Dometic Toilets

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

I know there's already a lot of threads on here about toilet types etc but just wanted to ask you guys a quick question.

Does anyone have a Dometic cassette toilet like this one :http://www.leesan.co.uk/index.asp?m=3&cat1=4&cat2=16&p=106&t=Toilets+for+Cassette+Toilets

Basiclaly, when someone opens the "valve" (grey on the bottom of the toilet_ that opens up the bottom of the toilet ready for the waste to be dispoed of. However, does it just open up to a box of sh*t ?! (sorry to be blunt!)

Is there like a secondary container which the waste falls into first before it then goes into the main container - or is it going to be a case of every time you flush the toilet and pull that lever and open the "Trap door(!)" , you're going to be faced with a few day's worth of sh*T staring back at you and the accompanying smell!?

Cheers guys!

That's pretty much how a cassette toilet it. Just close the lid. In fact best to to avoid getting splash back.

That's pretty much how a cassette toilet is. Just close the lid. In fact best to to avoid getting splash back.

I know there's already a lot of threads on here about toilet types etc but just wanted to ask you guys a quick question.

Does anyone have a Dometic cassette toilet like this one :http://www.leesan.co.uk/index.asp?m=3&cat1=4&cat2=16&p=106&t=Toilets+for+Cassette+Toilets

Basiclaly, when someone opens the "valve" (grey on the bottom of the toilet_ that opens up the bottom of the toilet ready for the waste to be dispoed of. However, does it just open up to a box of sh*t ?! (sorry to be blunt!)

Is there like a secondary container which the waste falls into first before it then goes into the main container - or is it going to be a case of every time you flush the toilet and pull that lever and open the "Trap door(!)" , you're going to be faced with a few day's worth of sh*T staring back at you and the accompanying smell!?

Cheers guys!

DO NOT BUY the Dometic cassette bog. Right we ALL know the cassette type or porta potti type of bog is the only sensible option for a boat that is not debatable BUT having for years always fitting Thetford a couple of years ago I bought a very expensive Dometic type with ceramic bowl. DO NOT DO IT they are crap ( pardon the pun ) The cassettes are very stiff and awkward to open and they leak within 2 weeks of useage stick with a Thetford.

:)

DO NOT BUY the Dometic cassette bog. Right we ALL know the cassette type or porta potti type of bog is the only sensible option for a boat that is not debatable BUT having for years always fitting Thetford a couple of years ago I bought a very expensive Dometic type with ceramic bowl. DO NOT DO IT they are crap ( pardon the pun ) The cassettes are very stiff and awkward to open and they leak within 2 weeks of useage stick with a Thetford.

Agreed. I know of at least one other Dometic owner having the same problems. He's about to get rid and install a Thetford.

MP.

Just so there is a bit of a balance to the Thetford V Dometic debate I had my first real problem with my Thetford C250 last week. Ironically I was moored across the cut from good yourself when it happened.

To be fair to Thetford mind this was more user error than bad manufacturing.

The lever that activates the flap works on a tooth and ratchet mechanism which somehow jammed meaning the cassette was very stiff to insert but it went in.

Problem then was it wouldn't bloody come out without a good yuk. This promptly meant the tooth and ratchet mechanism became completly 'separated' meaning the lever wouldn't operate the small slot that operates the flap on the holding tank, nor now would the tank slide back in...

After around an hours chew I managed to get everything lined up and working again - nothing seemed to be able to be dismantled so it was more my a bit of heavy handed force that I got things back - nothing broke in the process so testimony to how strong the bits that these toilets are made of.

Morale of the story - if something is feeling it is causing a resistance to the tank going in - don't force it!!

I chucked my Thetford and fitted a remote pump out.

Civilised and much more sense...unless you want to join the band of happy sh** carriers on the tow path every few days !

bob

Im a happy sh*t carrier, at least we dont have to pay for it to be emptied..... :lol:

Regards

Rachel

I have a Dometic 976 porta potty type which we use as a standby incase the pump out is out use.

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-Kingdom/Marine-Equipment/toilets/Product/?productdataid=82524

It seems to do a good job when needed although it does not get used much. I bought it because it fitted the space I had to store it in

Edited by jelunga

Who here has the Dometic/Sealand Vacuflush VT2510 then?! Any good?

We have a Sealand Vacuflush 4848/Dometic VT2510 12v.

It was very expensive at £1300 at the time IIRC, I see it's a lot more now!

I liked the idea because it has the advantages of a remote tank ( no smells, nothing to see )plus the advantages of a cassette ( no need to move the boat for pump outs and no pump out fees )and it does live up to these.

On the down side ( and there is always at least one, whatever you choose ) the cassettes fill up quite quickly, partly due to the amout of flush water ( which can be reduced by throttling down the supply ) and partly because the cassettes aren't very big at sixteen litres. We have three cassettes which last the two of us 5-6 days.

The instructions for use tell you to always put the lid down on the loo before flushing, this is because there can be some splash back during the cycle. This, I imagine, only happens with the electric models but I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a manual version as to whether or not they have this problem? I was also dissapointed with the installation instructions because when I ordered it I expected it to be "plug in"

But what arrived was two separate items with wiring that didn't relate and two sets of instructions which also didn't relate. This may have been improved upon by now but it would be worth asking because it caused a lot of grief at the time.

Keith

Perhaps this thread should ask the question.

How many of you have pumpout toilets, and have had to get your hands dirty unblocking something, or fixing something, or sealing the smell...

