Barton Marina, Trent & Mersey

Darren72

Featured Posts

Moored there about 5 years ago & it was fine, if a little windy at times!!!

They were just building the pub/shops at the time & there was a nice covering of builders dust on the boats all the time.

I don't know if it's still the case but the pub had a late licence at weekends with live music & it could get bloody noisy in the summer with the doors/windows open, causing the local residents to complain.

They were just building the pub/shops at the time & there was a nice covering of builders dust on the boats all the time.

I don't know if it's still the case but the pub had a late licence at weekends with live music & it could get bloody noisy in the summer with the doors/windows open, causing the local residents to complain.

oh dear, looks like we'll be moving, check out the website. www.bartonmarina.co.uk and click on live music, looks like Blackpool. Luckily Saturdays we'll be on the cut and Sundays on way home. Just a weekend retreat and holiday boat for now. If everything goes thru that is!!

Like Tony, it is several years since we moored there and my memory is of the strong wind which always seemed to come from the wrong direction. It even moved round just to make sure that it was never helping you. Because of the wind, getting off the services and back to your mooring was "intersting" and there always seemed to be folk at the front of thier boats shouting if you went within 6 feet of them.

haggis

Don't forget the proximity of the A38 to the Marina which is another source of noise, one which put me off when searching for a base.

Went to the Waterfront back in May whilst moored up on the T&M and although it was busy, there were more middle aged folk in than young clubbers so may not be too bad after all. That was early evening though so it may get a bit rowdier later in the evening. The entertainment was an acoustic session too so the decibels probably increase with a full electric band set up.

Had to wear earplugs when sleeping during the evening because of the traffic noise ( I'm a light sleeper ).

On the plus side there is some lovely walking around the lakes there and there's also some good pubs in nearby Barton.

Regards

Graham.

Anybody ouy there got any good points to it???? All seem negative to me

We have moored at Barton for over 9 years so have seen the facilities grow. In my opinion, it is a great place to moor. We are moored in the centre of the marina and if you listen for it, yes, you can hear the music on some occasions (Friday and Saturday nights), but is not intrusive. The shopping promenade is always bustling at the weekend which adds to the atmosphere.

Like most big, open marinas, the wind can be quite brisk at times, but can be used to your advantage. Certainly, the moorers who have been here for some time have adapted to the conditions.

Give it a try.

Jenny and Tony

Edited by Edders

Don't forget the proximity of the A38 to the Marina which is another source of noise, one which put me off when searching for a base.

Went to the Waterfront back in May whilst moored up on the T&M and although it was busy, there were more middle aged folk in than young clubbers so may not be too bad after all. That was early evening though so it may get a bit rowdier later in the evening. The entertainment was an acoustic session too so the decibels probably increase with a full electric band set up.

Had to wear earplugs when sleeping during the evening because of the traffic noise ( I'm a light sleeper ).

On the plus side there is some lovely walking around the lakes there and there's also some good pubs in nearby Barton.

Regards

Graham.

Road noise shouldnt effect us, our house is less than a mile off M1/M62 junction, under LBA flight path, 300 yds off a 70mph dual carriageway and spitting distance of West Yorkshire police helicopter home. If we can sleep through that!!

Loud banging music though is different as it fluctuates, and isnt a steady hum. I expect its not a nightlife for under 30's as its not a clubby place. We may end up joining them if its any good

we'll have to suck it and see

We have moored at Barton for over 9 years so have seen the facilities grow. In my opinion, it is a great place to moor. We are moored in the centre of the marina and if you listen for it, yes, you can hear the music on some occasions (Friday and Saturday nights), but is not intrusive. The shopping promenade is always bustling at the weekend which adds to the atmosphere.

Like most big, open marinas, the wind can be quite brisk at times, but can be used to your advantage. Certainly, the moorers who have been here for some time have adapted to the conditions.

Give it a try.

Jenny and Tony

see you soon we hope if your still there

Darren,

Have you considered Mercia Marina . . .just a few miles from Barton Turns

IMHO it's a much more pleasant spot, with great facilities, more spacious pontoons, and more greenery about it. The wildlife (nature's) is wonderful, and I'm left with the opinion that it's designed with the boater in mind, not the Coffee-shop brigade

Moored there over last winter..up until May.

I only live aboard while 'preping' for my travels.

The pub has entertainment Fridays / Saturdays...and so you can hear it at times. If you are over the other side of the marina you get road noise..but then you get that when mooring on the cut anyway...so we are used to it.

When we left...they were still throwing in free electric with the mooring...as they didn't have jetty meters. This was a bonus if you stay there over winter...as people had heaters going 24/7.

I'm not sure this will carry on forever...as they had a £10k shortfall the previous year !!

Loraine...who 'runs' it..is not the friendliest of people...other people have told me that the previous 'Keith' was a real gent.

