anchor

ratrider

Featured Posts

Agreed.

But you can also make a judgement call based on your experience with river navigation and knowledge of the river concerned.

Anyone who has been on the non tidal Thames this Summer can tell you that there has been negligible flow. When we came up last month the wind would have blown you on to a weir faster than any stream would have taken you.

On many river cruisers or a semi off shore boat like yours, the storage and deployment system for an anchor is built in. On a NB, the storage of an anchor, chain and rope is usually a make do affair. Often (as far as I'm concerned) there's more risk to a crew member of tripping over the anchor/chain or getting tangled up in the rope going in/out of locks than the risk of engine failure or getting something wrapped around the prop when near a weir.

Even if it wasn't mandatory, I'd never go out on the tidal Thames without an anchor.

I do a lot of cruising on the non tidal Thames. I never have the anchor ready for immediate use. If I ever felt conditions warranted the anchor, I shouldn't be cruising in those conditions.

The above counts for the Thames. It's the river that I know.

I also appreciate that other rivers (the Severn, Trent etc) are very different and if I were out on them in strong stream conditions I would probably have an anchor available. Some of those unprotected spill-over weirs are scary!

Whether a river is tidal or not, an engine breakdown can happen and on a river with flow (even a gentle one) and with weirs it is unlikely that any judgement call or previous experience can help in that situation. Rather than stow the anchor because it is an inconvenience a few moments thought might help in finding a way that allows you to have the anchor and chain/rope ready while not obstructing the crew.

Howard

Edited by howardang

I do a lot of cruising on the non tidal Thames. I never have the anchor ready for immediate use. If I ever felt conditions warranted the anchor, I shouldn't be cruising in those conditions.

An engine failure can happen at any time, and constitutes a condition warranting the use of an anchor.

I don't think that is correct.

I'd not travel without one, but I don't think it is compulsory, even on the tidal part.

I went down through Limehouse in July and the lock keeper there checked that we had an anchor and a VHF radio before letting us out onto the Thames.

Nick

I don't think that is correct.

I'd not travel without one, but I don't think it is compulsory, even on the tidal part.

I went down through Limehouse in July and the lock keeper there checked that we had an anchor and a VHF radio before letting us out onto the Thames.

Nick

Yes - we have already covered that in previous posts.

Hopefully I'm never too proud to admit it when I get something wrong!

Here.....

Yes - PLA Bye-laws, Part 3, section 13 makes it compulsory to carry one or more anchors and to have it (them) ready for immediate use.

and here.....

Thanks Howard,

I didn't actually know that, and stand corrected.

You can still get into trouble pretty quickly on a non tidal river if you dont have your anchor ready to deploy. It wouldnt take long for the flow to drag a boat with a failed engine over a weir for example.

Phylis shooting from the hip again, I reckon... ;)

The chances of narrowboat going over weir on the non-tidal Thames are virtually zero, anchor or not.

All the Thames weirs are protected upstream by huge steel cable barriers with enormous floats strung on them between rows of enormous timber pilings. I'd defy any boat bigger than a canoe to get past these barriers and onto a weir.

These are necessary to keep all the ratted hooray Henrys in their ridiculous wedding cake cruiser monstrosities serving all over the place at 14 knots off the weirs mainly, in my personal opinion. I don't think the narrowboats present much of a problem.

The chances of narrowboat going over weir on the non-tidal Thames are virtually zero, anchor or not.

All the Thames weirs are protected upstream by huge steel cable barriers with enormous floats strung on them between rows of enormous timber pilings. I'd defy any boat bigger than a canoe to get past these barriers and onto a weir.

It is a major job to pull a boat off these barriers and cables can break. It will not be the insurers footing

bill if it is found that you broken the basic rules but you, plus the fines and possible prison time if some

one is killed due to your actions.

Beware the MCA Accident investigation branch.

Firesprite

In the Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

The chances of it crashing into one of those elegant and tastefully-appointed craft that you wax so lyrically about are however quite high. The cost of repair might well amount to a few year's income for a person who makes his living delivering boats.

The well known last words.

Firesprite

Back in the Fens

It is not unknown for Tony's tongue to be lodged firmly in his cheek.

Indeed, I suspect he subscribes to the theories of Charles Darwin, notably that relating to the survival of the fittest. He might also believe, as I do, that the planet is over-populated, and if governments do nothing then it is the duty of the citizen to promote depopulation, by one means or another.

I may, of course, be entirely wrong.

These are necessary to keep all the ratted hooray Henrys in their ridiculous wedding cake cruiser monstrosities serving all over the place at 14 knots off the weirs mainly, in my personal opinion. I don't think the narrowboats present much of a problem.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41246&pid=749293&st=0entry749293

The chances of it crashing into one of those elegant and tastefully-appointed craft that you wax so lyrically about are however quite high. The cost of repair might well amount to a few year's income for a person who makes his living delivering boats.

