the river bed and the rope to provide some give when deployed.

Think of a mountaineer falling into a crevasse with a rope around his middle. If it didn't stretch, he'd be cut in two.

Mountaineers and climbers don't tie a rope around their middle for that very reason. They wear a harness.

Edited by Speedwheel

But surely when anchoring at sea the boat is stopped before before the anchor is deployed. Therefore the sag (catenary) of the chain give plenty of cushioning. One of the principle reasons for having an anchor on a river is incase of emergency where the anchor is required to stop the boat against a flow. This is why those on inland waterways are advised to have a rope and chain combination. The chain closest to the anchor to provide weight and hold it closer to the river bed and the rope to provide some give when deployed.

You cant really "stop" a boat at sea. The boat will drift with the current/tide much the same as it will in the flow of a river. To set the anchor successfully you should gently reverse off it whilst deploying it, not just let it all out and hope for the best. You will feel when the anchor has set as the bow will gently dip. For those of us lucky enough to have an anchor alarm that takes the worry out of dragging the hook, you set it to warn you if your boat strays out of a given circle (which is set to allow for the swing of the boat around the anchor). The real test of course is if your anchor holds when the tide turns. If it holds through a tide cycle chances are it aint going anywhere in a hurry.

We have yet to be in the situation where we have had to deploy the anhor and hope it stops, on all of the occassions we have deployed it we have still had the engine running so have been able to reverse off the anchor to set it. We dont have the choice of where we deploy our anchor from it is from the bow where the anchor lives in its recess, however i suspect that it would stop the boat pretty quickly if used in an emergency. A 10kg anchor and 40m of chain is in all fairness overkill for a 25ft yoghurt pot, but it works well for us :D

Yes but is there anybody contributing to this thread who has actually deployed an anchor from a narrowboat in anger as in on a fast flowing river with no propulsion - there seems to be lots of 'theory' but no actual experience...

Yes but is there anybody contributing to this thread who has actually deployed an anchor from a narrowboat in anger as in on a fast flowing river with no propulsion - there seems to be lots of 'theory' but no actual experience...

Someone who's used an anchor at all is an advance on guesswork.

So we need someone to go out on a river, urn off their engine and then sling their hook. Any takers?

Correct - but only on a fast flowing one with the imminent prospect of being swept over a weir or slammed into a bridge parapet..

I'm not volunteering..

PS - working late??

Correct - but only on a fast flowing one with the imminent prospect of being swept over a weir or slammed into a bridge parapet..

I'm not volunteering..

PS - working late??

No waiting for my lift home. OH has the car and as usual he cant manage to get here on time :angry: