Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Looking at those photos is like reliving a nightmare, I have photos that I took in June and to be honest there is NO DIFFERENCE. Oh yes, except for the decking path we made ourselves to get to our boat without dragging syrup like mud into it.!! we had no room to take the decking on the boat when we left, as it is very heavy and 15ft long and as it had sunk into the mud I didn't really want to try and lift it with my husband as I could hardly lift it when it was dry.

I just got my IWA mag and even they are carrying adverts for Barby marinas, I thought they were supposed to be on our side as we pay members their wages. Looks like a nasty gram to their editor is in order preferably from as many IWA members as possible

TC

I just got my IWA mag and even they are carrying adverts for Barby marinas, I thought they were supposed to be on our side as we pay members their wages. Looks like a nasty gram to their editor is in order preferably from as many IWA members as possible

TC

I suppose the ads are done in advance and they may not be aware of the problems we have had with Barby,, maybe a link from this site to them might open their eyes to the whole sorry saga.

Indeed there is a lead time on adverts in rags, the ASA decision was made public on the 26th October, prior to that it would have been communicated to those rags that were cited in the complaint (WW & TT), so it is possible that the IWA would not have known about that decision until after their magazine had gone to circulation. Of course the owners, managers and directors of Barby Moorings should have contacted all publications that were running their ad to either change the ad or pull it until such time as new copy could be presented for publication.

~ From your roving reporter, Starcoaster... In my next column, I'll be looking at the anti- cats rule at Pillings Lock marina...

Just as well they didn't credit me for their quote, they may have lost some credibility... "The opinion of a girl an hour into her first trip on an NB and knowing nothing about marina's!" :P

Only on a boat for a day and already famous...

If you're going "into journalism" you'll need to tighten up on your typos :rolleyes:

TC

Now published by I think WW who handle all advertising etc.

Can't be bothered to read back to find who made the request but the December issue of Waterways World (just out) is carrying the same Barby advert as the November.

That is terrible, thought I read on here that Barby Marina was told to take its FALSE ads off!

Indeed there is a lead time on adverts in rags, the ASA decision was made public on the 26th October, prior to that it would have been communicated to those rags that were cited in the complaint (WW & TT), so it is possible that the IWA would not have known about that decision until after their magazine had gone to circulation. Of course the owners, managers and directors of Barby Moorings should have contacted all publications that were running their ad to either change the ad or pull it until such time as new copy could be presented for publication.

Of course the owners, managers and directors of Barby Moorings should have contacted all publications that were running their ad to either change the ad or pull it until such time as new copy could be presented for publication.

That would be a one line ad then!!

Was WW mentioned in the complaint to ASA or was it general?

It doesn't need to be - under the ruling the advertiser is required by law to contact each publication and website with whom they have placed advertisingeither amending the wording to reflect the truth or to withdrawing it completely. I suspect the ASA ruling of 26th October has been ignored by Barby Moorings Ltd which means the ASA will now notify this failure to comply to Trading Standards who will consider whether to bring criminal charges.

Trading Standards in Daventry have recently successfully prosecuted the proprietor of Gary Allbones Garage Doors. From Northamptonshire County Council News:

Councillor Andre Gonzalez de Savage, county council cabinet member for customers and communities said: “This was a fraud that deceived consumers into parting with their money for goods that Allbones knew would not be supplied on time, and in some cases they were never supplied at all. Allbones still owes a number of the consumers several hundred pounds that he fraudulently obtained from them. I am pleased that Trading Standards have successfully prosecuted this rogue trader.”

Draw your own conclusions as to the similarity here. Allbones was jailed for 10 months.

• Greenie 1

It doesn't need to be - under the ruling the advertiser is required by law to contact each publication and website with whom they have placed advertisingeither amending the wording to reflect the truth or to withdrawing it completely. I suspect the ASA ruling of 26th October has been ignored by Barby Moorings Ltd which means the ASA will now notify this failure to comply to Trading Standards who will consider whether to bring criminal charges.

Trading Standards in Daventry have recently successfully prosecuted the proprietor of Gary Allbones Garage Doors. From Northamptonshire County Council News:

Councillor Andre Gonzalez de Savage, county council cabinet member for customers and communities said: “This was a fraud that deceived consumers into parting with their money for goods that Allbones knew would not be supplied on time, and in some cases they were never supplied at all. Allbones still owes a number of the consumers several hundred pounds that he fraudulently obtained from them. I am pleased that Trading Standards have successfully prosecuted this rogue trader.”

Draw your own conclusions as to the similarity here. Allbones was jailed for 10 months.

oh I would love to see Mr Mcmaster put in prison, be interesting to see how long it took before he got a good hiding for being such an arse with his attitude.

I do notice that adverts for Barby in the latest TT are notable - for their absence.

Also the website has been revised with the inclusion words along the lines "will" and "intended". So some heed has been paid.

Answerng Allan's question - Waterways World were specifically mentioned in my complaint, as being another example of where the ad was placed, and over what time period.

(The ASA is "tolerant" of an ad that occurs once, in one publication, but much less so when the same add appears in several publications over a series of publication dates - you can make a mistake once, but repetition is seen as being a deliberate act.)

Edited by Bob18

Still says this on their website

Welcome to Barby Moorings a new marina development on the Oxford canal.

Now Open

Barby Moorings Marina

Barby Moorings on the Oxford canal is 2 miles from Hillmorton locks and just 5 miles from Braunston Junction.

Two types of premium mooring are offered, each fully serviced with electrical power, water, wired internet and digital ready TV aerial socket.

Unique bankside moorings with private leisure plots are offered as an alternative to pontoon moorings.

For more information register your interest now by using the contact page.

Still says this on their website

I understood that websites came within the remit of the ASA earlier this year - they should be able to instruct the offender to correct the description

Websites do come under the ASA

And I must make sure I go to the home page, not just my link to some internal page - yes some pages have been updated, but others haven't (based on a poll of two pages, 50% have, 50% haven't)