Ruined

Redeye

Featured Posts

Hi,

This looks like it has just been posted on the Duck:

Hope the link works

I'm speechless!

That's just a piece which was cut out of the original boat to shorten it, with a new-ish counter and horrible (IMVHO) bow added.

I think you'll find that the original boat has now been put back to its original length, I think there were some negotiations with the then owner of this craft to 'get the right piece back' but they came to naught.

No doubt Mr Harrison will have chapter & verse on that ;)

Tim

I think to call that a 1936 Yarwoods boat is being what has in the past been called "economical with the truth".

We will certainly not be swapping for our 1936 Yarwoods boat, even though that is known to contain a few new bits!

For the record, here is the Starling that contains the more interesting bits!

HNBOC Site Linky

starling-knighton-apr-2011-IMG_0268.jpg

maybe it was built by MIKE YARWOOD,or some other comedian?

It WAS owned by a comedian, about 12years ago it was out of the water on our slipway for leak investigation. There were holes at the Skip/Yarwoods interfaces which were "repaired" by the then owner. He soon sold it on at a premium based on its supposed historic boat status, I think to the chap who refused to sell the good bit to the owner of the rest of Starling. It seems to have been around a bit since, but not improved any.

Bill

Should it not be called Starling A, similar to when people sell off parts of their garden and a new house is built on it.

For me this seems such a messed about boat that it's provenance now seems nearly irrelevant

Edited - for typo's - doh !

Edited by JonL

That's just a piece which was cut out of the original boat to shorten it, with a new-ish counter and horrible (IMVHO) bow added.

I think you'll find that the original boat has now been put back to its original length, I think there were some negotiations with the then owner of this craft to 'get the right piece back' but they came to naught.

No doubt Mr Harrison will have chapter & verse on that ;)

Tim

I do have the chapter and verse on STARLING but I wont bore everybody with it here.

To my mind this is a perfect example of what makes 'historic' boats interesting. STARLING is certainly not the only 'historic' narrow boat to have a section removed, but is one of the few where the centre section survives (the others being a couple of Small Woolwich motors, a Large Ricky butty, a 'Midlands & Coast' motor and a handful of B.C.N. day boats - off the top of my head). Personally I am glad that all 'historic' narrow boats are not preserved in the same way and that a few have a 'character' all of their own, even if they are not all to everybody's taste.

For me this seems such a messed about boat that it's provenance now seems nearly irrelevant

But I wonder how many 'enthusiasts' speculated to its original identity whilst it was named LOUISE JANE ? Quite a few I imagine.

Edited by pete harrison

STARLING is certainly not the only 'historic' narrow boat to have a section removed, but is one of the few where the centre section survives (the others being a couple of Small Woolwich motors, a Large Ricky butty and a 'Midlands & Coast' motor - off the top of my head).

Any a "Middle Northwich" (former) butty that has bequeathed 10 foot of it's former length to re-lengthening a "Middle Northwich" motor ?

Or so I have been led to believe ?

Any a "Middle Northwich" (former) butty that has bequeathed 10 foot of it's former length to re-lengthening a "Middle Northwich" motor ?

Or so I have been led to believe ?

Yes that is true, and I am sure if I spent some time thinking about it I could add several more. Again I will say that this is the sort of thing that makes 'historic' boats interesting.

Hi Guys,

The reason for the original post was that I actually think the centre section is quite interesting. My understanding is that there are relatively few examples of the rounded chine construction and to my knowledge only the C&C boats and the E Class boats were built using that method of construction. While I agree that the bow and stern details are interesting it is the underwater details comprising the swims and chine details that are often lost durin restoration or rebuiling as they may be perceived as being unimportant because the arn't seen. To put such a pig ugly bow and stern on an interesting example of construction still leaves me speechless.

Cheers

Redeye

So what in your opinion were the benefits of round chines? One major disadvantage is a decrease in stability.

The advantages of rounded chines can be that when you ride up on the mud the boat tends to slide off, the rounded chines can make them tender rather than unstable.

The reason for the original post was that I actually think the centre section is quite interesting. My understanding is that there are relatively few examples of the rounded chine construction and to my knowledge only the C&C boats and the E Class boats were built using that method of construction. While I agree that the bow and stern details are interesting it is the underwater details comprising the swims and chine details that are often lost durin restoration or rebuiling as they may be perceived as being unimportant because the arn't seen. To put such a pig ugly bow and stern on an interesting example of construction still leaves me speechless.

The George and Mary also have rounded chines.

The Centre section of the ‘Starling’ when called something like the ‘Louise’ or ‘Louise Jane’ was given the bow and stern a long time ago, I remember it on the moorings at or near Lymm in the 1970’s with each rivet painted in alternating colours of the boats colour scheme. While it may be less than beautiful it is much more interesting in every way that the masses of bland 57ft ‘Clone craft’ that are so popular and has probably been 'as is' for nearly half its life.

The George and Mary also have rounded chines.

As do other Royalty boats. The rounded chines on a boat like this will make it roll worse than without, and with little other benefit due to its shallow draft and presumabably level trim in the water. Handy for rolling off the shallows however.

Mike