deep clean(after flooding)

Titan

Featured Posts

Owatrol, i like the sound off :)

to clarify oil based paint ? is there a red oxide/type paint or primer suitable to paint over owatrol?

would owatrol allow blacking to be painted over it ???

Move the boat tommorrow :) so hopefully within 3 weeks i will of finished prep to floor ready for treatment/painting

regards Martin

Owatrol is a very thin oil. A bit like machine oil. Because it's so thin it creeps into cracks and crevices then it oxidises (oxidizes?) - a bit like putting an oil finish on wood - and prevents oxygen getting to the steel. It can be overpainted with just about anything I believe, but for sure an oil-based paint would be okay, or blacking.

Note the difference though.

•  
  • Following a good wire brushing, Vactan will convert any microscopic rust into an impermeable compound. Any over-paint onto clean steel is fine, so you just paint the whole panel with Vactan and let it dry (see that link I posted a few days back).
  • Owatrol will seek out crevices (such as behind knees etc) where you can't wire brush and can't effectively get to with Vactan so as to exclude oxygen and stop further rusting, but it won't actually remove any existing rust.

Phew! Does that all make sense?

Tony

What a day,

But wonderfull, moved angelwood to saul, against the wind we made slow progress but progress, two attempts to turn about on the canal to come along aside boat yard to secure, rested as the volunteer tow was quite poorly and spent most of the previous nite in hospital.

The journey back was leisurely and gave me time to reflect, oh bugger what have i/we done :). Once back at gloucester docks secured Oransay to its moorings (tow boat) and then bumped into angelwoods previous owner (Jude) and poppy the Jack russell who both survived the sinking, what an unexpected opening line to a meeting from Jude (thank you so much for buying and rescuing my lovely angelwood) what an opener? good friends will be made and i hope we will quickly fit in to our new life.

Past two days we have received so much moral support, and good wishes, A very welcoming and promising start :)

What a day,

But wonderfull, moved angelwood to saul, against the wind we made slow progress but progress, two attempts to turn about on the canal to come along aside boat yard to secure, rested as the volunteer tow was quite poorly and spent most of the previous nite in hospital.

The journey back was leisurely and gave me time to reflect, oh bugger what have i/we done :). Once back at gloucester docks secured Oransay to its moorings (tow boat) and then bumped into angelwoods previous owner (Jude) and poppy the Jack russell who both survived the sinking, what an unexpected opening line to a meeting from Jude (thank you so much for buying and rescuing my lovely angelwood) what an opener? good friends will be made and i hope we will quickly fit in to our new life.

Past two days we have received so much moral support, and good wishes, A very welcoming and promising start :)

Quick Update,

I have secured the purchase of the craft and all being well move it to the boat yard this saturday :)

If anyone has fit out items for sale feel free to let me know :) thanks for everyones comments to date much appreciated regards Martin

We were sat on the pontoons in Gloucester docks yesterday and saw you breasted up on Oronsay & then later Oronsay back on its mooring in Victoria basin. I wondered what was going on!!

Anyway, if its any use to you I have a rear door & frame, brand new from my 2002 Liverpool Boats trad stern. I tried to give it away on For Sale & Wanted a while ago, nobody wanted it then. Its in Wotton under Edge, not far from Saul.

Steve

Owatrol, i like the sound off :)

to clarify oil based paint ? is there a red oxide/type paint or primer suitable to paint over owatrol?

would owatrol allow blacking to be painted over it ???

Move the boat tommorrow :) so hopefully within 3 weeks i will of finished prep to floor ready for treatment/painting

regards Martin

You can't use two pack or xylene based paints over Owatrol. Has to be spirit based.

It is wonderful stuff.

Edited by Chris Pink

We were sat on the pontoons in Gloucester docks yesterday and saw you breasted up on Oronsay & then later Oronsay back on its mooring in Victoria basin. I wondered what was going on!!