Let's all try and convince him of the beauty of the casette :)

Dean I'm all for the cassette - I dont like the thought , for example of having a massive tank of shite under my bed! Ewwwwwwww!!

But its a toss up between the vacuuflush and a standard cassette (thetford or dometic)

Has anyone given those power ball things a go (like the liquid chemical stuff) in the cassette? Do they work?

Who here has the Dometic/Sealand Vacuflush VT2510 then?! Any good?

I do. I've had it for 6 years and I'm still happy with it.

We have a Sealand Vacuflush 4848/Dometic VT2510 12v.

It was very expensive at £1300 at the time IIRC, I see it's a lot more now!

The instructions for use tell you to always put the lid down on the loo before flushing, this is because there can be some splash back during the cycle. This, I imagine, only happens with the electric models but I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a manual version as to whether or not they have this problem?

I bought mine 6 years ago and I think I paid about half of that. It must have drastically increased in price!

I don't think I'd buy one at that price. I think it's actually been discontinued now, but LeeSan still have them and lots of spares.

What is the manual version? You mean the vacuum is created with a manual pump? I've never seen that one, but it sounds good. The 12v vacuum pump creates too much vacuum in the cassette which sometimes causes a few drops of liquid to splash back onto the underside of the toilet lid.

Edited by blackrose

I do. I've had it for 6 years and I'm still happy with it.

I bought mine 6 years ago and I think I paid about half of that. It must have drastically increased in price!

I don't think I'd buy one at that price.

What is the manual version? You mean the vacuum is created with a manual pump? I've never seen that one.

Leesan are now advertising it for £1581.

I mean the manual toilet, the vacuum pump is at the cassette end.

I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing?

Keith

Perhaps this thread should ask the question.

How many of you have pumpout toilets, and have had to get your hands dirty unblocking something, or fixing something, or sealing the smell...

Let's all try and convince him of the beauty of the casette :)

Never had to unblock.

Use Harpic power cleaner down it every day..like a home loo...

Keeps valves etc clear...

Doesn't affect the 'seals'...

Empty..maybe every 3 weeks..in a swift 5 minute operation...

But then...I could always lug plastic boxes of s*** about every few days...

What a trade off...(NOT !!)

bob

Has anyone given those power ball things a go (like the liquid chemical stuff) in the cassette? Do they work?

Most people have changed from formaldehyde-based toilet blue to bio-products such as Odorloss liquid. Some people use nothing at all.

Leesan are now advertising it for £1581.

I mean the manual toilet, the vacuum pump is at the cassette end.

I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing?

Keith

Ah, mine is a manually operated toilet. A ceramic bowl with a ball/rubber seal. The flush is foot operated. How does yours work?

£1581! I'm sure I paid about 600 quid for the lot from Uxbridge boat Centre and then bought a spare cassette for 70 quid.

Never had to unblock.

Use Harpic power cleaner down it every day..like a home loo...

Keeps valves etc clear...

Doesn't affect the 'seals'...

Empty..maybe every 3 weeks..in a swift 5 minute operation...

But then...I could always lug plastic boxes of s*** about every few days...

What a trade off...(NOT !!)

bob

How does it not affect the seals? Doesn't it contain bleach?

I've had a pump out toilet on one boat and cassettes on another. Personally I'd rather lug plastic boxes of shit than have a great big tank of the stuff attached to the boat, but it's a purely personal choice and I wouldn't tell anyone else which was better for them.

Edited by blackrose

Most people have changed from formaldehyde-based toilet blue to bio-products such as Odorloss liquid. Some people use nothing at all.

Ah, mine is a manually operated toilet. A ceramic bowl with a ball/rubber seal. The flush is foot operated. How does yours work?

£1581! I'm sure I paid about 600 quid for the lot from Uxbridge boat Centre and then bought a spare cassette for 70 quid.

It's basically the same as yours except that the flush is push button electric.

Keith

I chucked my Thetford and fitted a remote pump out.

Civilised and much more sense...unless you want to join the band of happy sh** carriers on the tow path every few days !

bob

For the eight hundred thousandth time WE DONT HAVE TO CARRY THEM DOWN THE BLOODY TOWPATH Do you carry your boat down the towpath to pump it out ? No I bet you use the engine much the same as with a cassette bog you drive to the elsan and empty it there..... :rolleyes:

For the eight hundred thousandth time WE DONT HAVE TO CARRY THEM DOWN THE BLOODY TOWPATH Do you carry your boat down the towpath to pump it out ? No I bet you use the engine much the same as with a cassette bog you drive to the elsan and empty it there..... :rolleyes:

That's true - if you can take a boat to a pump out point you can just as easily take your boat to an elsan point. I guess you still have to lug the cassettes out of the boat... But one advantage of cassettes is that you don't have to move the boat if you don't want to. Cassettes are a more flexible system in that respect.

I cant say I enjoy removing the casette, shuffling down the passage and out the engine hatch with it (it can be heavy), but it only takes a few minutes to empty, and I decided it was a good tradeoff...no way I ever want to have to get my hands dirty trying to fix a broken pump solution... the fear of that, keeps me emptying casettes. If I had loads of cash, and could hire someone to fix it, I might consider it....but even in that case, I still think the casette option is fine. If you are only 2 people on a boat, a casette must last for ages anyway....in my case I empty 2 every 3 days. I once came back to the boat after Father in Law had boatsat for a week. He hadn't remembered to put in any chemicals, and I almost died when emptying it...my eyes were running and I was trying not to need to call A&E.