New Lock

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Getting to Crickheath Wharf isn't a problem. It's between there and Llanymynech that is - a couple of missing bridges (eg the dropped Schoolhouse Bridge) and I think a few houses in the way (in Pant).

I know it isn't the difficult bit, but it will mark a milestone, and will bring renewed interest.

We've been to Gronwyn bridge a few times now, and although we love the canal we'll probably not go back for a couple of years. Opening up a new section will get lots of boaters wanting to try the new bit, and give the society a new impetus to sell its vision for the next stage.

Redwith Bridge was missing, so dropped bridges aren't insurmountable, they just need funds!

I think they were very lucky getting Redwith Bridge! It's going to be tough getting past/through Pant, without proper financial/political support from Shropshire Council and other public bodies.

I wouldn't disagree.

IIRC, NWDA paid for [a large chunk of] Redwith Bridge?

I suspect that there will be a hiatus as they wait for something similar to spring from the ashes in years to come.

The lack of a clear way forward immediately doesn't mean that one won't appear in a couple of years.

What's the 'arch' at the far end going to be? First (silly) thought was guilletine gate but now thinking a footbridge or road bridge? Foreshortening of photo makes it difficult to determine the depth of the 'arch'.

Just curious.

A close up of the culvert/bridge:

IMG0612-L.jpg

As others have said it will carry the access road into the new marina.

Hope this helps!

Tim

• 3 months later...

A close up of the culvert/bridge:

IMG0612-L.jpg

As others have said it will carry the access road into the new marina.

Hope this helps!

Tim

A few pictures of Staveley Town basin being filled

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/gallery/photos/167-staveley-town-basin

Tim