Agreed.

But Phylis was asserting that a NB suffering a breakdown on the Thames was likely to be 'dragged over a weir'. I still contend on the Thames specifically, that is highly UNlikely bordering on impossible.

Hitting a bridge or another boat hard is a definite risk.

Where did delivering boats for a living crop up?

Serious comment - being a single hander most of the time, and seeing a lot of NB have their anchors "mounted" near the bow, doesn't this present a problem if one has to drop anchor in a rush, as one has to get the length of the boat, find the anchor and "chuck it overboard" - hopefully both you and the anchor still attached to the boat...

Serious comment - being a single hander most of the time, and seeing a lot of NB have their anchors "mounted" near the bow, doesn't this present a problem if one has to drop anchor in a rush, as one has to get the length of the boat, find the anchor and "chuck it overboard" - hopefully both you and the anchor still attached to the boat...

I would say yes, but there other things to take into account as well: presumably we are talking about rivers here since anchors I believe are not used on canals. If the river is too narrow for the boat to turn and it is heading downstream then having the anchor attached to the bow would not be a good idea, but having it attached to the rear might also might not be good should the river flow be such that water enters the engine compartment (depends upon boat of course). Some people have the anchor stored at the stern and a rope leading forward to the bow, others are happy to have it attached to the stern.

Personally I think that it depends upon the situation and that an anchor that can be deployed from the stern with attachment to either the bow or stern depending upon direction of travel etc might be best? Certainly having the anchor at the far end of the boat when single-handing does not make sense to me!

I would be interested in other's views on this though.

John

Agreed.

But Phylis was asserting that a NB suffering a breakdown on the Thames was likely to be 'dragged over a weir'. I still contend on the Thames specifically, that is highly UNlikely bordering on impossible.

Being "dragged" over a weir may not be the only reason for an anchor and I was careful not to say so in my previous posting. However, it would be potentially just as serious if an out of control boat was stuck across a bridge, a weir boom or such. Apart from the potential danger to the crew the costs involved in recovery of the boat could be substantial and because the boat is not properly equipped any insurance payout will most probably be declined. Others have also mentioned the possibly of collision with other craft in the river. I really cannot understand the attitude that says "it won't happen to me because I am experienced".History is full of silly statements like that - just before the accident! It would be interesting to hear that argument being raised in an MAIB enquiry.

Howard

I would say yes, but there other things to take into account as well: presumably we are talking about rivers here since anchors I believe are not used on canals. If the river is too narrow for the boat to turn and it is heading downstream then having the anchor attached to the bow would not be a good idea, but having it attached to the rear might also might not be good should the river flow be such that water enters the engine compartment (depends upon boat of course). Some people have the anchor stored at the stern and a rope leading forward to the bow, others are happy to have it attached to the stern.

Personally I think that it depends upon the situation and that an anchor that can be deployed from the stern with attachment to either the bow or stern depending upon direction of travel etc might be best? Certainly having the anchor at the far end of the boat when single-handing does not make sense to me!

I would be interested in other's views on this though.

John

If you do have it at the front make sure you have a clear way to scoot through the boat to deploy it. Then is not the time to find out your front cabin doors are locked...

Agreed.

Well, I know what Phylis said, but the thread is about having an anchor (or not).

The OP is apparently moving this boat for somebody else, so I assumed that is how he makes, or supplements, his income.

Agreed.

If you would care to read the post again it makes absolutely no reference to the Thames at all. It was a general observation about rivers in gerenral. There are many unguarded weirs around the system.

Being "dragged" over a weir may not be the only reason for an anchor and I was careful not to say so in my previous posting. However, it would be potentially just as serious if an out of control boat was stuck across a bridge, a weir boom or such. Apart from the potential danger to the crew the costs involved in recovery of the boat could be substantial and because the boat is not properly equipped any insurance payout will most probably be declined. Others have also mentioned the possibly of collision with other craft in the river. I really cannot understand the attitude that says "it won't happen to me because I am experienced".History is full of silly statements like that - just before the accident! It would be interesting to hear that argument being raised in an MAIB enquiry.

Howard

Agreed.

If you do have it at the front make sure you have a clear way to scoot through the boat to deploy it. Then is not the time to find out your front cabin doors are locked...

We've been down this road too, in the past...

If your engine has stopped, and you're being dragged towards a bridge/weir/anything else dangerous do you really want to get inside the boat? I know I wouldn't.

Tony

We've been down this road too, in the past...

If your engine has stopped, and you're being dragged towards a bridge/weir/anything else dangerous do you really want to get inside the boat? I know I wouldn't.

Tony

If your boat was being dragged towards a bridge abutment would you really want to be stood on the counter either?