New Lock

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Staveley Town lock on the Chesterfield Canal.

We went for a look on Sunday and noticed that ground-paddle culverts had been started. We were then told WRG London had been for the weekend. We also noticed that the wing-wall outside the basin was almost finished. Now for the workshops, cottages and moorers.

Well done CCT volunteers, various WRGs and Geraint Cole - the canal partnership development officer for pulling it all together.

So 500 metres of canal and a new big basin in a couple of weeks. Wheeee......

Staveley Town lock on the Chesterfield Canal.

We went for a look on Sunday and noticed that ground-paddle culverts had been started. We were then told WRG London had been for the weekend. We also noticed that the wing-wall outside the basin was almost finished. Now for the workshops, cottages and moorers.

Well done CCT volunteers, various WRGs and Geraint Cole - the canal partnership development officer for pulling it all together.

So 500 metres of canal and a new big basin in a couple of weeks. Wheeee......

Impressive transformation...

staveley-basin-site.jpg

What's the 'arch' at the far end going to be? First (silly) thought was guilletine gate but now thinking a footbridge or road bridge? Foreshortening of photo makes it difficult to determine the depth of the 'arch'.

Just curious.

I would say the same ie footbridge to cross the bottom of the lock. Sides will be built up to it I reckon.

I can't see the point of putting a guillotine gate at that end.

I would say the same ie footbridge to cross the bottom of the lock. Sides will be built up to it I reckon.

I can't see the point of putting a guillotine gate at that end.

Yes, seems most likely. I would have thought just slapping a couple of steel or concrete beams across the finished lock walls would be cheaper/easier, but I'm not a civil engineer.

Also, it looks offset to the left of the lock centre to me...

Yes, seems most likely. I would have thought just slapping a couple of steel or concrete beams across the finished lock walls would be cheaper/easier, but I'm not a civil engineer.

Also, it looks offset to the left of the lock centre to me...

Yes looking at it I agree - though not sure why it should be so...

Towpath

Good to see new/restored bits of the canal network taking shape, albeit slowly... though not as slowly as the Montgomery restoration, which seems to be snailing along at about 100 yards a year!

I guess the towpath is one way or another the cause for the bridge's position.

Edited by Proud Salopian

Curiosity fully sated - Clicky- road bridge over, towpath under.

That's a gret link thanks-

Oh and the photo of lock entrance is captioned -

The view through the entrance to the lock. The slots are for the stop planks.

The bridge appears asymmetrical because the towpath will be on the left.

Glad to see they have speeded up then.

The restoration of the Montgomery is an enigma, because it proceeds slowly, and unlike many of the other big restorations it never stepped up a gear.

That said, proceed it does.

By my reckoning, there is just over half a mile from Redwith Bridge (in water but not currently navigable) to Crickheath Wharf, which is the next major milestone, because reaching Crickheath Wharf means more of the canal can open to boats.

Last time I looked (earlier this year), I reckoned that with a good bit of effort the next length (to bridge 84) should be ready for rewatering by 2012, which would leave around 700 yards to go.

Getting to Crickheath Wharf isn't a problem. It's between there and Llanymynech that is - a couple of missing bridges (eg the dropped Schoolhouse Bridge) and I think a few houses in the way (in Pant).

When the section from Redwith to Crickheath is filled with water then there will be another mile of canal able to open (Gronwyn Wharf to Crickheath Wharf). But that's it. I can't see it going further than Crickheath anytime soon, certainly not before 2020!!

Would be good to see water in the section to Pryce's Bridge (no 84) in 2012, but that could even be optimistic!

It's annoying because we're talking about really short distances, no locks, etc. Redwith to Crickheath is only half a mile. Yet it's taken years and years to get it in water (still not there yet of course).

Edited by Proud Salopian

will add on quite abit more water when the marina an new lock are done.

then just to get round the tunnel.

some great work going on, well done to all involved.

anyone wanting to check out this side of the chesterfield pm me, or pop to tapton lock on a sunday.