Now...I KNOW we are not residential....but we moved in at the same instant our boat insurance expired...and they wanted to see it.

I asked the girl in the office...that being the case..can we have one and only one letter with our new certificate...sent to the office...and she said OK.

When it arrived..Lorraine nearly had us expelled....and I opened it there and then and said...here it is..only one item..the certificate you wanted to see..and I did ask...but it cut no ice !!. I even got a warning letter !

I met a fellow moorer last week...who said that he got a phone call saying he could not leave his car there long term...if he was out cruising for a long time in summer...even though he was paying for a mooring he was not using !!...apparently..the small print somewhere. He had to bus and train and remove the car..

I had a phone call last year...while out long term cruising asking me to change jetty. I said I was out cruising...and got told off for not notifying them..(doesn't that make it nice and easy for them to change my jetty ??)...Its all Loraine...and all officialdom....she upholds the letter of her law...but if you know that..you can just avoid her.

The marina appears quite secure...with locked gates for cars..and coded entry to the jettys.

It has good transport links with regular buses to Burton...and from there you have main trains to all points.

The coffee shop is nice..but you need a mortgage for anything other than coffee...and it fills with 'Posher folk' at weekends.

Pub is good for beer and food. Has some nice real ales at good price.

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Another vote for Mercia Marina at Willington being a good one, run by good people.

It does get windy, like Barton Turns, but there's loads of manouvering space so it's less of an issue.

Only issue at the moment is a shortage of parking spaces some weekends, but I think there are plans afoot to ease that.

Another vote for Mercia Marina at Willington being a good one, run by good people.

It does get windy, like Barton Turns, but there's loads of manouvering space so it's less of an issue.

Only issue at the moment is a shortage of parking spaces some weekends, but I think there are plans afoot to ease that.

and they have at least one vacancy at the mo!! - that is unless my old pontoon has been occupied.

- it is indeed well run.

On reflection the only negative I can think of for Mercia is the lack of Elsan's - they only have one for the whole of the marina, discussions are on going to solve this and it will be resolved in the future I understand.

Not an issue of course if you don't have a cassette loo.

ETA - yes the parking was sometimes an issue too but I think this was as much people thinking they should be able to park in the little 'car park' right next to their own pontoon. I often used to find plenty of space further round it just meant parking a bit further away with a bit of a short walk after unloading your car near the pontoon you actually moor on.

Edited by MJG

We have had our boat moored there for a year and have spent many weeks on it during that time. Can't really fault it. There were a couple of late nights in the Waterfront Bar but not too bad unless you were moored right next to it. A38 slight noise but not bad. Loved the atmosphere of the marina and can't say a bad word about it.

Is there anyone out there who is moored there or has. I need your thoughts on the marina. Does it get noisey with the nightlife on the promenade on a night?

We were moored at Barton until a few weeks ago. Noise from the pub wasn't too bad (although we were on one of the more distant piers) but the noise from the A38 really did prevent a decent night's sleep.

Shops are good but very expensive. Facilties fine and good atmosphere but, as others have mentioned, it can be very windy as there is almost no shelter from the south west and there's not much room to manoeuvre. It always seemed to be blowing a gale whenever we went anywhere!

Ken.

No its got about 600 boats twice as many as barton but not twice the amount of facilities . Mercia` is my worst nightmare.

14Skipper

The thing about Mercia is that the way it is constructed you would have no idea it was so big - it's designed so each section is like a marina in it's own right.

The facilities are more than adequate and are never overwhelmed by the number of boaters - we moored there for a year and I never ever had to queue for a shower or the loo.

I like Barton Turns, good atmostphere, friendly staff, Loraine is down to earth and doesn't put up with winging wally's. Yes the marina can be a bit windy at times. The Waterfront do some decent real ales, and yes the shops are a bit pricey.

The Thai Marina is excellent.

Give it a go! you can pay monthly, if you don't like it, move on.

I met a fellow moorer last week...who said that he got a phone call saying he could not leave his car there long term...if he was out cruising for a long time in summer...even though he was paying for a mooring he was not using !!...apparently..the small print somewhere. He had to bus and train and remove the car..

Have just read small print got last week from Barton Can,t see that anywhere (mind you it could be in the Very small print.)

Have just read small print got last week from Barton Can,t see that anywhere (mind you it could be in the Very small print.)

Have just looked at my old agreement which expired on 31st July 2011 and can't see a reference to that, there is only one reference to vehicle parking (Clause 21) and it certainly doesn't say that.

Edited by MJG

Darren,

Have you considered Mercia Marina . . .just a few miles from Barton Turns

IMHO it's a much more pleasant spot, with great facilities, more spacious pontoons, and more greenery about it. The wildlife (nature's) is wonderful, and I'm left with the opinion that it's designed with the boater in mind, not the Coffee-shop brigade

we are buying the boat from there. We are considering but the price is the question