Anyway, if its any use to you I have a rear door & frame, brand new from my 2002 Liverpool Boats trad stern. I tried to give it away on For Sale & Wanted a while ago, nobody wanted it then. Its in Wotton under Edge, not far from Saul.

Steve

Everyone has their own opinions :)

I've never heard of the bitumen and felt idea, although it sounds good. However if I were doing that I'd still use Vactan first, to kill the rust. You'll never remove every trace of rust no matter how well you grind it back.

I'm a fan of Vactan as it requires no cleaning off and acts as a very effective primer, but not everyone shares my enthusiasm. That doesn't make either of us wrong.

Tony

Vactan ordered, knotted wire angle grinder discs present, grey industrial enamel ordered, goggles gloves, thats it

time to crack on ,

Straying away from the rust prevention issues, have you tried the engine yet? If it were me and the engine was 'free' I'd spend at least an afternoon trying to start it up.

Charge the battery up, drain all fluids (oil, water and diesel) remove air cleaner (if fitted) fit a new oil and fuel filter fill it with cheap diesel oil to the correct level, remove the three injectors and give the engine a spin to move any standing water, replace injectors, bleed fresh fuel through and have a go at starting it. 3HD's start really easily and unless it's been siezed i'd be surprised if it didn't start with only a little encouragement. Once running, assess the engine then. They are a solid old tractor lump and built like a brick outhouse. Most of them smoke a little, If it all sounds ok you'll have saved a few hundred quid and many hours labour and if it's all knackered it's just cost a few ltrs of cheap oil and a couple of filters to find out.

If all seems hopeful, replace the oil and filters AGAIN, fill cooling system with a quality antifreeze solution. Don't forget that the gearbox oil will need changing also. If it runs you will be able to jury rig some heating and electrics to help with the cold dark days of the fitout.

Best of luck

Paul

Like your approach nothing to loose besides the filters i remain hopeful, but either way

i think i shall stick with perkins as an engine, still ripping back cabin out to gain proper access to it and still moving mud,

o the mud!!!!! even though it was cleared out, ive filled ten rubble bags full, and guess i have another ten to go before its all gone.

tomorrow will remove starter and alternator to refurb and drain sump etc. Thanks for your advice

regards Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

www.angelwoodboat.blogspot.com

We have added a few more pictures, 0n the blog ??? shows a more accurate state of the challenge lol .

My link

sorry forgot to put the hyperlink in.

There are now more pictures for you to look at i will try and upload some more every weekened to show the progress.

Dirty, innit?

What a job! You have my admiration. :)

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Slow slow progress is being made, have finally moved water tank took over 5 hours as the silt was creating a somewhat tight glove around the tank,

and where all the ply around had expanded also caused issues, still its out and now back to more mud and digging :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tony,

Slow slow progress is being made, have finally moved water tank took over 5 hours as the silt was creating a somewhat tight glove around the tank,

and where all the ply around had expanded also caused issues, still its out and now back to more mud and digging :)

Quick update,bow and stern all cleared , sealed with Aqua steel (vactan ) and 2 coats of bitumen, middle to clear and finish but been working on engine and diesel tank today, the good news is ive freed the engine off and it now turns over quite we,, as for the fuel tank ive emtied out over a 130 litres of water so far no fuel? how big are these tanks roughly? lol now sat in lounge stripping starter motor :) with a chilled bottle of westons scrumpy to wash some of the dust away cheers martin

If taking the water tank out meant that it was either plastic or stainless then that is a lot better than an inbuilt one that goes rusty. Once you have the engine ruing and some ballast down you can go for a cruise sleeping on the floor while you visit the pubs. Old but clean caravan fittings and upholstery off ebay

Straying away from the rust prevention issues, have you tried the engine yet? If it were me and the engine was 'free' I'd spend at least an afternoon trying to start it up.

