Solar Problems

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

I just installed a 135W Solar with a 15A SunSaver Mppt controlled on the boat and I’m a little disappointed with what I’m getting out.

Peek current so far of the box is 1.6A on a Bright Sunny Day I was expecting it to be up around 5-6 A at least

Tuesday 17:30 Half light

Voltage across the open array 17.27 v

Across solar term array Connected 13.54 V

Current 0.16 A

13:36 Wednesday Bright but not sunny

open array 19:80 V

Across solar term array Connected 15:89 V

Current 1.2 A

11:05 thur Sunlight

open array 20.3V

Across solar term array Connected 16.8V

Current 1.4A

1PM Thursday Very bright

1.6A

Does this look like a Box failure ?

Thanks

Bob B

I just installed a 135W Solar with a 15A SunSaver Mppt controlled on the boat and I'm a little disappointed with what I'm getting out.

Peek current so far of the box is 1.6A on a Bright Sunny Day I was expecting it to be up around 5-6 A at least

Tuesday 17:30 Half light

Voltage across the open array 17.27 v

Across solar term array Connected 13.54 V

Current 0.16 A

13:36 Wednesday Bright but not sunny

open array 19:80 V

Across solar term array Connected 15:89 V

Current 1.2 A

11:05 thur Sunlight

open array 20.3V

Across solar term array Connected 16.8V

Current 1.4A

1PM Thursday Very bright

1.6A

Does this look like a Box failure ?

Thanks

Bob B

Was it a new panel?

If so I would think something is wrong somewhere.

Just looks like the normal solar rubbish to me. My 80W panel produces next to sod all in the brightest sunlight, neither does any other solar panel I have tested.

I thought my meter had gone a bollock at first. Those Maplin beauties were particularly bad and just not worth having.

My panel does the job for me though...just about overcomes natural losses whilst we are not there for weeks.

Just looks like the normal solar rubbish to me. My 80W panel produces next to sod all in the brightest sunlight, neither does any other solar panel I have tested.

I thought my meter had gone a bollock at first. Those Maplin beauties were particularly bad and just not worth having.

My panel does the job for me though...just about overcomes natural losses whilst we are not there for weeks.

Why not take it back, if it's not performing to the manufacturers stated output you have a right to replacement or refund.

I compared it to other peoples installations and outputs from quite large arrays, and they weren't doing anything special either.

1.5amps...pah...useless. if I leave 3 lights on I need more than that. So if you scale it up to say a 20 amp requiremnet then I need at least 15 panels like mine.

They wouldn't fit on the boat.

I compared it to other peoples installations and outputs from quite large arrays, and they weren't doing anything special either.

1.5amps...pah...useless. if I leave 3 lights on I need more than that. So if you scale it up to say a 20 amp requiremnet then I need at least 15 panels like mine.

They wouldn't fit on the boat.

If you buy a panel rated at say 85 watts that's the energy you should get in bright sunshine with the panel directed at the sun. If you don't get that or very close to it then it's faulty and should be returned. There's clearly something wrong with it or the controller or the way it's connected.

If you buy a panel rated at say 85 watts that's the energy you should get in bright sunshine with the panel directed at the sun.

Fair enough...whats bright sunshine though..?? I dont think we get it here quite the same as they do where they make and rate the panels.

Fair enough...whats bright sunshine though..?? I dont think we get it here quite the same as they do where they make and rate the panels.

Sun in sky mid day no cloud in front of it, panel facing it square on in summer months. PV solar panels get their energy from light, so will work in the winter but at much lower levels.

Edited by Julynian

Are you confident in the ammeter ? - does it read at least +/- about 5% on the 10 amp scale ? ( test with e.g a car headlight in series with it)

Then put the ammeter directly across the battery with the ammeter in series - that should prove the panel....

Nick

I can't believe I wrote that... As exclaimed.... the ammeter should be put in series with the panel and battery so it reads the current being produced, once you are happy with the ammeter reading in the right ballpark...

Edited by Nickhlx

batteries are 12.3 - 12.7 V and the meter is Uni-T UT58C I use it to repair Keyboards. It's never let me down so I guess that is ok.

Maybe measure the panel's short circuit current and temperature in full direct sun, and compare it to the spec. Double check the meter if it's well out.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a question which might be related. On a good day, if I put a meter across my batteries, they read about 13.5V.....clearly due to the affect of the solar panels. My inverter only "beeps" if it sees a voltage less than 11V. This normally means that although during the day things look great, when the sun goes down, the "solar effect" on voltage, is no longer there, and the battery voltage sinks quite quickly... So it seems that although you could be drawing a demand, via an inverter fine during daylight hours, the actual battery state may in fact be much less (although hiding behind the superimposed solar controller effect), and the battery may not have charged much during the day at all....

Remove the sun, and the real battery condition is suddenly apparent.....which could be good or bad, depending on your demand during the day.

does this make sense, or am I smoking something?

Thanks I'll get back to midsummer energy

I found Midsummer energy very helpful.

For comparison, I bought their 100W panel and standard controller.

Last weekend on a bright day I was getting over 4 amps going into the batteries. In June the highest I saw was over 5.5 amps. The panel is mounted flat on the roof.

Clearly something wrong with your panel and/or controller. Giver them a call and I'm sure they will sort you out.

... 100W panel and standard controller.

Last weekend on a bright day I was getting over 4 amps going into the batteries. In June the highest I saw was over 5.5 amps. The panel is mounted flat on the roof.

Those are far more realistic figures for a decent panel and a working controller.

Tony

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a question which might be related. On a good day, if I put a meter across my batteries, they read about 13.5V.....clearly due to the affect of the solar panels. My inverter only "beeps" if it sees a voltage less than 11V. This normally means that although during the day things look great, when the sun goes down, the "solar effect" on voltage, is no longer there, and the battery voltage sinks quite quickly... So it seems that although you could be drawing a demand, via an inverter fine during daylight hours, the actual battery state may in fact be much less (although hiding behind the superimposed solar controller effect), and the battery may not have charged much during the day at all....

Remove the sun, and the real battery condition is suddenly apparent.....which could be good or bad, depending on your demand during the day.

So your solar is no longer running your fridge on its one battery? ;)

Yes its the same as when you switch off your engine (14.4v then quickly down to the actual batteries state/condition)

OR

This can be a sign of tired batteries also.They hit 80% quickly n easily so controller backs off and goes to float, wasting the rest of the hours of sun.

That said you need long, long periods of unobstructed sun to get a big bank to 80%.

It all depends on how much sun your on about.

In bright, direct sunshine my 170w array regularily gives out 12A and more. (all instantaneous and I only check now n then)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

So your solar is no longer running your fridge on its one battery? ;)

Solar on battery which supplies all 12V systems. I haven't had to recharge that battery for months.

Alternator used to keep 2 leisure batteries topped up, which are used for tvs, laptops, etc.

Gennie recharges battery for freezer.

Fridge is on gas.

On sunny days I might link the solar feed accross to other batteries.

Solar on battery which supplies all 12V systems. I haven't had to recharge that battery for months.

Alternator used to keep 2 leisure batteries topped up, which are used for tvs, laptops, etc.

Gennie recharges battery for freezer.

Fridge is on gas.

On sunny days I might link the solar feed accross to other batteries.

Just checking :wacko: