Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Another boater passing with their dogs today said Barby Marina has gone bankrupt..can anyone confirm???

Not according to Companies House yet. Still showing as active. More likely to be some bloke anticipating the innevitable

Edited by Boondock

If the "rumour" of the bankruptcy of Barby Moorings is true, then where does it leave those whose boats are moored there?

In particular are they are risk from being "impounded" by the receiver, or are they immune from such action?

Don't know the answer -

Tigger will know though.

But if your car is in for service at a car service dealership which goes bankrupt what happens then???

You may need to be able to demonstrate or actually prove ownership...

Depending on exactly what has happened, Companies House might be the last to know.

I must admit I had a look on Companies house but it does take at least a month from declaring bankruptcy to being put on

If the "rumour" of the bankruptcy of Barby Moorings is true, then where does it leave those whose boats are moored there?

In particular are they are risk from being "impounded" by the receiver, or are they immune from such action?

It would not affect the boaters, it is the marina itself and the tired old worker (JCB that is not the wife :lol:

They are not at risk.

The only time a boat owner is at risk when somebody goes bust is if he is the owner of a part-finished new boat. Unless it has formally changed hands, it will be regarded as work in progress belonging to the boatyard.

There are ways round this, and anybody having a boat built in these troubled times should consult a solicitor before signing a contract.

In the event of the rumour being true that is a relief for those moored at Braby.

Hi I'm not sure it be a relief or not

What will they do, or where will they go, will they be able to stay, and theirs monies paid are gone, lost!!.

If it gets taken over, old mooring contracts may not be honored

Col

Let's hope that (if the rumour is true) the receiver and subsequent purchaser act honourably, and not only honour existing agreements (it's not like it will actually cost them anything to permit existing moorers to remain) and then start ploughing some money into it.

Tony

I don't know if Barby have gone into liquidation or not. However, if this rumour is true then I would guess the first thing to be switched off would be the water and electricity to the boats still there which would make their continued occupation of the site very difficult.

It also depends on whether the liquidator tries to keep the site running as a "going concern" or simply shuts it down and puts it on the market at its land value to try and recoup the debts which, I suspect, are largely owed to RBS. The liquidator only has a responsibility to the creditors, not to the moorers. I understand that all agreements between Barby and it's "customers" instantly become void - the administrators could, I believe, start re-invoicing boaters from day one of the liquidation meaning people who have already paid in advance finding they are having to pay again if they wish to stay. The "blind-eye" to residential boats may no longer be quite so "blind" either. I would suggest that anyone who still has a boat in there, especially liveaboards, at a minimum takes advice from the CAB to ascertain exactly where they stand if the company has indeed gone bust or bankruptcy is imminent. Forewarned is forearmed. They cannot take your boat unless you owe Barby money, and that would have to be done through a separate court action, but security of tenure is a different question altogether.

Hi I'm not sure it be a relief or not

What will they do, or where will they go, will they be able to stay, and theirs monies paid are gone, lost!!.

If it gets taken over, old mooring contracts may not be honored

Col

The question was would boats be impounded. The answer is no. That is a big relief but it doesn't mean there are no other problems.

I have received a recorded delivery letter from Barby Moorings this morning - having sent me notice to quit the marina on 27th September, it would seem they are now going to take me to court for non-payment of mooring fees of £354 for 9 weeks following the date I removed my boat "in lieu of notice". As soon as I have the date and location of the hearing I will publish it here and anyone who wishes to come and watch me being taken away in chains and cast into a debtors prison is more than welcome.

I have received a recorded delivery letter from Barby Moorings this morning - having sent me notice to quit the marina on 27th September, it would seem they are now going to take me to court for non-payment of mooring fees of £354 for 9 weeks following the date I removed my boat "in lieu of notice". As soon as I have the date and location of the hearing I will publish it here and anyone who wishes to come and watch me being taken away in chains and cast into a debtors prison is more than welcome.

Good luck, I lost my battle with a marina I was with.

:(

I'll save up all my rotten tomatoes and cabbages ;)

If I recall correctly, at the bottom of the form should be a section for you to fill in if you wish to counter-claim. How much was the distress, worry and inconvenience worth to you?

Surely the court is just going to pee themselves laughing at this.