Charge the battery up, drain all fluids (oil, water and diesel) remove air cleaner (if fitted) fit a new oil and fuel filter fill it with cheap diesel oil to the correct level, remove the three injectors and give the engine a spin to move any standing water, replace injectors, bleed fresh fuel through and have a go at starting it. 3HD's start really easily and unless it's been siezed i'd be surprised if it didn't start with only a little encouragement. Once running, assess the engine then. They are a solid old tractor lump and built like a brick outhouse. Most of them smoke a little, If it all sounds ok you'll have saved a few hundred quid and many hours labour and if it's all knackered it's just cost a few ltrs of cheap oil and a couple of filters to find out.

If all seems hopeful, replace the oil and filters AGAIN, fill cooling system with a quality antifreeze solution. Don't forget that the gearbox oil will need changing also. If it runs you will be able to jury rig some heating and electrics to help with the cold dark days of the fitout.

Best of luck

Paul

Cheers Paul

Well :cheers: I feel very lucky and quite smug lol, removed the injectors and filled the cyliders with duck oil, removed stripped starter i rebuilt, (very rusty) removed 180 litres of water from fuel tank, used a 3/4 " socket set and jumped up n down till she released, rebuilt it all new alternator, bled it through, with new oils n filters and YUP runs like clockwork :blush: woop woop sorry i am so pleased now.

Cheers Paul

Well :cheers: I feel very lucky and quite smug lol, removed the injectors and filled the cyliders with duck oil, removed stripped starter i rebuilt, (very rusty) removed 180 litres of water from fuel tank, used a 3/4 " socket set and jumped up n down till she released, rebuilt it all new alternator, bled it through, with new oils n filters and YUP runs like clockwork :blush: woop woop sorry i am so pleased now.

Well Done. Bet you are pleased.

Now get it warm and put a second set of new oil and filters in- running it has probably shifted all the mud out of the oilways etc and into the oil. Not good for long term prospects.

N

Edited by BEngo

Does your engine still turn over? If it does, drain out all the sump contents and fill it right up with diesel. Pop the injectors out and wind it over by hand to circulate the diesel through all the galleries. Leave the diesel in the engine for a few days and then drain off. Change all the filters and refill with oil, cheap stuff will do. Even with a submerged engine the fuel pump etc is unlikely to have water in it. Flush plenty of clean diesel through it to be sure. If the fuel tank has been flooded drain and clean thoroughly before putting clean fuel in it. Take off the starter motor and alternator and wash them in a solvent(brake cleaner will do). Once it is back together crank the motor without the injectors in place to ensure there is no water remaining in the cylinders. Pop the injectors back and go for the big start! Nine time out of ten you will be fine. If the engine was running when it sank... well just don't go there! But whatever you do don't leave the water in the engine..clean it all out asap. Best of luck to you!. Years ago I went through this procedure with a big Dorman engine in an MFV which had sunk in Poole harbour. Getting the engine running wasn't too much of a problem but getting rid of the slime and silt was an entirely different story! The owner succeeded though and sailed of to the Med in it the following summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Fix the weed box lid. :closedeyes: bizzard.

Wizzard. today was that day when there was nothing left to remove from the boat :) all of the floor has been cleaned, wire cupped!! (messy job) aquasteeled (vactan ) and given 3 coats of blacking, and yes i actually started loading in 10 sheets of hardwood ply for the floor.

I thought I ought to say a big thankyou for those who have offered advice and support on this thread so far. Today a change of some magnitude, i took delivery of some wonderfull heavy hardwood 8x4 ply sheets and loaded them onto angelwood, yes these are the first of many to go IN as last seven weeks have ive been just removing mud and stuffs out. What a landmark day. than you ALL AGAIN Martin

Lol edit, Forgot to mention spent an hour or so on weed box lid welded an inner skirt to the lid, it now fits very snug, aligns and seals 100% even without a gasket, a gasket will be fitted in due course :)

Edited by Titan

Top news that the engine runs, well done!

Don't be tempted to run the engine without another oil change, the damage a little bit of loose grit can cause just isnt worth the gamble.

Good luck with the fitout, it will be worth it in the end

Paul