Ea crayfish trapping

jelunga

Featured Posts

Up to now, if you want ro trap / net crayfish in the canal, non native species, you could get a licenss/ permit from the EA FOC. this helped them do their job of eliminating ibvasive soecies. Tfe American Sugnal Crayfish is in their "Top 19" most wantwd soecies. Now rhe EA propose to charge for this annual permit from £40 to £60. There is a consultation going on. The WA web site has details. It seems a nonsensw to charge for the permit which allows trapping of these non native species. Please can I ask all here to respind to the consultation objecting to the charges on the grounds of " an own goal?"

https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/portal/ho/fish/auths is the place to go.

Up to now, if you want ro trap / net crayfish in the canal, non native species, you could get a licenss/ permit from the EA FOC. this helped them do their job of eliminating ibvasive soecies. Tfe American Sugnal Crayfish is in their "Top 19" most wantwd soecies. Now rhe EA propose to charge for this annual permit from £40 to £60. There is a consultation going on. The WA web site has details. It seems a nonsensw to charge for the permit which allows trapping of these non native species. Please can I ask all here to respind to the consultation objecting to the charges on the grounds of " an own goal?"

https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/portal/ho/fish/auths is the place to go.

And how many boaters with one trap have a FREE permit. I looked into it and if you ever move your boat its almost impossible. You have to say where you are trapping, have the riparian owners consent, send in returns. The administration of the permit must cost EA £40 I would think

I know nothing about crayfish, but have you got a bandage on yoir typing fonger? :)

Good point. When I use the keyboard on the laptop, my spelling is almost perfect. When I use my finger on the Ipod screen all sorts of letters come up, and it is not easy to correct them in a reasonable period of time, so you all have to guess.

This is from my laptop keyboard. Not bad eh?

I know nothing about crayfish, but have you got a bandage on yoir typing fonger? :)

Boil for 5 minutes until a nice pink colour. Then shell, remove intestines, remove meat from claws if big enough otherwise just the tail is worth eating. Then saute in garlic butter. They are a bit bland and need something to make them worth eating. But I like them. Could also try dipping in a sweet chilli suace or balsamic vinegar.

Any recipies, before I invest in a trap?

I caught a nice big brown one in my tyre fender a few days ago - and put it back in the canal.

If it was one of the native crayfish, well done. They are a protected species.

If it was an American Signal, with red bits on their claws, you have broken the law. They must be destroyed if caught. See the EA web site for pictures of each type

They grow up to 12", now one of those would make a decent meal.

The biggest ones I have seen so far were scurrying around on the cill of the bottom lock on the Northampton Arm. Were were moored just above it overnight and I looked in with a torch while taking the dog for a walk

The biggest ones I have seen so far were scurrying around on the cill of the bottom lock on the Northampton Arm. Were were moored just above it overnight and I looked in with a torch while taking the dog for a walk

For the last couple of months we have been travelling from the K & A to Ripon and I had the trap out all the way but just before Fradley I didnt get another crayfish and stopped putting the trap out.

We are now at Clarence Dock, Leeds on the return journey south, so I,m wondering does anyone know is it worth putting it out again?

Anybody caught any on the Leeds and Liverpool?

If it was one of the native crayfish, well done. They are a protected species.

If it was an American Signal, with red bits on their claws, you have broken the law. They must be destroyed if caught. See the EA web site for pictures of each type

I can't really tell from the EA pdf. The pictures are not very explicit. I think it was either a white-clawed or a noble. But that's just on the basis that I saw no reddish colour on it in the short time it was on the roof of my boat. Its body was about 70mm long.

Edited by Robin2

For the last couple of months we have been travelling from the K & A to Ripon and I had the trap out all the way but just before Fradley I didnt get another crayfish and stopped putting the trap out.

We are now at Clarence Dock, Leeds on the return journey south, so I,m wondering does anyone know is it worth putting it out again?

Anybody caught any on the Leeds and Liverpool?

I've put my trap out several times at different points on the L&L but nothing...

Either there aren't any..or they don't like Benji dog food from the bargain centre !!

bob

Slightly off topic but when we dry docked up the Runcorn Arm our hull was festooned with freshwater mussels, last docking before that was on the GU near Leighton Buzzard, none there so must have collected them somewhere on the Oxford/Thames/K&A/Shroppie. Also did a quick dry dock at Charity Dock near the Ashby not a single one! Same last week when we dry docked near Skipton.

Wonder what makes them abandon ship?

Boil for 5 minutes until a nice pink colour. Then shell, remove intestines, remove meat from claws if big enough otherwise just the tail is worth eating. Then saute in garlic butter. They are a bit bland and need something to make them worth eating. But I like them. Could also try dipping in a sweet chilli suace or balsamic vinegar.

Catch them 24/48 hours before the planned barby.....

After catching, put 'em in a bucket of fresh water for 24/48 hours with nothing to eat. Change the water 2/3 times a day. They taste a whole lot better ;)

I'll let you work out why :sick:

Edited by Proper Job

We currently on the Lea/Lee at Hertford. The Barge pub next to the river is having a crayfish catching day over the BH weekend. Kids under 12 get prizes for the best looking, largest crayfish caught etc. They do this every year apparently. Loads on them around here.

No, you just need a crayfish trap, and some bait.

Having a licence will make no difference, I predict.

Excellent, glad a crayfish thread has come up just before I'm due to take a boat out for a week! Has anybody had luck catching them on the constituent parts of the Avon ring?

Mike's post piqued my curiosity so I asked the question. This is what I got in reply.....

Good afternoon Sir

In answer to you question - What is the punishment/penalty for being caught crayfish trapping without an authorisation?

This is offence under section 27b of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries act 1975.

This holds a maximum fine of £50,000. This figure is determined by the courts and would be based on the circumstances of the offence.

This is a criminal offence and will result in a criminal record for the offender.

I hope this is clear and if you have any other questions or queries please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Stuart Maskell

Fish Movements Administration Officer

FM Team

Environment Agency

Bromholme Lane

Huntingdon

Cambridgeshire

PE28 4NE

• 3 weeks later...

There are couple of reasons for the need for a licence:

1: The american crayfish carries crayfish plague, which it appears to be immune to but the native crayfish dies from, therefore traps shoud be sterilised when moving sites (if you don;t know what the local population is)

2: Crayfish are cannabalistic, the old ones prey on the young, thereby helping to regulate the population. If you take all the biguns out there will be a rapid population increase.

The reason for the licence is to ensure the preventation of the spread of the plague and to monitor and restrict where trapping is allowed. Local knowledge is a great thing.

So if you like free food, fair enough but if you think your helping control the numbers and do something for biodiversity etc I'm afraid its an own goal !